CFRD

sue35

Hi all,
So I was just put on IVs yesterday and had my first dose of Ceftaz (is that right?) and Tobra. They drew blood to check my tobra levels. The nurse said that my glucose level was 182 which is high. I get my blood drawn every year (i got it in June) and they have never said anything about a high glucose level. Does this mean that I probably have diabetes now? I don't have any other symptoms and in fact have just gained weight.

I am TERRIFIED of needles and just can't handle this. I know that there are a lot of other tests to take but is this a good indicator about diabetes?

sue35

Hi all,
So I was just put on IVs yesterday and had my first dose of Ceftaz (is that right?) and Tobra. They drew blood to check my tobra levels. The nurse said that my glucose level was 182 which is high. I get my blood drawn every year (i got it in June) and they have never said anything about a high glucose level. Does this mean that I probably have diabetes now? I don't have any other symptoms and in fact have just gained weight.

I am TERRIFIED of needles and just can't handle this. I know that there are a lot of other tests to take but is this a good indicator about diabetes?

sue35

Hi all,

sue35

Also to add....my heart keeps on skipping a beat so of course i am freaking out about that. Is that because of the glucose levels, the medicine, or just the IV's?

My doctor never calls me back so i can't ask him

sue35

Also to add....my heart keeps on skipping a beat so of course i am freaking out about that. Is that because of the glucose levels, the medicine, or just the IV's?

sue35

Allisa35

Sue, I certainly feel for you as I also am terrified of needles. I think that your level of 182 is high, but how long before your blood was drawn had you eaten? If you had just eaten an hour or so before your blood was drawn, it would be a little higher but I'm not sure if 182 is too high. Have they said anything about getting a glucose tolerance test done? I have heard that gaining weight can be a symptom of diabetes. I don't know what other tests that they can do other than they glucose tolerance test, but I'm not sure. I am certainly no expert on the subject.

Last year, my doctor had me do a finger stick with the blood glucose machine in his office (don't remember now what prompted him to want to do that). It came up with some awful number of 300 something. At the time, I didn't think much of it, but looking back now I really think that it was a bad reading or something was wrong with their machine. Anyway, he told me I was diabetic and needed to be put on insulin. I was not a happy camper!! I told him, I really didn't know how I was going to do it because there would be no way I could give myself a shot. Granted, I am married and my husband could do it for me, but I totally panicked. I actually started crying there at the doctors office; not because of the dx of diabetes, but because of the fact that I was going to have to have shots. I ended up waiting before I actually got the insulin because I wasn't convinced that the reading of 300 was correct. And I was pretty much right. I monitored my levels at home with a blood glucose machine. Most of my levels were in the normal range. I did have some that were a little high and I also had some that were low. If anything, I think I am hypoglycemic because I have episodes of low blood sugar a lot. I have never had a reading over 200. I think the highest one I ever had was 168, although it seems like I may have had one higher than that. My lowest has been a 39. So at this point, I'm not on insulin, and the doctor put me down as pre-diabetic instead of diabetic.

Have you mentioned the heart skipping to your doctor? I had that happen to me many years ago and I had to wear a monitor for a day or two. They determined I have a premature heartbeat. They said it isn't really anything to worry about. I still have it. Even though they say it isn't anything to worry about, when it happens, it still scares me. It also could be a symptom of a medication you may be taking. Just a thought.

I certainly hope you get things taken care of. I know it's not easy because I've been there. Hopfully, it's nothing you have to worry about. Maybe you could just monitor your levels at home for awhile and see how that goes. I can handle pricking my finger with the home monitor, but I can't stand needles and shots. If you think you can handle that, maybe you should discuss it with your doctor. Good luck!!

Allisa35

Sue, I certainly feel for you as I also am terrified of needles. I think that your level of 182 is high, but how long before your blood was drawn had you eaten? If you had just eaten an hour or so before your blood was drawn, it would be a little higher but I'm not sure if 182 is too high. Have they said anything about getting a glucose tolerance test done? I have heard that gaining weight can be a symptom of diabetes. I don't know what other tests that they can do other than they glucose tolerance test, but I'm not sure. I am certainly no expert on the subject.

Last year, my doctor had me do a finger stick with the blood glucose machine in his office (don't remember now what prompted him to want to do that). It came up with some awful number of 300 something. At the time, I didn't think much of it, but looking back now I really think that it was a bad reading or something was wrong with their machine. Anyway, he told me I was diabetic and needed to be put on insulin. I was not a happy camper!! I told him, I really didn't know how I was going to do it because there would be no way I could give myself a shot. Granted, I am married and my husband could do it for me, but I totally panicked. I actually started crying there at the doctors office; not because of the dx of diabetes, but because of the fact that I was going to have to have shots. I ended up waiting before I actually got the insulin because I wasn't convinced that the reading of 300 was correct. And I was pretty much right. I monitored my levels at home with a blood glucose machine. Most of my levels were in the normal range. I did have some that were a little high and I also had some that were low. If anything, I think I am hypoglycemic because I have episodes of low blood sugar a lot. I have never had a reading over 200. I think the highest one I ever had was 168, although it seems like I may have had one higher than that. My lowest has been a 39. So at this point, I'm not on insulin, and the doctor put me down as pre-diabetic instead of diabetic.

