CFFT Announces $58 Million CF Drug Discovery Agreement with PFIZER

K

kgfrompa

This truly is something to be Thankful for!!Thanks for the post!

rmotion

I am curious about a few things that I can not find the answers to:
1. What do they (Pfizer) have in mind, do they have drugs in the pipeline? Do they have more potential.
2. What research has been done prior too? it seems they are both targeting the same platform. I know they are not looking at gene or stem cell research.
3. How does this effect Vertex - does it take the wind out of their sails?
4. Does this mean the Vertex stuff is not what they were expecting?
5. Is $58m way above the amount CFFT invested in Vertex.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
This is what I have gleaned:
1) Pfizer has what FoldRX had which was some preclinical stuff. The investment's goal is to get to clinical stages by the end of the six years. They already have some in vitro stuff.
2) Research would include that they already have a screening mechanism and that they have already discovered some compounds in vitro.
3) It means Vertex will have competition. Again, I think it just shows CFF wants a cure as fast as possible and see multiple folks working the best way.
4) NO. 809 isn't enough. Everyone knows that--it is a start. Not sure yet on 661. The next generations are even better, but again more folks working for best drug best.
5) 2 years ago CFF invested $75M--$25 M for 809 and $50M for OTHER correctors. There were previous investments in both Vertex and FoldRX, but I'm not sure of the amounts. In other words, both players.

bigstar

I wonder why Pfizer keeps everything so much of a secret! Why arent they revealing their pipelines? Too much money on the game maybe? Too much compeition with Vertex?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My understanding is that most pharma don't disclose Phase 1 stuff, which is the pre-clinical because they 1) don't want to give away their ideas; and 2) don't want failures at this early stage--which are frequent--to be known.

calebf

This is awesome news. It's good to see a large pharma trying to tackle the problem. I have heard that a "2nd generation" corrector will be needed apart from 809 with a different mechanism of action to address DF508 to the extent that Kalydeco addressed G551D. Perhaps thats what they're shooting for.

dream2live - it does come down to the money. it costs tens of thousands of dollars per hour over the course of over a decade to develop any drug, especially one as revolutionary as a cf corrector. this money goes to pay highly trained doctors, researchers, and engineers with decades of combined schooling and experience. to say its evil that it comes down to the money is to say that these people shouldnt get paid for their hard work. everyone must work with limited resources. the beauty is that our economic system provides the means both in training and motivation to propel this level of innovation forward. to think this disease could be virtually cured within our lifetime goes to show how well this system works to help people. thats not sad, thats amazing.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
calebf,
Totally agree re your comment on the money!
Re the second generation correctors--yes, and Vertex already has several which when used in combo (Vertex said need 2 maybe 3 along with Kalydeco), reaching level of cftr function that kalydeco does for 551. We are getting so close!!! And I think with Vertex and Pfizer looking (with different mechanisms) we will get there even sooner.

rmotion

calebf,
Totally agree re your comment on the money!
Re the second generation correctors--yes, and Vertex already has several which when used in combo (Vertex said need 2 maybe 3 along with Kalydeco), reaching level of cftr function that kalydeco does for 551. We are getting so close!!! And I think with Vertex and Pfizer looking (with different mechanisms) we will get there even sooner.

That sooner cant get here quick enough. For us that have been at this for the last 40 years it is tough.
I remember this path with dnase, PBA, Sciclone and the counless other non starters. YOu would hope that the latest research is built on the shoulders of the research in the past. How many of us have we lost along the way. The list is long and sad.
I think the big pharma is evil comes from a complete disconect between the patients and the drug companies. As a patient we do not care if the breakthrough comes from an herb or a $300k drug - we just want a chance of life.
And the CFF is a double edge sword - when some natural remedies come out they brush under the carpet - it is just how medicine is we all want the block buster drug. Maybe there are 10 natural remedies that we can do to help in incremental amounts - gsh, curcumin, resveratrol etc. There is such confusion.
The reality is that good health for anyone is a protracted endeavor no one super drug will make you healthy - just in our case hopefully a drug to make something function and then we have to do everything we can to add to our health after that.

Note: What is anyones take on taking just VX-661 as opposed to VX-661 + VX-770 - Any research out on the study patients already taking the VX-661?