CF patient story on NY Med tonight

Andi2007

NY Med on ABC at 10p EST. Show features stories of actual patients in NY hospitals. Tonight's show includes a CF patient. FYI if anyone wants to tune in.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Great story last night. It reminded me EXACTLY what I felt like before & after I had my double lung transplant. Lyndsay did a perefect job explaining her emotions and the whole experience. I'm happy to know there are other women out there just like me.

W

windex125

I watched the show and thought it did a great job esp. when the doctor said the old lungs looked like glue they were quite dark compared to those pretty pink new ones. My xray looks very similar when I heard she climbs 6 flights to her apt. I thought wow that is really great. Pat- 57/CF

Redneck2009

i thought it was a waste of time to watch. never heard of the show prior, watched it for the cf story (was told it was a documentary) and will never watch it again lol show is nothing but a reality drama story of a nurse whose nothing but a *keeping my unkind words to myself* going between 2 guys... the cf story was interesting but was not what i had thought it was... watched a stupid hour long show for one good story

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
They show different personal stories of the doctor's and nurses on each episode. You happened to watch the *keeping my unkind words to myself* nurse on an inconvenient episode. I was a little disturbed by that too but it doesn't keep me from watching it again.

What did you think the CF story was going to be like? You mentioned it wasn't what you thought it was...

athanasia

I also thought there would me more about the transplant on there but oh well. I really wish they hadn't followed that nurse with her private life. I get showing that they are people too but we can watch Greys for that part, especially those kinds of issues. I can see if it had to do with the job but it didn't. The show needs to stick with actual medical stuff IMO.

As far as the transplant part went, I teared up when they showed her beautiful new lungs! I just finished going to school to be an organ procurement coordinator and spent my summer interning and being in the OR when they removed organs and packed them up to take to the recipient hospital. The lady that asked the doctor if there was any defects was the coordinator doing my job! I got to see 8 sets of lungs recovered (not harvested, that is a bad word in the community and I was VERY disappointed to hear the surgeon's wife use it on the show) and they are so beautiful to see up close! I asked for pics of my old lungs and they were worse than hers because I was worse then she was when I got my transplant. I didn't walk into the hospital or even get the call. I was on the vent in a coma when lungs came in and they debated whether or not I could even handle the surgery. I am glad they showed a glimpse into what our lives are like and I agree that Lyndsay did a great job explaining what it feels like.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I got to see 8 sets of lungs recovered (not harvested, that is a bad word in the community and I was VERY disappointed to hear the surgeon's wife use it on the show) and they are so beautiful to see up close!

I don't appreciate the word "Harvested" either! It doesn't sound like an appropriate term to use with organ donation. I heard that being used on my local news a few times.

I think that is really neat that you actually get to SEE some of that stuff as part of your job :)

I think Lyndsay deserved more camera time to share her story further but I understand the show is more about documenting a variety of medical conditions.

Redneck2009

like i said i was told it was a documentary on cf, not just a small clip of a girl with cf getting a lung transplant. i thought it was going to be a whole episode/show on cf. and i agree anthan, in my internship as a paramedic i got to do alot of time in the OR so i could practice intubations and then id stay to watch some of the surgeries that seemed interesting, and i got to see some really cool surgeries, never a true transplant though, however seeing the actual organs withing the body for your own eyes up close is a pretty cool experience!

P

pencf

I finally watched it a few nights ago. I DVR'ed it, and my daughter (17 w/CF) asked me about it. She ended up watching it by herself, and previously the Breathless Bride and 65roses. I guess based on how the show works, jumping from 'case' to 'case', the time only allowed for the 'highlights' (terrible word I know) of the CF patient. At least they were talking about CF on national television, I think as long as people keep hearing the words cystic fibrosis, it can only help the cause to fund the cure! However, I felt like they trivialized how drastic and dyer an issue transplant really is, and then literally made the viewer think that, BAM, throw in some new lungs and your off surfing. That was unfair to every person who has had any transplant.
I will say, I did think it was powerful to see the lungs themselves, both the old CF lungs, and the new beautiful pink ones, very moving. If only there were enough organs for everyone who needs them. If you believe in the here after or NOT, where you are going, you obviously don't need your organs any longer!