Chest bones popping

mamerth

I have been having some popping occur near my sternum and clavicle. One day I had some chest tightness (almost left like an asthma attack) and laid on the floor to relax. I felt a popping occur near my sternum and the chest tightness was relieved. Almost painful.

Now I get it more often than I would like. It will pop when I move my chest to breath deeply or change positions in a chair. I can feel tension relief in my right ribcage and right shoulder after a good pop. Not sure if I am having issues with a rib (near my sternum) or maybe it is really a back issue.

Anyone else experience this before???

mamerth

I have been having some popping occur near my sternum and clavicle. One day I had some chest tightness (almost left like an asthma attack) and laid on the floor to relax. I felt a popping occur near my sternum and the chest tightness was relieved. Almost painful.

Now I get it more often than I would like. It will pop when I move my chest to breath deeply or change positions in a chair. I can feel tension relief in my right ribcage and right shoulder after a good pop. Not sure if I am having issues with a rib (near my sternum) or maybe it is really a back issue.

Anyone else experience this before???

mamerth

<br />
<br />Now I get it more often than I would like. It will pop when I move my chest to breath deeply or change positions in a chair. I can feel tension relief in my right ribcage and right shoulder after a good pop. Not sure if I am having issues with a rib (near my sternum) or maybe it is really a back issue.
<br />
<br />Anyone else experience this before???

I've had similar "pops" occur during really intense coughing fits! Usually it happens on my right side...I think it's my "floating ribs" (the ones that don't attach to the sternum) rubbing against or hitting other ribs.

I think it's an issue for many of us, especially as our physiology changes with the progression of CF. As long as you aren't having severe pain or know you've broken something, it's something we have to live with.

I've had similar "pops" occur during really intense coughing fits! Usually it happens on my right side...I think it's my "floating ribs" (the ones that don't attach to the sternum) rubbing against or hitting other ribs.

I think it's an issue for many of us, especially as our physiology changes with the progression of CF. As long as you aren't having severe pain or know you've broken something, it's something we have to live with.

<br />
<br />I think it's an issue for many of us, especially as our physiology changes with the progression of CF. As long as you aren't having severe pain or know you've broken something, it's something we have to live with.

C

Cherylwithone

My DD has had that. It will pop out and then when she moves just right will go back in. When she saw Ortho they said she they she has floppy joints and they are loose. We never did find out what the cause was and just chaulk it up to CF.

C

Cherylwithone

My DD has had that. It will pop out and then when she moves just right will go back in. When she saw Ortho they said she they she has floppy joints and they are loose. We never did find out what the cause was and just chaulk it up to CF.

C

Cherylwithone

peter

No one said they have pain with it. You may have a costo-chondral 1st (maybe second) rib subluxing and spontaneously reducing at the sternal junction. It could also be your S/C (sternal clavicular joint popping because most people have a cartilaginous disc in that joint. Eventually it "wears out" as it gets "pulverized" over years. Not serious unless painful then it isn't really serious but a painful attention grabber. Not sure how S/C would feel like asthma but maybe 1st rib subluxation (usually painful with muscle guarding). Anyway good that it keeps clearing up. Very likely strong correlation to coughing.
Peter

peter

No one said they have pain with it. You may have a costo-chondral 1st (maybe second) rib subluxing and spontaneously reducing at the sternal junction. It could also be your S/C (sternal clavicular joint popping because most people have a cartilaginous disc in that joint. Eventually it "wears out" as it gets "pulverized" over years. Not serious unless painful then it isn't really serious but a painful attention grabber. Not sure how S/C would feel like asthma but maybe 1st rib subluxation (usually painful with muscle guarding). Anyway good that it keeps clearing up. Very likely strong correlation to coughing.
Peter

peter

<br />Peter

ehtansky21

I have issues with my ribs popping out frequently. If that is what is happening, my chiropractor gave me some good exercises to do to strengthen the muscles that hold them in. One of them is push ups.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

I have issues with my ribs popping out frequently. If that is what is happening, my chiropractor gave me some good exercises to do to strengthen the muscles that hold them in. One of them is push ups.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

mamerth

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I do have major joint issues all over my body... maybe my ribs felt left out and decided to join the fun. It kept me awake last night-- mild to moderate pain. I am going to ask CF doctor about it next week. I have to hang in for another month and 1/2 until we get health insurance (sure hope I it get it).

Wish I could ignore the sternum pressure changes when it pops.

mamerth

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I do have major joint issues all over my body... maybe my ribs felt left out and decided to join the fun. It kept me awake last night-- mild to moderate pain. I am going to ask CF doctor about it next week. I have to hang in for another month and 1/2 until we get health insurance (sure hope I it get it).

Wish I could ignore the sternum pressure changes when it pops.

mamerth

<br />
<br />Wish I could ignore the sternum pressure changes when it pops.

LouLou

I'd visit the chiropractor to make sure everything is back aligned. You could have a rib popped out of place from coughing. THat would likely be constant pain though. I had the costo condritis once. Lasted 6 weeks. So painful.

Then once aligned you need to strengthen up. Do you know the "pulling weeds" exercise. That's a good one. Chiro can show you some more.

LouLou

I'd visit the chiropractor to make sure everything is back aligned. You could have a rib popped out of place from coughing. THat would likely be constant pain though. I had the costo condritis once. Lasted 6 weeks. So painful.

Then once aligned you need to strengthen up. Do you know the "pulling weeds" exercise. That's a good one. Chiro can show you some more.