Christmas Eve party

kaylasdad

Every year my sister has a family get together on c\Christmas Eve.The problem is not everyone in my family realize how important it is for my daughter not to be around someone sick is,and i know a lot of them have not got their flu shot.

And they also smoke in the basement at parties. My brother in law put a exhaust fan above the bar were people smoke. But not sure that would be enough.

Normally i wouldn't even be asking for your opinion, i would just not go but my family really means a lot to me and i want my daughter to see them at least once a year. ( we just don't see most of them all year long.

kaylasdad

Every year my sister has a family get together on c\Christmas Eve.The problem is not everyone in my family realize how important it is for my daughter not to be around someone sick is,and i know a lot of them have not got their flu shot.

And they also smoke in the basement at parties. My brother in law put a exhaust fan above the bar were people smoke. But not sure that would be enough.

Normally i wouldn't even be asking for your opinion, i would just not go but my family really means a lot to me and i want my daughter to see them at least once a year. ( we just don't see most of them all year long.

kaylasdad

<br />
<br />And they also smoke in the basement at parties. My brother in law put a exhaust fan above the bar were people smoke. But not sure that would be enough.
<br />
<br />Normally i wouldn't even be asking for your opinion, i would just not go but my family really means a lot to me and i want my daughter to see them at least once a year. ( we just don't see most of them all year long.

T

TonyaH

I say go. The concern about people not having their flu shots could easily be said about 75 percent of the people she plays with on a daily basis,..friends, neighbors, etc. You did not mention anyone in your family being ill right now. That would make me think twice about things. But just the fact that your family has not had flu shots would not keep me from attending Christmas Eve fesitivities.

The smoking is a hard one. I don't feel that confining the smoking to the basement will solve anything. Even if you stay upstairs, the smoke will linger, attach itself to people's clothing, etc. However, I am going to say again that I don't think it would keep me from Christmas Eve. I certainly wouldn't hang out in the basement, but I would stay upstairs and visit there.

Good luck making your decision. I have had to make similar choices, as my father is a smoker and it drives me crazy. We limit our exposure to his house and really only go there about once a year. We make them summer visits so we can be ouside most of the time. I have to remind myself that the few hours we are there is probably the equivalent of sitting around a campfire for an hour, etc....luxuries we do give ourselves once in awhile. It's just irritating because smoking is such a personal choice and it's hard not to take it personally and feel that if they cared enough about you and your child they would find the will to stop.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful Christmas Season!

T

TonyaH

I say go. The concern about people not having their flu shots could easily be said about 75 percent of the people she plays with on a daily basis,..friends, neighbors, etc. You did not mention anyone in your family being ill right now. That would make me think twice about things. But just the fact that your family has not had flu shots would not keep me from attending Christmas Eve fesitivities.

The smoking is a hard one. I don't feel that confining the smoking to the basement will solve anything. Even if you stay upstairs, the smoke will linger, attach itself to people's clothing, etc. However, I am going to say again that I don't think it would keep me from Christmas Eve. I certainly wouldn't hang out in the basement, but I would stay upstairs and visit there.

Good luck making your decision. I have had to make similar choices, as my father is a smoker and it drives me crazy. We limit our exposure to his house and really only go there about once a year. We make them summer visits so we can be ouside most of the time. I have to remind myself that the few hours we are there is probably the equivalent of sitting around a campfire for an hour, etc....luxuries we do give ourselves once in awhile. It's just irritating because smoking is such a personal choice and it's hard not to take it personally and feel that if they cared enough about you and your child they would find the will to stop.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful Christmas Season!

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />The smoking is a hard one. I don't feel that confining the smoking to the basement will solve anything. Even if you stay upstairs, the smoke will linger, attach itself to people's clothing, etc. However, I am going to say again that I don't think it would keep me from Christmas Eve. I certainly wouldn't hang out in the basement, but I would stay upstairs and visit there.
<br />
<br />Good luck making your decision. I have had to make similar choices, as my father is a smoker and it drives me crazy. We limit our exposure to his house and really only go there about once a year. We make them summer visits so we can be ouside most of the time. I have to remind myself that the few hours we are there is probably the equivalent of sitting around a campfire for an hour, etc....luxuries we do give ourselves once in awhile. It's just irritating because smoking is such a personal choice and it's hard not to take it personally and feel that if they cared enough about you and your child they would find the will to stop.
<br />
<br />Whatever you decide, have a wonderful Christmas Season!

