CF & preterm delivery

LouLou

We've all heard CF moms deliver babies early. I've heard on average between week 35-37. We've discussed in other posts how this might not be so much to do with our lungs but rather our pancreatic issues.

I thought it would be good for us moms-to-be to understand more about going early and cf labor in general.

-Did your body really start to go into labor early or did the doctor intervene in some manner to encourage an early delivery?

-If so why?

-Did your body kick in and know what to do (dialation and effacement) or did your labor stall requiring intervention?

-If so, what was the intervention - any pros/cons on the experience now that you are through it hopefully with healthy baby and mommy?

-Did the baby show distress?

-Did you get intervention of some sort you weren't totally for but were persuaded to do so. If so, 20/20 hinesight was it a good decision why or why not?

-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.) Looking back was this a good correlation?

-Now that you've done this once (or more), how would you approach your pregnancy/labor/delivery differently? Be as specific as possible.

What else?

LouLou

We've all heard CF moms deliver babies early. I've heard on average between week 35-37. We've discussed in other posts how this might not be so much to do with our lungs but rather our pancreatic issues.

I thought it would be good for us moms-to-be to understand more about going early and cf labor in general.

-Did your body really start to go into labor early or did the doctor intervene in some manner to encourage an early delivery?

-If so why?

-Did your body kick in and know what to do (dialation and effacement) or did your labor stall requiring intervention?

-If so, what was the intervention - any pros/cons on the experience now that you are through it hopefully with healthy baby and mommy?

-Did you get intervention of some sort you weren't totally for but were persuaded to do so. If so, 20/20 hinesight was it a good decision why or why not?

-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.) Looking back was this a good correlation?

-Now that you've done this once (or more), how would you approach your pregnancy/labor/delivery differently? Be as specific as possible.

What else?

LouLou

-If so why?

What else?

wanderlost

<b>-Did your body really start to go into labor early or did the doctor intervene in some manner to encourage an early delivery? </b>-

with my son, my water broke when i got up to pee in the middle of the night - I was 34.5 weeks. I rushed to the hospital thinking they might try to stop my labor, but they said after 34 weeks they usually let moms deliver. With my daughter, I was 36 weeks. I felt what I thought were mild labor pains the night before - I drank some vodka and they went away - the next morning they were back. My water broke about 1 1/2 hours after I realized that I was starting labor. I stayed home and labored for about 3 of the 3 1/2 hours of my labor

Both my kids weere almost the exact same size : son - 5lbs 7oz 18 in, daughter: 5lbs 5 oz 18.5 in

<b>-Did your body kick in and know what to do (dialation and effacement) or did your labor stall requiring intervention? </b>
absolutely - both of my labors were quick (relatively) and efficient - once my body began there were no problems at all
<b>

-If so, what was the intervention - any pros/cons on the experience now that you are through it hopefully with healthy baby and mommy?</b>

not an intervention, but I had nubain, demerol, and an epidural with my son (the nubain and demerol were me trying not to get an epidural - looking back, that demerol was the worst thing in the world I could have done). I also had an episiotomy with my son. My daughter's birth was 100% natural and no episiotomy and it was such a better experience in every way possible.

<b>-Did the baby show distress? </b>

my son, no, never. My daughter I can't really say because I had no monitoring, but she came out perfectly, so i guess not

<b>
-Did you get intervention of some sort you weren't totally for but were persuaded to do so. If so, 20/20 hinesight was it a good decision why or why not? </b>

see above about the epidural - I was completely bullied and persuaded to get it by my mom, step mom, and doctors. I regret it 100% - my daughter's birth was such an amazing and thrilling experience I would prefer to have 10 babies that way then strapped down to machines and monitors like I was with my son. In fact, if we have any more babies we are having a home birth.

<b>-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.) Looking back was this a good correlation? </b>

nope. There was some talk about if I would need pulmonary care with my son before I went in to labor, but it was never an issue whatsoever once I got to the hospital. I think my docs were just planning worst case scenario and had no experience with Cf moms.

<b>-Now that you've done this once (or more), how would you approach your pregnancy/labor/delivery differently? Be as specific as possible. </b>

again see above - if we do it again, we are doing it at home. My daughter's birth was almost 100% free of any medical intervention and it was lovely. It sort of reminded me of an great drug trip - maybe not the best corrleation if you haven't experienced that or had a bad time, but it was this super intense crazy animalistic experience and once it was over it was like "whoa man, I just gave birth" in sort of a lovey trippy high on life way (I have no idea if this makes snese to anyone but me)

<b>What position were you in when you delivered? </b>

son - on my back like a dummy - i wanted to squat but wasn't allowed because of the spidural. Daughter - hands and knees until she crowned and then she had a nuchal cord so I had to roll over so they could cut it

<b>What position was your baby in? </b>

both were....the "right way" - head down facing my back (occipital??)

wanderlost

<b>-Did your body really start to go into labor early or did the doctor intervene in some manner to encourage an early delivery? </b>-

with my son, my water broke when i got up to pee in the middle of the night - I was 34.5 weeks. I rushed to the hospital thinking they might try to stop my labor, but they said after 34 weeks they usually let moms deliver. With my daughter, I was 36 weeks. I felt what I thought were mild labor pains the night before - I drank some vodka and they went away - the next morning they were back. My water broke about 1 1/2 hours after I realized that I was starting labor. I stayed home and labored for about 3 of the 3 1/2 hours of my labor

Both my kids weere almost the exact same size : son - 5lbs 7oz 18 in, daughter: 5lbs 5 oz 18.5 in

