CF Related Diabetes

TeenwithCF

I was diagnosed with C.F. when I was three months old. I'm 16 now and I was diagnosed today with C.F. related Diabetes and I was wondering what people with C.F. needed to change in terms of lifestyle, exercise, eating habits, daily routine things and such to keep it under control. Thanks
also check out my blog <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://youngcfcommunity.blogspot.com/
">http://youngcfcommunity.blogspot.com/
</a>

TeenwithCF

I was diagnosed with C.F. when I was three months old. I'm 16 now and I was diagnosed today with C.F. related Diabetes and I was wondering what people with C.F. needed to change in terms of lifestyle, exercise, eating habits, daily routine things and such to keep it under control. Thanks
also check out my blog <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://youngcfcommunity.blogspot.com/
</a>

TeenwithCF

</a>

TeenwithCF

</a>

TeenwithCF

<br />also check out my blog <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://youngcfcommunity.blogspot.com/
</a><br />

torilovex089

Hi Sofia. I was diagnosed with CF at 4 yrs. When I turned 15 I was then diagnosed with CF related diabetes. Now I don't know exactley how severe your case is b/c everyones body is different. Luckily for me my sugars have never been a problem and they stay in the 90/100s. I would definatley reccomend you exercise.. even if you can't tolerate much exercise, any bit counts! Now for me, my CF doctor has no restrictions on my diet .. just that with any CFer, to eat as many calories as possible! =) But then again, in your case it may be different so talk to your doctor. Also make sure to check your sugars frequently! Exspecially if you are feeling a little funny. I know when I get a little low I start to get light headed and sweat so I will check my sugar and then eat something. Your endocrinologist might have talked to you about the insulin pump. I personally don't have one, but if my sugars ever started getting out of wack and I had to start checking them more often I would deffinetley not turn it down! But otherwise having CF induced diabetes really isn't that bad. As long as you maintain your health and do as your doctor says you will do good. Best of luck to you.

Tori 20yrsw/CF

torilovex089

Hi Sofia. I was diagnosed with CF at 4 yrs. When I turned 15 I was then diagnosed with CF related diabetes. Now I don't know exactley how severe your case is b/c everyones body is different. Luckily for me my sugars have never been a problem and they stay in the 90/100s. I would definatley reccomend you exercise.. even if you can't tolerate much exercise, any bit counts! Now for me, my CF doctor has no restrictions on my diet .. just that with any CFer, to eat as many calories as possible! =) But then again, in your case it may be different so talk to your doctor. Also make sure to check your sugars frequently! Exspecially if you are feeling a little funny. I know when I get a little low I start to get light headed and sweat so I will check my sugar and then eat something. Your endocrinologist might have talked to you about the insulin pump. I personally don't have one, but if my sugars ever started getting out of wack and I had to start checking them more often I would deffinetley not turn it down! But otherwise having CF induced diabetes really isn't that bad. As long as you maintain your health and do as your doctor says you will do good. Best of luck to you.

Tori 20yrsw/CF

torilovex089

Tori 20yrsw/CF

torilovex089

Tori 20yrsw/CF

torilovex089

<br />
<br />Tori 20yrsw/CF

Malachy10000000

Hi im malachy and i was diagnosed at birth. I was diagnosed with CF related diabetes at 11 years and I mine is under control! After an increase in eating and tube feedings my sugars went to the 300's and when I was on the steroid prednisone mine went to the 500's. They still do without insulin but now I have an insulin pump which is VERY useful. I only have to put one needle in every three days and then take it out while the tubing stays in, you put it in the stomach. Oh and you just replace the pump with insulin every three days, the adhesive is very sticky and so taking a shower will NOT take it off. For more info on the pump go to www.medtronics.com or type in medtronic insulin pump on google. My sugars are doing great and are under control with the pump and its very easy to use; also it is convienent. Anyways with CFRD I can eat whatever i want, since we have CF we need to eat a lot in order to keep our weight up and fight infections, and all i have to do is give myself insulin. Now that doesnt mean you can drink a liter of soda or a bag of candy everyday, but that you can still eat as much as you want as long as you cover your carbs and sugar blood level. Although I dont know what your doctors want for you so I would say to LISTEN TO THEM IF THEY SAY DIFFERENTLY THEN MY DOCTOR! I just want you to know that CFRD is very managable and doesnt effect my life very much now that I have the insulin pump. So talk to your doctor and see what you can do!

Malachy10000000

Hi im malachy and i was diagnosed at birth. I was diagnosed with CF related diabetes at 11 years and I mine is under control! After an increase in eating and tube feedings my sugars went to the 300's and when I was on the steroid prednisone mine went to the 500's. They still do without insulin but now I have an insulin pump which is VERY useful. I only have to put one needle in every three days and then take it out while the tubing stays in, you put it in the stomach. Oh and you just replace the pump with insulin every three days, the adhesive is very sticky and so taking a shower will NOT take it off. For more info on the pump go to www.medtronics.com or type in medtronic insulin pump on google. My sugars are doing great and are under control with the pump and its very easy to use; also it is convienent. Anyways with CFRD I can eat whatever i want, since we have CF we need to eat a lot in order to keep our weight up and fight infections, and all i have to do is give myself insulin. Now that doesnt mean you can drink a liter of soda or a bag of candy everyday, but that you can still eat as much as you want as long as you cover your carbs and sugar blood level. Although I dont know what your doctors want for you so I would say to LISTEN TO THEM IF THEY SAY DIFFERENTLY THEN MY DOCTOR! I just want you to know that CFRD is very managable and doesnt effect my life very much now that I have the insulin pump. So talk to your doctor and see what you can do!

Malachy10000000

Malachy10000000

Malachy10000000

mellybean17

I was diagnosed with CFRD right after my fifteenth b-day, almost a year ago. I'm supposed to use 6 units of insulin a night, but I don't do it that often. I exercise a lot, and do a lot of running, so my sugars usually stay pretty good. CFRD isn't as bad as the other types of diabetes, but you still need to be careful. It hasnt changed my life that much, except for checking my blood sugar twice a day. I just think of it as another med to take. :]

mellybean17

I was diagnosed with CFRD right after my fifteenth b-day, almost a year ago. I'm supposed to use 6 units of insulin a night, but I don't do it that often. I exercise a lot, and do a lot of running, so my sugars usually stay pretty good. CFRD isn't as bad as the other types of diabetes, but you still need to be careful. It hasnt changed my life that much, except for checking my blood sugar twice a day. I just think of it as another med to take. :]

mellybean17

mellybean17

mellybean17