Childcare and CF

zoeg

We also do a daycare, but just one day a week. I actually wish we did more, but it is very expensive. Kate didn't start until she was one and she did catch a lot of the normal kid stuff that first year. Now in the two year old room she is rarely ill at all. We did discuss it with our clinic when we decided to start and they said it will help build up her immune system before she goes to school. Next year, we will do full time preschool and I am nervous for her health, but I am also so excited for her to get to be around peers each day. I really agonized with the decision at first, but now I am glad she is around others even if it is just one day a week for now.

Zoe, mom to Kate wCF

zoeg

We also do a daycare, but just one day a week. I actually wish we did more, but it is very expensive. Kate didn't start until she was one and she did catch a lot of the normal kid stuff that first year. Now in the two year old room she is rarely ill at all. We did discuss it with our clinic when we decided to start and they said it will help build up her immune system before she goes to school. Next year, we will do full time preschool and I am nervous for her health, but I am also so excited for her to get to be around peers each day. I really agonized with the decision at first, but now I am glad she is around others even if it is just one day a week for now.

Zoe, mom to Kate wCF

zoeg

Zoe, mom to Kate wCF

zoeg

Zoe, mom to Kate wCF

zoeg

<br />
<br />Zoe, mom to Kate wCF

beccasmom

My daughter with CF is 22 months old. I am a single parent so I have no choice but to work. We have had a nanny for the last year. It has been awesome. She comes to our home. When my CF child is in the hospital my other non-CF child is able to stay the night with her, so I never have to worry about finding someone to watch him, even in an emergency. Our nanny has been great about learning to use the vest, doing CPT, breathing treatments and making sure Becca gets enough calories during the day. Becca has not been growing well and our nanny takes her in for weekly weight checks and stuff. Becca is also on oxygen full time and the nanny has been great with that as well, she has totally adapted to taking the tanks with her and making sure Becca keeps the canula on etc. I had both my kids in Daycare for awhile and it work ok but they would not give Becca her enzymes or do any other treatments, we already had the nanny when Becca was diagnosed with CF at 18 months, because Becca had been in and out of the hospital so much prior to her diagnosis that having a nanny was easier. Both my kids love our nanny and consider her part of our family.

beccasmom

My daughter with CF is 22 months old. I am a single parent so I have no choice but to work. We have had a nanny for the last year. It has been awesome. She comes to our home. When my CF child is in the hospital my other non-CF child is able to stay the night with her, so I never have to worry about finding someone to watch him, even in an emergency. Our nanny has been great about learning to use the vest, doing CPT, breathing treatments and making sure Becca gets enough calories during the day. Becca has not been growing well and our nanny takes her in for weekly weight checks and stuff. Becca is also on oxygen full time and the nanny has been great with that as well, she has totally adapted to taking the tanks with her and making sure Becca keeps the canula on etc. I had both my kids in Daycare for awhile and it work ok but they would not give Becca her enzymes or do any other treatments, we already had the nanny when Becca was diagnosed with CF at 18 months, because Becca had been in and out of the hospital so much prior to her diagnosis that having a nanny was easier. Both my kids love our nanny and consider her part of our family.

beccasmom

beccasmom

beccasmom

MargaritaChic

This is a difficult question for every parent of a newborn with CF. Everyone has to make their own decision about what is best for them personally.

My daughter is 4 months old. I work full-time and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He works part-time when I am home or when my mom is able to watch Emma. We chose NOT to put her in Daycare. Our CF Clinic encouraged us to keep her out of Daycare for as long as possible.

She will go to preschool, kindergarten, etc ... when she is old enough. But in the meantime we want to expose her to as little illness as we can.

This is our choice. This is what we feel most comfortable with. Does this mean that you should not put your child into Daycare? NO. This is what we decided we felt most comfortable with. You need to decide what you feel comfortable with. Talk to your CF doctor/staff they should provide you with information about keeping your child healthy at home or in a Daycare setting.

Good luck!

MargaritaChic

This is a difficult question for every parent of a newborn with CF. Everyone has to make their own decision about what is best for them personally.

My daughter is 4 months old. I work full-time and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He works part-time when I am home or when my mom is able to watch Emma. We chose NOT to put her in Daycare. Our CF Clinic encouraged us to keep her out of Daycare for as long as possible.

She will go to preschool, kindergarten, etc ... when she is old enough. But in the meantime we want to expose her to as little illness as we can.

This is our choice. This is what we feel most comfortable with. Does this mean that you should not put your child into Daycare? NO. This is what we decided we felt most comfortable with. You need to decide what you feel comfortable with. Talk to your CF doctor/staff they should provide you with information about keeping your child healthy at home or in a Daycare setting.

Good luck!

MargaritaChic

Good luck!

MargaritaChic

Good luck!

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />My daughter is 4 months old. I work full-time and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He works part-time when I am home or when my mom is able to watch Emma. We chose NOT to put her in Daycare. Our CF Clinic encouraged us to keep her out of Daycare for as long as possible.
<br />
<br />She will go to preschool, kindergarten, etc ... when she is old enough. But in the meantime we want to expose her to as little illness as we can.
<br />
<br />This is our choice. This is what we feel most comfortable with. Does this mean that you should not put your child into Daycare? NO. This is what we decided we felt most comfortable with. You need to decide what you feel comfortable with. Talk to your CF doctor/staff they should provide you with information about keeping your child healthy at home or in a Daycare setting.
<br />
<br />Good luck!