CFRD where do you stick yourself?

C

Cariann2005Rob

I have had cfrd for a long time now and its taking a tole on my body i swear! i have always givin my injections on my belly left and right side of belly button and below. Well i have always thought that i had a pooch just that was my only place i gathered fat at. well come to find out that my dr said that that was caused from the insulin.!!! go figure! something that is helping me is making me feel self conscious! So i started to give it to myself at the top of my leg. But it seems like i bruise so easy there.. i have a million bruises now. and I live in hawaii so it looks not to good in shorts! it looks like im a druggy! well i am but yah know the good druggy! i have also tried the back part of my arm but everytime i do it there it seems like i get welts probably from hitting a vein or something! ughhh! i hate insulin! so i am going on a cruise and was trying to eliminate some of my bruising... is there anyplaces that you like to give yourself insulin at?

JazzysMom

I was told to take my blood & give my insulin in a clockwise motion to avoid the same site each time.

I use my arms (not often because its awkward), thighs & belly. I prefer the thights, but they will get sore.

I am not sure if there are any other "good" places. I am on minimum amounts of insulin, but we have enough CFers here that you should get good feedback!

barbc888

I do mine in my butt mostly, and if I end up with a bruise or welt (which rarely happens), nobody can see it! I'm petite, but there's always extra room in my butt area to find a place to shoot!

Diane

I tend to use my abdomen all the time for the past few years. I use different areas of the abdomen each time . Wherever i find some fat is where it goes. I never liked using the legs because for some reason it feels so much more sensitive and i always need to take a unit or two extra when i use the legs. From what i remember the legs are the area where insulin isnt absorbed as well.
I used to be able to do it on my butt, but i am 42 years old now and cant seem to make the stretch like i used to ( since you need both hands). Do you have a friend or relative who can maybe give you your shots in your arm?

ariesapie

I started sticking in my stomach and I got that pooch too so I stopped doing there and started giving it in my butt cheeks. I went to the beach several times this year without being able to see any bruising. I also have to have Lantus and Apridra so I am injecting several times a day. It also helps if you are a little flexible... so you can get the good spots without having the needle at a weird angle

Hope that helps.. good luck

C

Cariann2005Rob

sweetness! thank you all for replying back to me! I guess i will give the butt a shot!! I also have to do lantus at night so i am sticking myself allot too! my hubby could give the shot to me but he works allot since he is in the marines.. But the night time shot he could definately help me out and hey free shot at lookin at my butt right!! hahah!! had to through that one in there! but anyways thanks again!

catboogie

i do my stomach, sides, and back for my humalog shots. for my night time lantus shot, i go somewhere on my legs -- either butt area or calves. i think it's best to inject where you have the most body fat.

good luck!

ej0820

I've always been a belly fan...but if I had too many bruises (in my opinion, that is) on my belly, I'd do it in the fatty parts on my lower back (right above your butt). It can be inconvenient to do injections there just because that's where your pants hit, but it's a place that absorbs insulin well. Good luck.