Child Care

izemmom

Our "timing" was a lot like Sarah's. I, too, am a teacher and Emily was born in November.

We were never told to keep her out of daycare, but to be as proactive as possible. I think that our CF team and NICU team realize that no work/no daycare is not a viable situation for many families.

I took a bit longer leave than I had planned, then my principal graciously suggested that I come back after the holidays, but only 3 days a week. This kept me on payroll, and my classroon aide followed my lesson plans the days I was not there. The staff also worked together to juggle the schedule so my kids got their specials on the days I wasn't there.

On the days I wasn't home, someone cared for Emily in our home...either Dad, grandma or an adult cousin. Then, in just a few months it was summer and I was home with her.

By August, we were ready to start daycare. We knew and loved our center very well. Our older daughter had been there since she was 6 weeks old. The center staff learned everything they could about cf, the learned how to do CPT, they learned about enzymes. They were ready for her.

The infant room teachers did a great job of keeping her toys separate from the other babies' toys. She had a few colds that first winter, but fared pretty well. And, she LOVED daycare. Her developmental skills really went into overdrive once she started.

To this day, our center staff remains AWESOME. They know way more about CF than the average person, they take such good care of her, and they do all that they can to make sure that she gets what she needs. Many of them walked in Great Strides with us on Sunday. They had their own fundraisers. They are fantastic.

Being in daycare has not, to this point, been a detriment to Emily's health.

It's a tough decision. And, honestly, if I hadn't know these ladies before Em came along, I might not have been able to trust them the way I did at first. But, good care can be found, so, I'd encourage you to not rule it out if it's something you are interested in.

Good luck. Many of us have wrestled with this one.

izemmom

Our "timing" was a lot like Sarah's. I, too, am a teacher and Emily was born in November.

We were never told to keep her out of daycare, but to be as proactive as possible. I think that our CF team and NICU team realize that no work/no daycare is not a viable situation for many families.

I took a bit longer leave than I had planned, then my principal graciously suggested that I come back after the holidays, but only 3 days a week. This kept me on payroll, and my classroon aide followed my lesson plans the days I was not there. The staff also worked together to juggle the schedule so my kids got their specials on the days I wasn't there.

On the days I wasn't home, someone cared for Emily in our home...either Dad, grandma or an adult cousin. Then, in just a few months it was summer and I was home with her.

By August, we were ready to start daycare. We knew and loved our center very well. Our older daughter had been there since she was 6 weeks old. The center staff learned everything they could about cf, the learned how to do CPT, they learned about enzymes. They were ready for her.

The infant room teachers did a great job of keeping her toys separate from the other babies' toys. She had a few colds that first winter, but fared pretty well. And, she LOVED daycare. Her developmental skills really went into overdrive once she started.

To this day, our center staff remains AWESOME. They know way more about CF than the average person, they take such good care of her, and they do all that they can to make sure that she gets what she needs. Many of them walked in Great Strides with us on Sunday. They had their own fundraisers. They are fantastic.

It's a tough decision. And, honestly, if I hadn't know these ladies before Em came along, I might not have been able to trust them the way I did at first. But, good care can be found, so, I'd encourage you to not rule it out if it's something you are interested in.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />We were never told to keep her out of daycare, but to be as proactive as possible. I think that our CF team and NICU team realize that no work/no daycare is not a viable situation for many families.
<br />
<br />I took a bit longer leave than I had planned, then my principal graciously suggested that I come back after the holidays, but only 3 days a week. This kept me on payroll, and my classroon aide followed my lesson plans the days I was not there. The staff also worked together to juggle the schedule so my kids got their specials on the days I wasn't there.
<br />
<br />On the days I wasn't home, someone cared for Emily in our home...either Dad, grandma or an adult cousin. Then, in just a few months it was summer and I was home with her.
<br />
<br />By August, we were ready to start daycare. We knew and loved our center very well. Our older daughter had been there since she was 6 weeks old. The center staff learned everything they could about cf, the learned how to do CPT, they learned about enzymes. They were ready for her.
<br />
<br />The infant room teachers did a great job of keeping her toys separate from the other babies' toys. She had a few colds that first winter, but fared pretty well. And, she LOVED daycare. Her developmental skills really went into overdrive once she started.
<br />
<br />To this day, our center staff remains AWESOME. They know way more about CF than the average person, they take such good care of her, and they do all that they can to make sure that she gets what she needs. Many of them walked in Great Strides with us on Sunday. They had their own fundraisers. They are fantastic.
<br />
<br />Being in daycare has not, to this point, been a detriment to Emily's health.
<br />
<br />It's a tough decision. And, honestly, if I hadn't know these ladies before Em came along, I might not have been able to trust them the way I did at first. But, good care can be found, so, I'd encourage you to not rule it out if it's something you are interested in.
<br />
<br />Good luck. Many of us have wrestled with this one.

rubyroselee

Although I am the one with CF, I can relate to the situation. I do not want my kids in daycare for both them getting sick or bringing things home to me. My situation is just like Theresa's in that we work opposite shifts so our son sees us both during the day. But that also means we never get to see each other. We're hoping one of us lands a new job with a different shift in the near future that will allow us to spend more time together, but it will also cut my hours down a little. I think you just have to find out what works best for you. Can you work different shifts in the very beginning and then do daycare when your son is a little older (although I'm not sure how old he is already)? Eventually they'll have to go to school anyways, but I think the longer you can hold off, the better. Good luck!

rubyroselee

Although I am the one with CF, I can relate to the situation. I do not want my kids in daycare for both them getting sick or bringing things home to me. My situation is just like Theresa's in that we work opposite shifts so our son sees us both during the day. But that also means we never get to see each other. We're hoping one of us lands a new job with a different shift in the near future that will allow us to spend more time together, but it will also cut my hours down a little. I think you just have to find out what works best for you. Can you work different shifts in the very beginning and then do daycare when your son is a little older (although I'm not sure how old he is already)? Eventually they'll have to go to school anyways, but I think the longer you can hold off, the better. Good luck!

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

BabyBeauty

I am faced with the same decision right now. We have to make our final decision on what we are doing in the next two weeks.

BD (before diagnosis) I was planning on putting Avery in daycare and going back to work. AD (after diagnosis) I am struggling with what to do.

Our CF center said they understand if we had to put her daycare, but it was not the best option. We agree, as we don't know what her path will be with CF. We are going to be as proactive as possible in keeping her healthy, so if I do go back to work we are looking at a nanny or a family home with 4 other children.

Here are my thoughts...I will probably ramble.

Nanny would be the best option...but darn it is expensive! Having one on one care with meds/treatment would be wonderful. Also having someone come into your home helps with some stress getting ready and coming home from work. We also would use her to go to dr appts and such. This again would be great in my husbands and my work schedule. Also not having her exposed to other germy kids is a huge benefit. Downside: EXPENSIVE and also the socialization aspect. She wouldn't get to play with other kids - I don't want her to be a bubble baby!

Family home is much more affordable. You still have good care if the home is limited to a few kids. Also the social part is there. She can play with other kids. It would be a bit harder for meds/treatment, but do-able. Getting to and from the home is a bit more difficult. Our issue is finding a home that has an opening, is close, and we trust. We just haven't found one here.

To be honest, I will probably end up staying home for the first year of her life. I want to give her the best possible care I can and that is with me (I feel). I would love to go back to work and resume my life BD, but things have changed. Avery is my number one concern. I want her to have a long and healthy life. Getting her fattened up is numero uno!

If I don't go back to work I am going to miss our extra income - shopping, trips, housekeeper, fitness membership. But my little beauty is so much more important.

Sorry to ramble - I am just really struggling with this decision. It helped to get some thoughts out!

BabyBeauty

I am faced with the same decision right now. We have to make our final decision on what we are doing in the next two weeks.

BD (before diagnosis) I was planning on putting Avery in daycare and going back to work. AD (after diagnosis) I am struggling with what to do.

Our CF center said they understand if we had to put her daycare, but it was not the best option. We agree, as we don't know what her path will be with CF. We are going to be as proactive as possible in keeping her healthy, so if I do go back to work we are looking at a nanny or a family home with 4 other children.

Nanny would be the best option...but darn it is expensive! Having one on one care with meds/treatment would be wonderful. Also having someone come into your home helps with some stress getting ready and coming home from work. We also would use her to go to dr appts and such. This again would be great in my husbands and my work schedule. Also not having her exposed to other germy kids is a huge benefit. Downside: EXPENSIVE and also the socialization aspect. She wouldn't get to play with other kids - I don't want her to be a bubble baby!

Family home is much more affordable. You still have good care if the home is limited to a few kids. Also the social part is there. She can play with other kids. It would be a bit harder for meds/treatment, but do-able. Getting to and from the home is a bit more difficult. Our issue is finding a home that has an opening, is close, and we trust. We just haven't found one here.

To be honest, I will probably end up staying home for the first year of her life. I want to give her the best possible care I can and that is with me (I feel). I would love to go back to work and resume my life BD, but things have changed. Avery is my number one concern. I want her to have a long and healthy life. Getting her fattened up is numero uno!