Have you mentioned the heart skipping to your doctor? I had that happen to me many years ago and I had to wear a monitor for a day or two. They determined I have a premature heartbeat. They said it isn't really anything to worry about. I still have it. Even though they say it isn't anything to worry about, when it happens, it still scares me. It also could be a symptom of a medication you may be taking. Just a thought.

I certainly hope you get things taken care of. I know it's not easy because I've been there. Hopfully, it's nothing you have to worry about. Maybe you could just monitor your levels at home for awhile and see how that goes. I can handle pricking my finger with the home monitor, but I can't stand needles and shots. If you think you can handle that, maybe you should discuss it with your doctor. Good luck!!

Allisa35

Joanne

Sue,

I have diabetic for 17 years. Doing fine, it is very well managed.

Are you on prednisone?

While 182 seems high, you need further testing, for glucose tolerance. Don't let a nurse alarm you with her ideas of that is very high. Talk to an endocronolgist who is expert in this field.

More than likely, if you do have diabetes, your numbers would be higher. Most times people start on oral meds to control. Also an endo that knows CF, knows not to treat diabetes with diet. We need the fat and sugars so we can keep a good weight. I once had a primary care doctor who scared me to death when my blood glusose came up at about 160. He said I needed to go on a diet ( I weighed about 100). He said " you are a thin woman, but it won't hurt to do a diet). I called my CF doctor and was crying and he saw me immediately. He was wonderful and explalined that first of all, I was on prednisone, it is going to be higher. That there was no way I would have to watch what I ate. I think about 2 years later I went on oral meds, and was on that for at least 8 years before insulin.

Just a little tidbit, the finger prick to check glucose is the part that hurts, the needle is pretty much painless, if you choose the right spots ( I do mine in my thigh and rarely feel it).

email me if you have any questions.

Joanne

Joanne

Sue,

Are you on prednisone?

While 182 seems high, you need further testing, for glucose tolerance. Don't let a nurse alarm you with her ideas of that is very high. Talk to an endocronolgist who is expert in this field.

More than likely, if you do have diabetes, your numbers would be higher. Most times people start on oral meds to control. Also an endo that knows CF, knows not to treat diabetes with diet. We need the fat and sugars so we can keep a good weight. I once had a primary care doctor who scared me to death when my blood glusose came up at about 160. He said I needed to go on a diet ( I weighed about 100). He said " you are a thin woman, but it won't hurt to do a diet). I called my CF doctor and was crying and he saw me immediately. He was wonderful and explalined that first of all, I was on prednisone, it is going to be higher. That there was no way I would have to watch what I ate. I think about 2 years later I went on oral meds, and was on that for at least 8 years before insulin.

Just a little tidbit, the finger prick to check glucose is the part that hurts, the needle is pretty much painless, if you choose the right spots ( I do mine in my thigh and rarely feel it).

Joanne

Joanne

Sue,

Are you on prednisone?

Joanne

NoExcuses

There is an easy way to solve this.

Get a glucose tolernace test.

You will know for sure after the test if you have it. No need to guess, wonder, or ponder what-if's. Just get the test done.

NoExcuses

You will know for sure after the test if you have it. No need to guess, wonder, or ponder what-if's. Just get the test done.

NoExcuses

JazzysMom

I have recent experience with this. Any glucose tolerance tests I have had have come back "normal" yet when I have "flareups" with my CF I have been having high sugars. I had gestational diabetes which I controlled with insulin, Prednisone induced diabetes which I controlled with insulin. Both times this year during the first few days of meds my sugars are high. THis time I got insulin when it was 297 one time, but then I crashed down to 30 so they decided to change when/if I get insulin since my body does produce it just slower evidentally. I wouldnt freak out yet, but each time I have sugar problems I worry that it wont go away!

JazzysMom

I have recent experience with this. Any glucose tolerance tests I have had have come back "normal" yet when I have "flareups" with my CF I have been having high sugars. I had gestational diabetes which I controlled with insulin, Prednisone induced diabetes which I controlled with insulin. Both times this year during the first few days of meds my sugars are high. THis time I got insulin when it was 297 one time, but then I crashed down to 30 so they decided to change when/if I get insulin since my body does produce it just slower evidentally. I wouldnt freak out yet, but each time I have sugar problems I worry that it wont go away!

JazzysMom

TheInkDoll

Sue

My doctors always do the diabetes thing with me...

i have found that my glucose is always high when i'm sick enough for iv's. i, too, am always on tobra and ceftaz, or fortaz. My heart does that skipped beat thing every single time.

Good news is, it happens every time i'm sick, and... that's it. i don't have diabetes and my heart is normal.

i am willing to bet that you are fine. Don't stress about it.

i have totally been where you are at, and i came out of it with no trouble, no worries.

Just have faith. - f

P.S. When i read your post, it was like one of those things where you say, "OMG! i know EXACTLY what she's talking about." It will all be ok, you'll see.

TheInkDoll

Sue

My doctors always do the diabetes thing with me...

i have found that my glucose is always high when i'm sick enough for iv's. i, too, am always on tobra and ceftaz, or fortaz. My heart does that skipped beat thing every single time.

Good news is, it happens every time i'm sick, and... that's it. i don't have diabetes and my heart is normal.

i am willing to bet that you are fine. Don't stress about it.

i have totally been where you are at, and i came out of it with no trouble, no worries.

Just have faith. - f

P.S. When i read your post, it was like one of those things where you say, "OMG! i know EXACTLY what she's talking about." It will all be ok, you'll see.