Cipro and anxiety and depression

running4life

Question...

I have taken Cipro for many years now since it is what I am sensitive to. I just got over a battle with the flu. Or so my doctor says so, I wasn't actually tested for it and there wasn't really any point in doing so since it was too late for Tamiflu. Anyway, he put me on Cipro. Last night, I had severe anxiety and a mental breakdown of sorts. I do suffer with anxiety and depression and have been weaning off Lexapro as my final drug to come off of and have basically been doing really really well with it. I read this morning that Cipro can cause anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and trouble sleeping. I always have trouble sleeping so that isn't out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else had this experience with it? In the past it has upset my stomach, caused severe nausea and diarrhea, and sleeplessness, but nothing like last night. Could this be a reaction to weaning off the Lexapro? For now, I have stopped the Cipro and will call my doctor in the morning, but would like to hear your experiences.

Melissa75

Administrator
I'm sorry you had such a rough night. My sympathies. I can see how quinolones plus weaning off lexapro might be an issue.

Quinolones give me insomnia, anxiety and ankle pain. My last course was last spring, and I even had some sleep-paralysis that time--waking up from dreams (evil feeling ones, of course) and being unable to move, for how long, I don't know, but long enough to freak out at being immobile and struggling to move. I'm not sure I'll agree to take that class of abs again, because of that experience and because my ankles still act up months later. Prior to that 21-day course, the ankles only hurt when on the abs, not in btw courses. I was on Avelox about every month for two years, and it was toward the end of that period that I started noticing a connection between anxiety and the abs.

bigstar

Im taking Cipro twice a year or more. I never had such thing. Maybe you are just tired or stressed. Try to relax and give yourself sometime to heal.

MichaelL

I've been on Cipro for years and I have not had issues with ongoing depression or anxiety. If you this on an internet page of side effects, you may want to talk to your doctor for clarification. They usually have better information on how common/frequent side effects are.

Jana

I did have that problem once when I'd been taking Cipro/Levaquin a lot. It was something I had never experienced before, and when I described to my doctor how I was feeling, she immediately said it was from the medication. You definitely need to tell your doctor, especially given the other medication you are/have been taking.

jwags326

I had a similar situation when I was slowly going off of Zoloft. I had major anxiety and was getting sick at the same time. My guess it would be the lower dose of lexapro plus being on Cipro your body is not to par. I wouldn't stop the Cipro and talk to your doc about increasing lexapro until you are feeling better again. That helped me, plus I added yoga and saw a counselor every other week for a month to help with anxiety. I still do yoga two times a week and it has helped with my anxiety and I feel great after it!