cholesterol

dyza

Has any one got high cholesterol, I had a recent test and my number was 7.5, the recomended number is 4.
I have had a look to find out what foods cause high cholesterol, god its everything that tastes so nice, so I have to go on a more healthy diet. The question is does high cholesterol affect CFers, as it seems to be caused by all the foods that you may eat to gain weight?

dyza

Has any one got high cholesterol, I had a recent test and my number was 7.5, the recomended number is 4.
I have had a look to find out what foods cause high cholesterol, god its everything that tastes so nice, so I have to go on a more healthy diet. The question is does high cholesterol affect CFers, as it seems to be caused by all the foods that you may eat to gain weight?

dyza

JazzysMom

I am interested in hearing "founded" feedback on this. I know that many people have ??? the high fat CF diet for this reason, but I dont recall seeing anything in print saying it has been found to be an actual problem. Like so much other things with CF.....it might be something on an individual basis. Looking forward to some more input!

JazzysMom

I am interested in hearing "founded" feedback on this. I know that many people have ??? the high fat CF diet for this reason, but I dont recall seeing anything in print saying it has been found to be an actual problem. Like so much other things with CF.....it might be something on an individual basis. Looking forward to some more input!

JazzysMom

Anns

Craig,<br>
I have never seen #s like that to represent cholesterol.
 Usually it's a 2 or 3 didgit value.  And there are diff
#s for trigs, HDL, LDL, etc....<br>
I once asked about high cholesterol and the dr told me CFers didn't
need to worry about it, and if it was ever a problem, then there
are meds out there of it.  

Anns

Craig,<br>

Anns

Craig,<br>

catboogie

i have always been told that (most) CFers are prone to have low cholesterol because of the inability to absorb fat properly.

the first time i heard my cholesterol number it was 99. a more recent test showed it to be in the low 100s. maybe 110 or less. very low.

catboogie

i have always been told that (most) CFers are prone to have low cholesterol because of the inability to absorb fat properly.

the first time i heard my cholesterol number it was 99. a more recent test showed it to be in the low 100s. maybe 110 or less. very low.

catboogie

chipper28

I've never made it into the three digits on total cholesterol. Not insanely low, but in the 90s. My poor husband who takes cholesterol medicine looked at my most recent blood work, looked at what I was eating and declared that i was definitely weird!

On another note, the cholesterol meds word really well for him. He started quite high... And within 3 months it was down to the edge of acceptable and ever since it's been well in teh normal range. One pill a day... Not too bad.

chipper28

I've never made it into the three digits on total cholesterol. Not insanely low, but in the 90s. My poor husband who takes cholesterol medicine looked at my most recent blood work, looked at what I was eating and declared that i was definitely weird!

On another note, the cholesterol meds word really well for him. He started quite high... And within 3 months it was down to the edge of acceptable and ever since it's been well in teh normal range. One pill a day... Not too bad.

chipper28

Ender

Mine are a bit high, but it runs in my family.

As stated they do have meds for them...and it's kinda interesting cause they are looking at meds in this class (statins) as a possible way to increase NO in the lungs. So maybe you can try it and see if it does anything for the lungs...

Ender

As stated they do have meds for them...and it's kinda interesting cause they are looking at meds in this class (statins) as a possible way to increase NO in the lungs. So maybe you can try it and see if it does anything for the lungs...

Ender

dyza

Must be Scotland that is behind when it comes to the numbers, I take it if you are used to seeing it expressed as a 3 digit number, then whatever the norm is in that range just double it and thats my figure.

It makes sense about not being able to process the fats, but my son is pancreatic sufficient, and I had this in mind for when he is older.

Who wants to take another drug, healthy eating to me is the way to go and Ender its my son who has CF so I couldent help you there on the lung question .

dyza

Must be Scotland that is behind when it comes to the numbers, I take it if you are used to seeing it expressed as a 3 digit number, then whatever the norm is in that range just double it and thats my figure.

It makes sense about not being able to process the fats, but my son is pancreatic sufficient, and I had this in mind for when he is older.

Who wants to take another drug, healthy eating to me is the way to go and Ender its my son who has CF so I couldent help you there on the lung question .