chest tubes and pain

T

theDUDE

I was wondering if there is anything the docs or nurses can do in regards to the chest tubes coming out after a tx, i am on the list and waiting and was just curious because i heard it hurts like the hell .

T

theDUDE

I was wondering if there is anything the docs or nurses can do in regards to the chest tubes coming out after a tx, i am on the list and waiting and was just curious because i heard it hurts like the hell .

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

Marjolein

I have to say that with me it wasn't that bad...
I had 4 chest tubes coming out of surgery, the two 'air' drains came out 3 days post tx I think. I had an epiral just between my shoulder blades for pain management and that worked wonders, I didn't have any pain with it in. So taking out those first two tubes was easy.

The epidural was taken out before the other chest tubes could be taken out (they keps draining) and I did feel it when they were taken out. But it wasn't really really bad, like you hear sometimes. I wouldn't say it didn't hurt, it did, but most of it was really at those 2 seconds that it took to take it out. The pain was gone quite quickly.

Anyway, I would for sure ask them to put an epidural in, if there is time, just before you go in for your tx. They asked me if I wanted it, when I arrived at the hospital and everything seemed to be a go. I was very hesitant when they asked me if I wanted one. But they told me it would really benefit me post tx. And I can tell you, it did! And putting it in wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It always looks to be so painful when you see it on tv.

Marjolein

I had 4 chest tubes coming out of surgery, the two 'air' drains came out 3 days post tx I think. I had an epiral just between my shoulder blades for pain management and that worked wonders, I didn't have any pain with it in. So taking out those first two tubes was easy.

The epidural was taken out before the other chest tubes could be taken out (they keps draining) and I did feel it when they were taken out. But it wasn't really really bad, like you hear sometimes. I wouldn't say it didn't hurt, it did, but most of it was really at those 2 seconds that it took to take it out. The pain was gone quite quickly.

Anyway, I would for sure ask them to put an epidural in, if there is time, just before you go in for your tx. They asked me if I wanted it, when I arrived at the hospital and everything seemed to be a go. I was very hesitant when they asked me if I wanted one. But they told me it would really benefit me post tx. And I can tell you, it did! And putting it in wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It always looks to be so painful when you see it on tv.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

<br />I had 4 chest tubes coming out of surgery, the two 'air' drains came out 3 days post tx I think. I had an epiral just between my shoulder blades for pain management and that worked wonders, I didn't have any pain with it in. So taking out those first two tubes was easy.
<br />
<br />The epidural was taken out before the other chest tubes could be taken out (they keps draining) and I did feel it when they were taken out. But it wasn't really really bad, like you hear sometimes. I wouldn't say it didn't hurt, it did, but most of it was really at those 2 seconds that it took to take it out. The pain was gone quite quickly.
<br />
<br />Anyway, I would for sure ask them to put an epidural in, if there is time, just before you go in for your tx. They asked me if I wanted it, when I arrived at the hospital and everything seemed to be a go. I was very hesitant when they asked me if I wanted one. But they told me it would really benefit me post tx. And I can tell you, it did! And putting it in wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It always looks to be so painful when you see it on tv.

Transplantmommy

When the chest tubes were in, they were very uncomfortable. I would have to have sponge baths from the nurses and when they would roll me onto them, that's when they irritated me the most. I would push the pain button about a minute before they started giving me the bath.

As for the pain of them coming out....it really wasn't bad. I think that they gave me some numbing stuff before they pulled them. I had 5 chest tubes in my chest after my transplant.

Transplantmommy

When the chest tubes were in, they were very uncomfortable. I would have to have sponge baths from the nurses and when they would roll me onto them, that's when they irritated me the most. I would push the pain button about a minute before they started giving me the bath.

As for the pain of them coming out....it really wasn't bad. I think that they gave me some numbing stuff before they pulled them. I had 5 chest tubes in my chest after my transplant.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />As for the pain of them coming out....it really wasn't bad. I think that they gave me some numbing stuff before they pulled them. I had 5 chest tubes in my chest after my transplant.

brogerson

I had my Transplant on Dec 14 and I had 5 chest tubes in. While they were in there wasnt a lot of pain from the tubes, I did feel pain when they came out did not like sutures tightening against my skin. Getting tubes out was a big relief, I hated being attached to all the tubes and cables.

brogerson

I had my Transplant on Dec 14 and I had 5 chest tubes in. While they were in there wasnt a lot of pain from the tubes, I did feel pain when they came out did not like sutures tightening against my skin. Getting tubes out was a big relief, I hated being attached to all the tubes and cables.

brogerson

brogerson

brogerson