Chicken Pox

just1more

Ok, I'm looking to see if anyone else has heard or experienced this.

We have a 10mth old with Chicken Pox. When we called the CF center about any risk to M the response was not what I expected.

The founder of the CF center in Atlanta stated that while they don't know why normally chicken pox does not cause CF'rs many issues.

Just curious if this fits with what others know as I have a lot of respect for the Dr, and believe he is speaking from ~40yrs of experience rather than any textbook.

just1more

We have a 10mth old with Chicken Pox. When we called the CF center about any risk to M the response was not what I expected.

The founder of the CF center in Atlanta stated that while they don't know why normally chicken pox does not cause CF'rs many issues.

Just curious if this fits with what others know as I have a lot of respect for the Dr, and believe he is speaking from ~40yrs of experience rather than any textbook.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />We have a 10mth old with Chicken Pox. When we called the CF center about any risk to M the response was not what I expected.
<br />
<br />The founder of the CF center in Atlanta stated that while they don't know why normally chicken pox does not cause CF'rs many issues.
<br />
<br />Just curious if this fits with what others know as I have a lot of respect for the Dr, and believe he is speaking from ~40yrs of experience rather than any textbook.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any direct experience other than DS' doctor was adamant that he get vaccinated for it and prior to his being able to get the vaccine when he was a year old, he was exposed to it at daycare and his doctor had him put on an antiviral.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any direct experience other than DS' doctor was adamant that he get vaccinated for it and prior to his being able to get the vaccine when he was a year old, he was exposed to it at daycare and his doctor had him put on an antiviral.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

JazzysMom

The only experience I have was as an adult. I didnt get vaccinated as a kid & never had them.

Then when I was pregnant I was exposed to them at work. Everyone went into panic mode to get me vaccinated within 96 hours or something.

I dont know if that is because pox/shingles as an adult is worse or because I was pregnant or because I had CF.

I believe Paula's son, Austin had chicken pox not long ago & he came through it ok.

JazzysMom

The only experience I have was as an adult. I didnt get vaccinated as a kid & never had them.

Then when I was pregnant I was exposed to them at work. Everyone went into panic mode to get me vaccinated within 96 hours or something.

I dont know if that is because pox/shingles as an adult is worse or because I was pregnant or because I had CF.

I believe Paula's son, Austin had chicken pox not long ago & he came through it ok.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Then when I was pregnant I was exposed to them at work. Everyone went into panic mode to get me vaccinated within 96 hours or something.
<br />
<br />I dont know if that is because pox/shingles as an adult is worse or because I was pregnant or because I had CF.
<br />
<br />I believe Paula's son, Austin had chicken pox not long ago & he came through it ok.

NYCLawGirl

First of all, Caplan knows his stuff, so I would trust him.

I had chicken pox long before I started seeing Dr. C, but it never caused me any CF issues. I actually had it twice though -- once it was totally non-severe and the second time I had it ALL over, but neither time caused lung issues. I just remember getting a couple days off from CPT b/c I had pox all over me!

I also got shingles later, so I guess I've had that virus several times. Anyway, been there, done that, and still standing. No hospitalizations or IVs needed for any of it.

NYCLawGirl

I had chicken pox long before I started seeing Dr. C, but it never caused me any CF issues. I actually had it twice though -- once it was totally non-severe and the second time I had it ALL over, but neither time caused lung issues. I just remember getting a couple days off from CPT b/c I had pox all over me!

I also got shingles later, so I guess I've had that virus several times. Anyway, been there, done that, and still standing. No hospitalizations or IVs needed for any of it.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />I had chicken pox long before I started seeing Dr. C, but it never caused me any CF issues. I actually had it twice though -- once it was totally non-severe and the second time I had it ALL over, but neither time caused lung issues. I just remember getting a couple days off from CPT b/c I had pox all over me!
<br />
<br />I also got shingles later, so I guess I've had that virus several times. Anyway, been there, done that, and still standing. No hospitalizations or IVs needed for any of it.