CFRD & snacks

Uli

I do use only Humalog, a short acting insulin and I do it with everything I eat that contains carbs.
If you don´t want to give yourselve a shot with snacks too, eat cheese, ham, eggs for a snack, so you don´t need to.

Uli,44,Germany

PLUCKY

i will ditto lindsey and them saying i use a pump now as anytime you eat carbs you need to test and give insulin.

PLUCKY

i will ditto lindsey and them saying i use a pump now as anytime you eat carbs you need to test and give insulin.

PLUCKY

CaliSally

Just a side note:
There are a lot of variables to b/s numbers...not just food.

Exercise can help and it can hurt.
I've been told that if your b/s is 250+, exercise will cause your sugars to go up!
249 and below, exercise will help them go down.
(249/250 being a relative number, yours may be slightly higher or lower)

Stress hormones cause your sugars to go up too. If you've had a bad night's sleep, that can cause stress on your body, sugars can go up. Are there any other stresses in your life? Family, hospitalizations...?

Also, some meds can cause sugars to go up - <b>especially prednizone</b>! (sp?)
Another med that caused mine to go up was Megase (an appetite stimulant).

Keep all these things in mind.
Best wishes

CaliSally

Just a side note:

I've been told that if your b/s is 250+, exercise will cause your sugars to go up!

Stress hormones cause your sugars to go up too. If you've had a bad night's sleep, that can cause stress on your body, sugars can go up. Are there any other stresses in your life? Family, hospitalizations...?

Best wishes

CaliSally

Just a side note:

Best wishes

Diane

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mare</b></i>

Yes I did have 3 vessels embolized. Have you ever had your feet swell as well. I am hoping this is also because of all the stuff I just went thru. On Tobramycin IV, Prednisone, the diabetes. Oh Boy. Measured my feet tonit and going to see what they look like tomorrow and call my doc.

Thanks for the input.

52f cf/cfrd</end quote></div>

I didnt have any feet swelling after either of my embolizations but i did have finger pain **rolls eyes** for a while. I am not sure ( because i have never been on it) but Prednisone might be the cause of the swelling AND the high blood sugar. I do know it can wreak havoc on blood sugars.

Diane

Yes I did have 3 vessels embolized. Have you ever had your feet swell as well. I am hoping this is also because of all the stuff I just went thru. On Tobramycin IV, Prednisone, the diabetes. Oh Boy. Measured my feet tonit and going to see what they look like tomorrow and call my doc.

Thanks for the input.

I didnt have any feet swelling after either of my embolizations but i did have finger pain **rolls eyes** for a while. I am not sure ( because i have never been on it) but Prednisone might be the cause of the swelling AND the high blood sugar. I do know it can wreak havoc on blood sugars.

Diane

Thanks for the input.

Sreh

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CaliSally</b></i>

Just a side note:

Best wishes</end quote></div>

I had a b/s of nearly 300 and did exercise for 40-45 minutes and dropped my B/S just over 100 points.

Sreh

Just a side note:

I had a b/s of nearly 300 and did exercise for 40-45 minutes and dropped my B/S just over 100 points.

Sreh

Just a side note:

ej0820

I know the feeling...I'm kind of going through a little hick-up of my own blood sugar issues right now. As far as snacks go, I'd go with very low to no carb things that you can eat in large quantities, for example, a salad with all the fixins (if you're into all the fixins), hard boiled eggs (or just eggs in general), cheesey omelets with ham, tuna/chicken/egg salad (which ever you fancy), lunch meat...those things are all protein. They'll help as far as snacks go and shouldn't make your sugars go crazy...and if you haven't already, look in the pharmacy of your local grocery store or Wal*Mart. Sometimes they carry things like diabetic cough syrup and food near the pharmacy. Perhaps they'll have diabetic boost there instead of with the regular meal supplements.

ej0820

I know the feeling...I'm kind of going through a little hick-up of my own blood sugar issues right now. As far as snacks go, I'd go with very low to no carb things that you can eat in large quantities, for example, a salad with all the fixins (if you're into all the fixins), hard boiled eggs (or just eggs in general), cheesey omelets with ham, tuna/chicken/egg salad (which ever you fancy), lunch meat...those things are all protein. They'll help as far as snacks go and shouldn't make your sugars go crazy...and if you haven't already, look in the pharmacy of your local grocery store or Wal*Mart. Sometimes they carry things like diabetic cough syrup and food near the pharmacy. Perhaps they'll have diabetic boost there instead of with the regular meal supplements.

ej0820

Uli

If you get sicker, get fever and so on, your body will produce more cortison and so the blood sugar gets higher too.
Thats the problem I do have at the moment...
So if you had an infection, maybe thats why its still high.

Uli,44,Germany

Uli

If you get sicker, get fever and so on, your body will produce more cortison and so the blood sugar gets higher too.

Uli,44,Germany

Uli

Uli,44,Germany

mare

To Note: my blood sugars are finally better! My infection must be better. Staying high protein as much as a can for snacks. Starting retaining fluid and got put on Lasix. I was told that my "low protein" status that we CF'ers have can cause the fluid buildup. Being that I have had so many issues lately it all adds up. thanks for the input from all.