CFRD BS control

imported_Momto2

Hey folks, I was diagnosed with CFRD about a month ago, been on Novolog 3-4 times a day. I was wondering a) How much insulin do other CFRDers take? 2) What is your target daily carb intake, and 3) How tight is your control?

My wake-up BS's are usually between 110-130, 1 hour post meal between 200-300, 2 hours post meal, 150-220. (With no insulin, it goes up to 300-400 and hangs out well above 200 for hours.... ) If I take enough insulin to keep the 1 hour post-meal under 200, I often have to be very careful of the resulting hypoglycemia. How do you deal with this? Is it better to keep the 1 hour BS low, and then compensate for the crash with a glucose tab or two, OR let it go a little high and be happy that the 2-hour post meal is under 200?

Any ideas, advice, suggestions, all welcome! I adjust my insulin based on net carbs, (I take 1 unit per 15 carbs) but sometimes that does not seem like nearly enough, given post-meal readings. Thanks a bunch.

meech

I'm new to insulin too. I'm on novorapid which I believe is just Canada's name for novolog. How much insulin I take depends on how much I eat in a day, they have given me no target carb intake. Just cover my carbs with insulin. My current ration is 1 unit for 18 grams. They started at a conservative ratio to try and prevent hypos.

My morning bs are running about 117-130 (6.5-7.2 in Canada) I don't check at 1 hour post meal, the endo team just want it at below 180 at 2 hour post meal. Right now it's running closer to 200-225 so my ratio probably will need to be adjusted.

i find find food higher in fat makes me spike later and stay high longer, it may be the same for you.
good luck.

imported_Momto2

Thanks meech. I actually dont really eat fat, I have trouble keeping weight OFF, even with diet and exercise. I think I simply need to reduce my carb intake to about 100-125 a day. Which will be hard since I tend to eat tons of fruits and veggies- it all adds up quickly. Good luck to you too!

meech

I've been told a carb is a carb that 30 gram of carbs from ice cream will affect my blood sugar the same as 30 grams of carbs from whole wheat bread. I haven't found that the case with myself. I had a big bowl of banana and cantaloupe the other day and my 2 hour bs was 110, one of the best it's been. So I'm testing a lot to see how different foods affect me. Keeping weight on was never an issue with me either but they think my pancreas is having some problems now. If you really like fruits I've read that berries aren't supposed to spike your bs as much, might be worth a try, and as I just had some this morning cantaloupe only had 11g net carb for 5 ounces!

imported_Momto2

Oh I wish I could eat a lot of fruit!!!! It sends my BS nutso :( I have to be super careful to have any fruit with insulin and protein, and keep the portions small. IN the good old days I would chomp about 5 servings of fruit a day. Not any more. Now its 2-3, and carefully chosen with respect to carbs. Luckly I can still eat lots of fresh veggies, but I love sweet potatoes and all types of winter squash....gotta ration them too. I have found that quinoa is much better for my BS than rice or noodles. Makes sense, given the fiber and protein content. Have you found any other grains to be less reactive?

meech

I seem to not be to bad with rye bread for some reason, I can't have any white pasta at all. Even with the insulin, sends me high still every time, maybe if my ratio is adjusted. We have something here called cateli smart pasta, it's white pasta (and tastes like it) but got the high fibre like whole wheat pasta. That I can eat.

vbs420

First off: a carb is NOT a carb!!!

Processed and/or refined sugars (found in most packaged or prepared "food") will hit your bg harder and faster than a natural sugar.

The combination of protein and fiber with carbohydrate will reduce the effect of the carb while taking longer to metabolise. Think: softer and slower.

Exercise will affect your bg up to 24 hours AFTER the exercise.

Stress also causes changes to the efficacy of insulin.

When I was diagnosed with CFrD, I took a month of work, and it took another 6 months or so before I was able to stabilise my insulin / carb / bg love triangle.

I was two years injecting, and now 5 years pumping, and nothing has really changed! Always have to count carbs and make guesses on the effects of exercise and stress.

As well, lung function affects bg, as well as some antibiotics.

PM me if you want more detail; I've become an expert in this!