CFRD- what do you eat differently?

catalinaohara

Hi, i am 23 with CF, used to be on this board more but not lately. So, i am well-versed in all things CF but not CFRD. Recently my hemoglobin A1C was elevated to 6.6 and a random glucose test was 140. they want to run tests, like fasting glucose etc etc to determine whats really going on. i am also in the middle of a cleanout so this could be the reason for the weird sugars

THAT SAID. i want to prepare myself for if i do have to start managing CFRD or pre-CFRD. what do you guys have to do in terms of eating differently? i have always eaten WHATEVER i wanted. i never really have had the digestion problems so i truly eat anything. Also, how many of you use insulin, and is it all the time?

thanks

Caitlin

catalinaohara

Hi, i am 23 with CF, used to be on this board more but not lately. So, i am well-versed in all things CF but not CFRD. Recently my hemoglobin A1C was elevated to 6.6 and a random glucose test was 140. they want to run tests, like fasting glucose etc etc to determine whats really going on. i am also in the middle of a cleanout so this could be the reason for the weird sugars

THAT SAID. i want to prepare myself for if i do have to start managing CFRD or pre-CFRD. what do you guys have to do in terms of eating differently? i have always eaten WHATEVER i wanted. i never really have had the digestion problems so i truly eat anything. Also, how many of you use insulin, and is it all the time?

thanks

Caitlin

catalinaohara

thanks

Caitlin

coltsfan715

Hi there,

I have CFRD and was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have taken insulin since diagnosis, but that is due to the fact that my blood sugars were running close to 400 or so. It seems that your blood sugars are only slightly elevated at this point, so it should be something controllable with diet.

I pretty much still eat anything I want since I am on insulin. I have been told that so long as I can keep my blood sugar regulated I am okay to eat whatever. There are foods I try to steer clear of but for the most part I eat anything.

For me the foods that give me a hard time - even WITH insulin - are below:

Waffles/Pancakes WITH Syrup
Sodas
Brownies
Chocolate - mostly large amounts of chocolate a regular candy bar I am normally okay with
Orange Juice used to really give me a hard time before started insulin

In general foods that affect your blood sugar more are foods with high carb counts - pastas, fruit, junk food, sodas. Those will have larger impact on your blood sugar than high protein foods and meats.

Good luck with testing your sugars and such and I hope everything comes back normal.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi there,

I have CFRD and was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have taken insulin since diagnosis, but that is due to the fact that my blood sugars were running close to 400 or so. It seems that your blood sugars are only slightly elevated at this point, so it should be something controllable with diet.

I pretty much still eat anything I want since I am on insulin. I have been told that so long as I can keep my blood sugar regulated I am okay to eat whatever. There are foods I try to steer clear of but for the most part I eat anything.

Sodas
Brownies
Chocolate - mostly large amounts of chocolate a regular candy bar I am normally okay with

In general foods that affect your blood sugar more are foods with high carb counts - pastas, fruit, junk food, sodas. Those will have larger impact on your blood sugar than high protein foods and meats.

Good luck with testing your sugars and such and I hope everything comes back normal.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi there,

Sodas
Brownies

Take Care,
Lindsey

Giggles

I think it depends on your doctor. I been diagnosed with CFRD but it is mild but the doc still wants to treat really aggressively. I am on insulin and was told to eat whatever to keep the weight on and just cover it with the insulin.

Good luck!

Jennifer 35 yrs old with CF and CFRD

Giggles

I think it depends on your doctor. I been diagnosed with CFRD but it is mild but the doc still wants to treat really aggressively. I am on insulin and was told to eat whatever to keep the weight on and just cover it with the insulin.

Good luck!

Giggles

Good luck!

blondelawyer

My husband also has CFRD (for nearly 10 years). His doctors tell him to eat whatever he wants and take insulin to control the blood sugar. He does stay away from pop and doesn't eat many sweets (mostly because he doesn't like them though).

Good luck!

blondelawyer

My husband also has CFRD (for nearly 10 years). His doctors tell him to eat whatever he wants and take insulin to control the blood sugar. He does stay away from pop and doesn't eat many sweets (mostly because he doesn't like them though).

Good luck!

blondelawyer

Good luck!

catalinaohara

thanks for the responses! i love chocolate and eat it all the time, so I will be sad if I have to curb this, but alas. I do eat SO healthy though otherwise and have forever. It is disheartening to perhaps have to deal with this, but oh well! Thanks again.

also? do you give yourself insulin shots or do you have an insulin pump? how often a day must you take insulin? or do you only take it if your sugars reflect that you need to? i am ashamed about how little i know about diabetes and need to do more research, so thank you.

-caitlin

catalinaohara

thanks for the responses! i love chocolate and eat it all the time, so I will be sad if I have to curb this, but alas. I do eat SO healthy though otherwise and have forever. It is disheartening to perhaps have to deal with this, but oh well! Thanks again.

also? do you give yourself insulin shots or do you have an insulin pump? how often a day must you take insulin? or do you only take it if your sugars reflect that you need to? i am ashamed about how little i know about diabetes and need to do more research, so thank you.

-caitlin

catalinaohara

-caitlin

lightNlife

CFRD is a very different animal from traditional diabetes. You can eat whatever you want, just as long as you keep good track of it and learn how to adjust the insulin accordingly.

lightNlife

CFRD is a very different animal from traditional diabetes. You can eat whatever you want, just as long as you keep good track of it and learn how to adjust the insulin accordingly.

lightNlife

littletally

I was also just in a tune up and during those three weeks my blood sugar dropped bad twice. Like in the 60's. Of course then I drank juice and had a nutty bar but still I think I would rather have a little high than alotta low. Anyone else have the low problem?

Nikki
27/f/cf

littletally

I was also just in a tune up and during those three weeks my blood sugar dropped bad twice. Like in the 60's. Of course then I drank juice and had a nutty bar but still I think I would rather have a little high than alotta low. Anyone else have the low problem?

Nikki
27/f/cf