CFRD in toddlers

Luke08

Hi, I just wanted to add my opinion - which seems to differ from most of your replies. We noticed our son (waiting on Ambry Genetics CF results) who is 20 mos. was peeing and drinking a lot. We too, assumed it was normal. After a few weeks of this, he almost died. He went into ketoacidosis and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My point is, you're the parent, which means - you're the advocate. Get tests done sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

Luke08

Hi, I just wanted to add my opinion - which seems to differ from most of your replies. We noticed our son (waiting on Ambry Genetics CF results) who is 20 mos. was peeing and drinking a lot. We too, assumed it was normal. After a few weeks of this, he almost died. He went into ketoacidosis and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My point is, you're the parent, which means - you're the advocate. Get tests done sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

Luke08

Luke08

Luke08

rotandroll

As far as I know early CFRD is fairly rare but I was diagnosed at age five and on insulin therapy by age eleven. I don't have antibodies for type one diabetes so I definitely have CF-related. Trust your instincts and have testing done!

rotandroll

As far as I know early CFRD is fairly rare but I was diagnosed at age five and on insulin therapy by age eleven. I don't have antibodies for type one diabetes so I definitely have CF-related. Trust your instincts and have testing done!

rotandroll

rotandroll

rotandroll

pjspiegle

I agree with some of the other posts. Have them look at everything and do not give up until you get an answer or feel good that nothing is being missed.

I will tell you that CFRD can be hard to get diagnosed. Nathan was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 10 and it took me going to his regular peditrician and getting her to give me a glucose monitor so that I could check his numbers for a couple of weeks. I checked them every morning before he ate or drank anything and then did a couple of random checks during the day. I took those numbers to the pulmonary doc and finally got it diagnosed. The glucose check (3hour test) did not work for him. Yours is a little younger so I am not sure what the norms are but I know that for kids the range is anything below 110 in the am before anything to eat or drink is normal and anything below 150 randomly is normal, anything higher is not. Your pediatrician should be able to tell you what the ranges are for your kiddo.

But agian, I also encourage you to get them to check the liver and kidneys as well, just to make sure.

LOL

pjspiegle

I agree with some of the other posts. Have them look at everything and do not give up until you get an answer or feel good that nothing is being missed.

I will tell you that CFRD can be hard to get diagnosed. Nathan was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 10 and it took me going to his regular peditrician and getting her to give me a glucose monitor so that I could check his numbers for a couple of weeks. I checked them every morning before he ate or drank anything and then did a couple of random checks during the day. I took those numbers to the pulmonary doc and finally got it diagnosed. The glucose check (3hour test) did not work for him. Yours is a little younger so I am not sure what the norms are but I know that for kids the range is anything below 110 in the am before anything to eat or drink is normal and anything below 150 randomly is normal, anything higher is not. Your pediatrician should be able to tell you what the ranges are for your kiddo.

But agian, I also encourage you to get them to check the liver and kidneys as well, just to make sure.

LOL

pjspiegle

LOL

pjspiegle

LOL

pjspiegle

LOL

JazzysMom

When they are little it is difficult to tell at times because its YOUR observation & interpretation of things versus their input that leads you to take whatever actions.

If you are not sure then get the test done. Its actually one of the less invasive things a CFer has to have done over the years so you are better to get a handle on it now if it is a legit concern.

IF tests come back negative this time & all the "signs" persist then follow up.

JazzysMom

When they are little it is difficult to tell at times because its YOUR observation & interpretation of things versus their input that leads you to take whatever actions.

If you are not sure then get the test done. Its actually one of the less invasive things a CFer has to have done over the years so you are better to get a handle on it now if it is a legit concern.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom