CHildrens emotional health

Murgie

Has anyone considered or had counseling done for children with CF?My 5 year old suffers anxiety ( so do mom and dad), and last night he told me he dreams he is dying and he does not want to leave his life!I sense his issue are anxiety, perhaps induced by so much medication, I would like to find a book or something that can teach me how to encourage a 5 year old.

anonymous

Honestly, the only book I think that can help you and your child is the Bible. It has all of the answer's to life's problems.“For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11“...with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26 “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all of your ways and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5,6"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes shall stay in darkness," replied Jesus. John 12:46"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situaion, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who give me strength." Philippians 4:12,13"The world and its desires will pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."1 John 2:17"Teach the word of God to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 11:19"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" 1 Corinthians 2:9

anonymous

I have never had counsiling myself, but I would recommend it if your child seems to be struggling with the emotional side. I wish I had counsiling especially when I was a teen, I think it would be helpful. As for books I do not know of one off hand, but avoid any book that is even in the slightest way negative about CF. Do not allow your child to read about CFers who died or terribly ill. Although your child will eventually come across stories or web sites about people with CF dying I do not believe that a 5 year old should ever have to worry about such a thing. Sorry I was not much help.

Drea

Hi MurgieHave you read any of the kids CF books with your son? It may help him to know that this is something that other kids have and deal with. If he doesn't know anyone else with CF he may be feeling like the odd kid out. "Mallory's sixty five roses" is good so is "taking Cystic Fibrosis to school". Have you been on the CF parent's list? it is a yahoo group, The address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cfparents also try http://groups.msn.com/cysticfibrosis2chat lots of people there, many young adults with CF who are willing to tell you how things were handled with them. It's worth a try!Andrea

anonymous

Hey, I read a book called Alive at 25. It's kind of geared towards adults, but it talks about what this guy has done to keep himself healthy, what he's been through and what he's doing now. I have found it very helpful when I feel like giving up. I don't know of any books out there for children. A counselor would probably be a good idea just so your son can get some stuff off his mind. It's hard dealing with all that stuff.-Sunnie