If I don't go back to work I am going to miss our extra income - shopping, trips, housekeeper, fitness membership. But my little beauty is so much more important.

Sorry to ramble - I am just really struggling with this decision. It helped to get some thoughts out!

BabyBeauty

BabyBeauty

BabyBeauty

<br />
<br />BD (before diagnosis) I was planning on putting Avery in daycare and going back to work. AD (after diagnosis) I am struggling with what to do.
<br />
<br />Our CF center said they understand if we had to put her daycare, but it was not the best option. We agree, as we don't know what her path will be with CF. We are going to be as proactive as possible in keeping her healthy, so if I do go back to work we are looking at a nanny or a family home with 4 other children.
<br />
<br />Here are my thoughts...I will probably ramble.
<br />
<br />Nanny would be the best option...but darn it is expensive! Having one on one care with meds/treatment would be wonderful. Also having someone come into your home helps with some stress getting ready and coming home from work. We also would use her to go to dr appts and such. This again would be great in my husbands and my work schedule. Also not having her exposed to other germy kids is a huge benefit. Downside: EXPENSIVE and also the socialization aspect. She wouldn't get to play with other kids - I don't want her to be a bubble baby!
<br />
<br />Family home is much more affordable. You still have good care if the home is limited to a few kids. Also the social part is there. She can play with other kids. It would be a bit harder for meds/treatment, but do-able. Getting to and from the home is a bit more difficult. Our issue is finding a home that has an opening, is close, and we trust. We just haven't found one here.
<br />
<br />To be honest, I will probably end up staying home for the first year of her life. I want to give her the best possible care I can and that is with me (I feel). I would love to go back to work and resume my life BD, but things have changed. Avery is my number one concern. I want her to have a long and healthy life. Getting her fattened up is numero uno!
<br />
<br />If I don't go back to work I am going to miss our extra income - shopping, trips, housekeeper, fitness membership. But my little beauty is so much more important.
<br />
<br />Sorry to ramble - I am just really struggling with this decision. It helped to get some thoughts out!

zoeg

We struggled with the same thing. I am a teacher and when my daughter was born in October 2005, I considered not finishing out the school year. Well, we were lucky that my mom and mother in law decided to watch Kate that first year for us.

The following school year, they did continue to watch her, but we had one day that no one was available that we put her in a daycare. I was so stressed about the decision, but our CF doctor was really supportive and said she will pick up germs in kindergarten. The center has been wonderful these past couple years. She has caught some colds, ear infections, etc.- but is has all been normal kid stuff. NOthing major, and usually the rest of the room has it too.

Now I am getting nervous because this fall when she turns 3 she will start full time preschool. I know that it will work out just as the daycare has for us, but it is tough with these changes. So, just know if you decide to do daycare or babysitting, you are not alone and it is not all bad. Actually, my daughter LOVES the "school" days. I think the social interaction and just be in a school type setting has been wonderful for her.

Zoe, mom to Kate wCF and Ava 1 month noCF

zoeg

We struggled with the same thing. I am a teacher and when my daughter was born in October 2005, I considered not finishing out the school year. Well, we were lucky that my mom and mother in law decided to watch Kate that first year for us.

The following school year, they did continue to watch her, but we had one day that no one was available that we put her in a daycare. I was so stressed about the decision, but our CF doctor was really supportive and said she will pick up germs in kindergarten. The center has been wonderful these past couple years. She has caught some colds, ear infections, etc.- but is has all been normal kid stuff. NOthing major, and usually the rest of the room has it too.

Now I am getting nervous because this fall when she turns 3 she will start full time preschool. I know that it will work out just as the daycare has for us, but it is tough with these changes. So, just know if you decide to do daycare or babysitting, you are not alone and it is not all bad. Actually, my daughter LOVES the "school" days. I think the social interaction and just be in a school type setting has been wonderful for her.

zoeg

zoeg

zoeg

<br />
<br />The following school year, they did continue to watch her, but we had one day that no one was available that we put her in a daycare. I was so stressed about the decision, but our CF doctor was really supportive and said she will pick up germs in kindergarten. The center has been wonderful these past couple years. She has caught some colds, ear infections, etc.- but is has all been normal kid stuff. NOthing major, and usually the rest of the room has it too.
<br />
<br />Now I am getting nervous because this fall when she turns 3 she will start full time preschool. I know that it will work out just as the daycare has for us, but it is tough with these changes. So, just know if you decide to do daycare or babysitting, you are not alone and it is not all bad. Actually, my daughter LOVES the "school" days. I think the social interaction and just be in a school type setting has been wonderful for her.
<br />
<br />Zoe, mom to Kate wCF and Ava 1 month noCF