<b>-Did your body kick in and know what to do (dialation and effacement) or did your labor stall requiring intervention? </b>
absolutely - both of my labors were quick (relatively) and efficient - once my body began there were no problems at all
<b>

-If so, what was the intervention - any pros/cons on the experience now that you are through it hopefully with healthy baby and mommy?</b>

not an intervention, but I had nubain, demerol, and an epidural with my son (the nubain and demerol were me trying not to get an epidural - looking back, that demerol was the worst thing in the world I could have done). I also had an episiotomy with my son. My daughter's birth was 100% natural and no episiotomy and it was such a better experience in every way possible.

my son, no, never. My daughter I can't really say because I had no monitoring, but she came out perfectly, so i guess not

<b>
-Did you get intervention of some sort you weren't totally for but were persuaded to do so. If so, 20/20 hinesight was it a good decision why or why not? </b>

see above about the epidural - I was completely bullied and persuaded to get it by my mom, step mom, and doctors. I regret it 100% - my daughter's birth was such an amazing and thrilling experience I would prefer to have 10 babies that way then strapped down to machines and monitors like I was with my son. In fact, if we have any more babies we are having a home birth.

<b>-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.) Looking back was this a good correlation? </b>

nope. There was some talk about if I would need pulmonary care with my son before I went in to labor, but it was never an issue whatsoever once I got to the hospital. I think my docs were just planning worst case scenario and had no experience with Cf moms.

<b>-Now that you've done this once (or more), how would you approach your pregnancy/labor/delivery differently? Be as specific as possible. </b>

again see above - if we do it again, we are doing it at home. My daughter's birth was almost 100% free of any medical intervention and it was lovely. It sort of reminded me of an great drug trip - maybe not the best corrleation if you haven't experienced that or had a bad time, but it was this super intense crazy animalistic experience and once it was over it was like "whoa man, I just gave birth" in sort of a lovey trippy high on life way (I have no idea if this makes snese to anyone but me)

son - on my back like a dummy - i wanted to squat but wasn't allowed because of the spidural. Daughter - hands and knees until she crowned and then she had a nuchal cord so I had to roll over so they could cut it

wanderlost

<b>

<b>

MamatoAlexa

My water broke at 34 weeks. Regular contractions started shortly after my water broke. I was 2 cm once I got to the hospital.
At 34 weeks they will not stop labor but avoid trying to speed it up unless Mom or Baby are at risk and need to deliver.
About 22 hours after my water broke I got an epi and they started pitocin.

-If so why?
The decision to start pit. was made because I started to run a fever. Since my water broke there was a risk of infection.

My body pretty much knew what to do. I was slowly progressing on my own. Once the epi was in and I was able to relax my body a bit more I progressed faster. Once the pit was started I progressed really fast.

I would not change my birth experience. I had hoped for a drug free birth. I knew I would get an epi if I felt I needed to rest up before delivery. After 22 hours of labor I needed to rest so I got the epi. No regrets!

Not that I know of. Our nurse commented a few times that the baby was doing really well with the epi and pit. I only pushed for about 10 minutes but about half way through they had me roll onto my left side. I am not sure if that was for me or the baby or both.

No. They only checked my cervix twice the entire time because my water had already broke. The monitors around my belly did not bother me.

-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.)
I was not discouraged from doing anything.
We agreed that a c-section would make recovery a bit more complicated but I was hoping for a natural birth so a c-section would have been for emergency purposes.
I was really encouraged by my CF team to breastfeed. Their support was amazing!

I am hoping to do it all over again. My only real hope is that I can remain pregnant past 34 weeks! If I get to do it all over again I would still hope for a drug free birth but if the decision is made that baby needs to be delivered I am fine with drugs to speed that up. I trust my medical team. Just like before, if I feel I need to rest to make it through delivery I will get an epi so I can have some down time to recharge for the big event.

MamatoAlexa

My water broke at 34 weeks. Regular contractions started shortly after my water broke. I was 2 cm once I got to the hospital.
At 34 weeks they will not stop labor but avoid trying to speed it up unless Mom or Baby are at risk and need to deliver.

-If so why?
The decision to start pit. was made because I started to run a fever. Since my water broke there was a risk of infection.

My body pretty much knew what to do. I was slowly progressing on my own. Once the epi was in and I was able to relax my body a bit more I progressed faster. Once the pit was started I progressed really fast.

I would not change my birth experience. I had hoped for a drug free birth. I knew I would get an epi if I felt I needed to rest up before delivery. After 22 hours of labor I needed to rest so I got the epi. No regrets!

Not that I know of. Our nurse commented a few times that the baby was doing really well with the epi and pit. I only pushed for about 10 minutes but about half way through they had me roll onto my left side. I am not sure if that was for me or the baby or both.

No. They only checked my cervix twice the entire time because my water had already broke. The monitors around my belly did not bother me.

-For purely CF reasons were you highly encouraged to do or not do anything to do with labor and delivery or mothering in general? (epidurals, c-section, breastfeeding, etc.)
We agreed that a c-section would make recovery a bit more complicated but I was hoping for a natural birth so a c-section would have been for emergency purposes.

I am hoping to do it all over again. My only real hope is that I can remain pregnant past 34 weeks! If I get to do it all over again I would still hope for a drug free birth but if the decision is made that baby needs to be delivered I am fine with drugs to speed that up. I trust my medical team. Just like before, if I feel I need to rest to make it through delivery I will get an epi so I can have some down time to recharge for the big event.

MamatoAlexa

-If so why?

MamatoAlexa

What position were you in when you delivered?
On my side, knees bent and head elevated. Almost in a sitting position.

What position was your baby in?
She was in the correct position for birthing.

MamatoAlexa

MamatoAlexa