CFRD

barbc888

Hi David,

Slightly high glucose (mid 200's) is pretty high. Normal range should be about 90-120. That being said, the long term of effects of poor glucose level control can be devastating: blindness, poor circulation, and in the worst cases, gangrene in your feet. You're young so you'll not feel the effects now, but as with everything else, it will catch up with you. Please take care of your CFRD; your body needs insulin if your pancrease is not making enough of it.

barbc888

Hi David,

Slightly high glucose (mid 200's) is pretty high. Normal range should be about 90-120. That being said, the long term of effects of poor glucose level control can be devastating: blindness, poor circulation, and in the worst cases, gangrene in your feet. You're young so you'll not feel the effects now, but as with everything else, it will catch up with you. Please take care of your CFRD; your body needs insulin if your pancrease is not making enough of it.

barbc888

Hi David,

barbc888

Hi David,

barbc888

Hi David,

lightNlife

Good info, Barb. As an additional note, I wanted to point out that people with CFRD are less likely to be symptomatic when their sugars are high (hyperglycemia.) Most of the time it has only been by chance that we noticed how high my sugars were. When I'm on prednisone they can rocket all the way up over 400 in no time.

I think my worst was when I was in the hospital, on prednisone and having TPN as well. I had just polished off an ice cream sandwich in the cafeteria with my parents. I got a little bit of a headache, similar to sinus headache--that pressure on my cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. I mentioned it to the nurse and she tested my sugars and I was over 600! She tested twice to be sure, because she couldn't believe I was walking and talking with such a high number. To this day I have no idea why I hadn't gone into ketoacidosis and diabetic coma.

Like Barb said about the long term problems that arise from continually high blood sugar--prolonged hyperglycemia can be devastating if not fatal. That's why the CFF recommends yearly glucose testing for patients 14 years old and up.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/06/diabetes-screening.html">Diabetes Screening</a>

lightNlife

Good info, Barb. As an additional note, I wanted to point out that people with CFRD are less likely to be symptomatic when their sugars are high (hyperglycemia.) Most of the time it has only been by chance that we noticed how high my sugars were. When I'm on prednisone they can rocket all the way up over 400 in no time.

I think my worst was when I was in the hospital, on prednisone and having TPN as well. I had just polished off an ice cream sandwich in the cafeteria with my parents. I got a little bit of a headache, similar to sinus headache--that pressure on my cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. I mentioned it to the nurse and she tested my sugars and I was over 600! She tested twice to be sure, because she couldn't believe I was walking and talking with such a high number. To this day I have no idea why I hadn't gone into ketoacidosis and diabetic coma.

Like Barb said about the long term problems that arise from continually high blood sugar--prolonged hyperglycemia can be devastating if not fatal. That's why the CFF recommends yearly glucose testing for patients 14 years old and up.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/06/diabetes-screening.html">Diabetes Screening</a>

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife