Cf symptoms appearing when breastfeeding/nursing discontinued?

LouLou

I've heard that some cfers don't start to show symptoms until they are weaned. I wondered if any of your children experienced this.

I'm still nursing Isaac but am getting ready for admission for a PICC and embolization on myself (remember I have cf too). I have a backlog of pumped breast milk that he will be fed while I'm in the hospital and then when I return depending on what we decide regarding the risk factors of the IV meds I will continue to breastfeed or wait to restart until after the PICC is pulled. Of course I'll be pumping to keep my supply in.

I'm realizing some of my dedication to bf'ing is that I'm scared if I stop Isaac will start to show symptoms. I guess I wonder how often this really happens. I'm looking for good and bad stories. Trust me this isn't the only reason I'm breastfeeding...I love the bond, the time with my son and that I'm giving him the very best mother nature intended for him to have.

LouLou

I've heard that some cfers don't start to show symptoms until they are weaned. I wondered if any of your children experienced this.

I'm still nursing Isaac but am getting ready for admission for a PICC and embolization on myself (remember I have cf too). I have a backlog of pumped breast milk that he will be fed while I'm in the hospital and then when I return depending on what we decide regarding the risk factors of the IV meds I will continue to breastfeed or wait to restart until after the PICC is pulled. Of course I'll be pumping to keep my supply in.

I'm realizing some of my dedication to bf'ing is that I'm scared if I stop Isaac will start to show symptoms. I guess I wonder how often this really happens. I'm looking for good and bad stories. Trust me this isn't the only reason I'm breastfeeding...I love the bond, the time with my son and that I'm giving him the very best mother nature intended for him to have.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

M

Mommafirst

Hi Lauren --

My daughter was born pancreatic sufficient and has one rare mutation that is believed to be consistent with pancreatic sufficiency (but there are only 6 known patients with it, 5, including my daughter are PS). Anyway, I was concerned about the end of breastfeeding issue as well. She weaned at 13 months. At 19 months they ran another fecal fat on her, and her pancratic numbers had dropped. She is not quite low enough to be considered PI, but she is hoovering on the cutoff point right now and is expected to lose sufficiency as time goes by. She's already on enzymes now anyway, to help her gain weight. Whether or not this has anything to do with weaning is really unclear to me...it could have happened regardless or it could be related.

I don't know of any discussion about lung involvement beginning after weaning. My daughter still has no lung involvement, but cultures Staph and has since she was 8 months old.

I hope this helps.

Heather

M

Mommafirst

Hi Lauren --

My daughter was born pancreatic sufficient and has one rare mutation that is believed to be consistent with pancreatic sufficiency (but there are only 6 known patients with it, 5, including my daughter are PS). Anyway, I was concerned about the end of breastfeeding issue as well. She weaned at 13 months. At 19 months they ran another fecal fat on her, and her pancratic numbers had dropped. She is not quite low enough to be considered PI, but she is hoovering on the cutoff point right now and is expected to lose sufficiency as time goes by. She's already on enzymes now anyway, to help her gain weight. Whether or not this has anything to do with weaning is really unclear to me...it could have happened regardless or it could be related.

I don't know of any discussion about lung involvement beginning after weaning. My daughter still has no lung involvement, but cultures Staph and has since she was 8 months old.

I hope this helps.

Heather

M

Mommafirst

Hi Lauren --

I hope this helps.

Heather

M

Mommafirst

Hi Lauren --

I hope this helps.

Heather

M

Mommafirst

Hi Lauren --

I hope this helps.

Heather

Alyssa

My kids didn't show symptoms until age 5 years and 21 years !!! Long, long past breastfeeding had stopped :)

Best wishes !

Alyssa

My kids didn't show symptoms until age 5 years and 21 years !!! Long, long past breastfeeding had stopped :)

Best wishes !

Alyssa

Best wishes !

Alyssa

Best wishes !

Alyssa

Best wishes !

3gr8kids

same as Alyssa!!! My 6 yr old was bf for 19 mo and didnt show symptoms till 5....and his first stool showed he was ps but then his stool 3 mo later had dropped a lot so he went on enzymes......did 2nd one b/c would cry of pain after eating...gast dr showed undig food in his body.........daughtor still ps and is almost 4....we have a rare mutation too...T1162L....not trying to bog u down but they told us that our dau may never show symptoms at all but b/c i was a little nervous i had the dr do a bronch and there was a lot of mucus in her lungs...we were both surprised.....so now she is on the Incourage system............Good luck!!! Your son is adorable!

3gr8kids

same as Alyssa!!! My 6 yr old was bf for 19 mo and didnt show symptoms till 5....and his first stool showed he was ps but then his stool 3 mo later had dropped a lot so he went on enzymes......did 2nd one b/c would cry of pain after eating...gast dr showed undig food in his body.........daughtor still ps and is almost 4....we have a rare mutation too...T1162L....not trying to bog u down but they told us that our dau may never show symptoms at all but b/c i was a little nervous i had the dr do a bronch and there was a lot of mucus in her lungs...we were both surprised.....so now she is on the Incourage system............Good luck!!! Your son is adorable!

3gr8kids

3gr8kids

3gr8kids