Hi, I'ld say go since you did not mention anybody being ill.
Flu vaccination is not very popular here - rather very little people take it. My family doesn't understand Joanna 's cf and they choose acctually not to believe it - since "she looks splendid".
I usually go (Christmas Eve - or summer parties - but not to birthdays or meetings during flu season) and if I find someone sick - I ask openly what is it cause I want to know what I'm dealing with and what to expect. I do it aloud or ask my mom to be present at the conversation when the question concerns older family members. So they won't feel offended.
Smoking is a problem - maybe you can ask to change the tradition of smoking in the basement and take it outside?
As far as quitting smoking - with people who smoked all they lives - impossible..... I ask them to go outside - even their own cancer doesn't seem to stop them from it....not that they don't care for my daughter - they just can't stop.

Flu vaccination is not very popular here - rather very little people take it. My family doesn't understand Joanna 's cf and they choose acctually not to believe it - since "she looks splendid".
I usually go (Christmas Eve - or summer parties - but not to birthdays or meetings during flu season) and if I find someone sick - I ask openly what is it cause I want to know what I'm dealing with and what to expect. I do it aloud or ask my mom to be present at the conversation when the question concerns older family members. So they won't feel offended.
Smoking is a problem - maybe you can ask to change the tradition of smoking in the basement and take it outside?
As far as quitting smoking - with people who smoked all they lives - impossible..... I ask them to go outside - even their own cancer doesn't seem to stop them from it....not that they don't care for my daughter - they just can't stop.

<br />Flu vaccination is not very popular here - rather very little people take it. My family doesn't understand Joanna 's cf and they choose acctually not to believe it - since "she looks splendid".
<br />I usually go (Christmas Eve - or summer parties - but not to birthdays or meetings during flu season) and if I find someone sick - I ask openly what is it cause I want to know what I'm dealing with and what to expect. I do it aloud or ask my mom to be present at the conversation when the question concerns older family members. So they won't feel offended.
<br />Smoking is a problem - maybe you can ask to change the tradition of smoking in the basement and take it outside?
<br />As far as quitting smoking - with people who smoked all they lives - impossible..... I ask them to go outside - even their own cancer doesn't seem to stop them from it....not that they don't care for my daughter - they just can't stop.

C

Cherylwithone

I would go. Just watch who is hugging her. Wash hands alot. Do not go into the basement. I so agree with Tonya on this.

Enjoy your self and have a great time with family and friends.

C

Cherylwithone

I would go. Just watch who is hugging her. Wash hands alot. Do not go into the basement. I so agree with Tonya on this.

Enjoy your self and have a great time with family and friends.

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />Enjoy your self and have a great time with family and friends.

kaylasdad

Thank you very much for your help! we have decided to go and if things don't work out that well, we can always leave early. Just trying to make her life as normal as possible.
There is a fine line between being over protective and not worrying enough. Still trying to find that line.
I just thank god for all of you on this site!
Merry Christmas!!!

kaylasdad

Thank you very much for your help! we have decided to go and if things don't work out that well, we can always leave early. Just trying to make her life as normal as possible.
There is a fine line between being over protective and not worrying enough. Still trying to find that line.
I just thank god for all of you on this site!
Merry Christmas!!!

kaylasdad

<br />There is a fine line between being over protective and not worrying enough. Still trying to find that line.
<br />I just thank god for all of you on this site!
<br />Merry Christmas!!!

ehtansky21

Often we have an investigator go to the party first and see if there are any kids sick.....then we can be more prepared for what we are in for.
If there are sick adults, we just ask them to stear clear of our kids...if there is a sick kid, it is usually a no go.

ehtansky21

Often we have an investigator go to the party first and see if there are any kids sick.....then we can be more prepared for what we are in for.
If there are sick adults, we just ask them to stear clear of our kids...if there is a sick kid, it is usually a no go.

ehtansky21

<br />If there are sick adults, we just ask them to stear clear of our kids...if there is a sick kid, it is usually a no go.

zaj1139

I say go and ask if they can smoke outside. I can't see how that would be a big deal for any family member who has a person with CF. We have people who smoke come to our house and they know they have to smoke outside and then sterilize - not once have I had anyone seem the least bit upset with this procedure. Even when its very very cold or hot. Jaden's brother, mother and me (grandma) have all had our winter colds and we were around Jaden (we had no choice) and he did not get one symptom. May be we were lucky but also I think there is so much preventitive meds he is on it helps.

zaj1139

I say go and ask if they can smoke outside. I can't see how that would be a big deal for any family member who has a person with CF. We have people who smoke come to our house and they know they have to smoke outside and then sterilize - not once have I had anyone seem the least bit upset with this procedure. Even when its very very cold or hot. Jaden's brother, mother and me (grandma) have all had our winter colds and we were around Jaden (we had no choice) and he did not get one symptom. May be we were lucky but also I think there is so much preventitive meds he is on it helps.