chickens and cf

mamaScarlett

any child can catch several kinds of bacteria from the baby chicks, salmonella being #1. (my sister had them last year)
you have to make the kids wash their hands non stop, whether they have cf or not, but especially if they do i'd guess.

mamaScarlett

any child can catch several kinds of bacteria from the baby chicks, salmonella being #1. (my sister had them last year)
you have to make the kids wash their hands non stop, whether they have cf or not, but especially if they do i'd guess.

mamaScarlett

<br />you have to make the kids wash their hands non stop, whether they have cf or not, but especially if they do i'd guess.

petnurse

Yes...I think...
Bird feces can contain fungi called histoplamosis and cryptococcus. Histo is aerosolized when moved and very dangerous to a CF patient (if it gets in their lungs). That being said, our CF doc did not tell us to get rid of our birds, just not to let Philip near them and certainly not clean the cage! I think you can probably search the fungus and see what it says. Good luck !

petnurse

Yes...I think...
Bird feces can contain fungi called histoplamosis and cryptococcus. Histo is aerosolized when moved and very dangerous to a CF patient (if it gets in their lungs). That being said, our CF doc did not tell us to get rid of our birds, just not to let Philip near them and certainly not clean the cage! I think you can probably search the fungus and see what it says. Good luck !

petnurse

Yes...I think...
<br />Bird feces can contain fungi called histoplamosis and cryptococcus. Histo is aerosolized when moved and very dangerous to a CF patient (if it gets in their lungs). That being said, our CF doc did not tell us to get rid of our birds, just not to let Philip near them and certainly not clean the cage! I think you can probably search the fungus and see what it says. Good luck !

theLostMiler

Does anyone know if my neighbors have them if thats a problem? They have a bunch of chickens, roosters, geese and ducks. All across the fence but i have been wondering if stuff will csrry in the wind or something. In generak the blows from our yard to theirs but on the occasion it is not do you think thats bad?

theLostMiler

Does anyone know if my neighbors have them if thats a problem? They have a bunch of chickens, roosters, geese and ducks. All across the fence but i have been wondering if stuff will csrry in the wind or something. In generak the blows from our yard to theirs but on the occasion it is not do you think thats bad?

theLostMiler

K

Keepercjr

Well I have 4 chickens and I have CF. They free range in my backyard so there isn't a ton of cleanup but we do have to clean out the shelf on the coop once in a while. My DH does that. They sometimes poop on the patio and I do sweep that off even though I probably shouldn't.

I would just suggest lots of hand washing after he touches the chicks. I have to say I LOVE my chickens. If I knew how much fun they were I would have gotten them a long time ago. I have had them for almost 2 years now.

K

Keepercjr

Well I have 4 chickens and I have CF. They free range in my backyard so there isn't a ton of cleanup but we do have to clean out the shelf on the coop once in a while. My DH does that. They sometimes poop on the patio and I do sweep that off even though I probably shouldn't.

I would just suggest lots of hand washing after he touches the chicks. I have to say I LOVE my chickens. If I knew how much fun they were I would have gotten them a long time ago. I have had them for almost 2 years now.

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />I would just suggest lots of hand washing after he touches the chicks. I have to say I LOVE my chickens. If I knew how much fun they were I would have gotten them a long time ago. I have had them for almost 2 years now.

Mom2Max

We have lots of chickens too (44 to be exact - although most of them are too young to lay). The fresh eggs are great and it's been a wonderful experience for the children. We just use common sense when it comes to Max = well, really, all of us. We wash our hands after holding them and Max would never be involved with cleaning out their coop.

Mom2Max

We have lots of chickens too (44 to be exact - although most of them are too young to lay). The fresh eggs are great and it's been a wonderful experience for the children. We just use common sense when it comes to Max = well, really, all of us. We wash our hands after holding them and Max would never be involved with cleaning out their coop.

Mom2Max