CFRD

Chaggie

The 7 number comes from the HB A1C blood test which is measured differently than the blood glucose tests done with monitors like the One Touch Ultra.

Chaggie

The 7 number comes from the HB A1C blood test which is measured differently than the blood glucose tests done with monitors like the One Touch Ultra.

Chaggie

sue35

My level is at 200 and my doc doesn't seem concerned at all. He said that I should get a glucose test but it isn't something to hurry to get. Just whenever I fit it in. Hmmmm....I felt so good that he wasn't concerned (said that the prednoisone that I am always on does that to sugars) but now I am not too sure

sue35

My level is at 200 and my doc doesn't seem concerned at all. He said that I should get a glucose test but it isn't something to hurry to get. Just whenever I fit it in. Hmmmm....I felt so good that he wasn't concerned (said that the prednoisone that I am always on does that to sugars) but now I am not too sure

sue35

coltsfan715

Hemoglobin A1C - the reading for this for the average person WITHOUT diabetes is around 6.2. The reading of 6.0-6.5 typically means that your blood sugar has been averaging between 115-135(140) for the past 3 to 4 months.

Hemoglobin A1C is a reading that gives an estimate of what your blood glucose has been the past 3 to 4 months. It does not give the reading in typical blood glucose form. I honestly don't know how they convert an average of 130 to 6.3 or 6.4 but they do. The only reason I know what the number roughly stands for is because my docs office has a chart with the numbers and the equivalent Hemoglobin A1C listed.

I have been told by my doctor that a Hemoglobin A1C reading over 7.0 indicates that a person IS diabetic. I am not sure how accurate that is, but just know my doc has told me that. I personally was diagnosed with diabetes when my Hemoglobin A1C was at 10.4 - and my sugars were running near 400.

Blood sugars - Fasting blood sugar should be below or near 100 for the average person WITHOUT diabetes. A person is considered prediabetic if their fasting sugar is over 120 (I think is the number).

2 HOURS AFTER MEALS - you are considered pre diabetic if your sugars are elevated BUT NOT ABOVE 200. Meaning between roughly 130-200. You are considered diabetic if your sugars are OVER 200 2 hours or more after meals.

Sue as for your doc not being concerned - I would be concerned if you are having symptoms of diabetes and losing weight or anything like that. I know that alot of people have blood sugar issues when they are on prednisone though and they seem to be fine once they are taken off prednisone. If you doc thinks THAT is the problem and that you are not simply just diabetic that is probably why he is not wanting to test you at the current moment.

I never had a specific Glucose Tolerance Test - at least I don't think so. I just got pretty sick and had EVERY symptom of diabetes and combine that with my blood sugar and hemoglobin reading they diagnosed me and I started insulin.

Happy Holidays,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hemoglobin A1C - the reading for this for the average person WITHOUT diabetes is around 6.2. The reading of 6.0-6.5 typically means that your blood sugar has been averaging between 115-135(140) for the past 3 to 4 months.

Hemoglobin A1C is a reading that gives an estimate of what your blood glucose has been the past 3 to 4 months. It does not give the reading in typical blood glucose form. I honestly don't know how they convert an average of 130 to 6.3 or 6.4 but they do. The only reason I know what the number roughly stands for is because my docs office has a chart with the numbers and the equivalent Hemoglobin A1C listed.

I have been told by my doctor that a Hemoglobin A1C reading over 7.0 indicates that a person IS diabetic. I am not sure how accurate that is, but just know my doc has told me that. I personally was diagnosed with diabetes when my Hemoglobin A1C was at 10.4 - and my sugars were running near 400.

Blood sugars - Fasting blood sugar should be below or near 100 for the average person WITHOUT diabetes. A person is considered prediabetic if their fasting sugar is over 120 (I think is the number).

2 HOURS AFTER MEALS - you are considered pre diabetic if your sugars are elevated BUT NOT ABOVE 200. Meaning between roughly 130-200. You are considered diabetic if your sugars are OVER 200 2 hours or more after meals.

Sue as for your doc not being concerned - I would be concerned if you are having symptoms of diabetes and losing weight or anything like that. I know that alot of people have blood sugar issues when they are on prednisone though and they seem to be fine once they are taken off prednisone. If you doc thinks THAT is the problem and that you are not simply just diabetic that is probably why he is not wanting to test you at the current moment.

I never had a specific Glucose Tolerance Test - at least I don't think so. I just got pretty sick and had EVERY symptom of diabetes and combine that with my blood sugar and hemoglobin reading they diagnosed me and I started insulin.

Happy Holidays,
Lindsey