CFRD Insulin Pump or Not; HELP

pjspiegle

After having CFRD for 3 years, we are now talking about a insulin pump for Nathan. He was not to excited about it as he had some friends with one and did not like the idea of the tubing and thing like a pager being worn all the time. However, they now have one that has no tubing and the pager thing does not have to be worn as it communicates wirelessly. So this one, OmniPod, is very interesting to him.

We pretty much know most of the positives, the big one being no more 4 to 8 shots per day, but wondering if there are any negatives we should be aware of?

This one is also waterproof and does not have to be removed for showers, baths, or swimming.

Is there reasons why CFRD patients should not get a pump? Does CF have any role in making this decision?

Any information and or advice would be helpful,

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

pjspiegle

After having CFRD for 3 years, we are now talking about a insulin pump for Nathan. He was not to excited about it as he had some friends with one and did not like the idea of the tubing and thing like a pager being worn all the time. However, they now have one that has no tubing and the pager thing does not have to be worn as it communicates wirelessly. So this one, OmniPod, is very interesting to him.

We pretty much know most of the positives, the big one being no more 4 to 8 shots per day, but wondering if there are any negatives we should be aware of?

This one is also waterproof and does not have to be removed for showers, baths, or swimming.

Is there reasons why CFRD patients should not get a pump? Does CF have any role in making this decision?

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

Skye

I had ALL of the same concerns about a pump. I can honestly say: I NEVER REGRET for one minute getting a pump. IT IS THE BEST!!!!!!! With the constant basal rate that is used, the insulin levels are much more steady. No extreme highs and no extreme lows!!!!!!!! Care is soooo much easier. I have had mine for about 6 years and I wish I had done it years earlier. With regards to CF and the insulin pump. GREAT!!! During hospitalizations or need for steroids, rates can be easily adjusted to compensate for infections or effects of steroids. You are not bound by a 3 mealss 3 snacks routine and if you want or need to eat extra some days you can!!!!!! Most diabetic athletes or active adults much prefer the insulin pump. My AIC is always below 6.0! If your son or you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Skye

I had ALL of the same concerns about a pump. I can honestly say: I NEVER REGRET for one minute getting a pump. IT IS THE BEST!!!!!!! With the constant basal rate that is used, the insulin levels are much more steady. No extreme highs and no extreme lows!!!!!!!! Care is soooo much easier. I have had mine for about 6 years and I wish I had done it years earlier. With regards to CF and the insulin pump. GREAT!!! During hospitalizations or need for steroids, rates can be easily adjusted to compensate for infections or effects of steroids. You are not bound by a 3 mealss 3 snacks routine and if you want or need to eat extra some days you can!!!!!! Most diabetic athletes or active adults much prefer the insulin pump. My AIC is always below 6.0! If your son or you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Skye

Skye

Skye