Cipro Side Effects

AngieM

Hi. My 10 yr old step daughter is currently taking Cipro. We are going on a cruise next week and her CF doc wanted to put her on this before we go. She's on the 2nd week of taking it. 2 per day. Anyway, her eyes are really bloodshot. I know there can be side effects like sun sensitive skin but bloodshot eyes?? Has anyone ever had this. We go to clinic on 6/22 but wanted to see what you guys had to say. Thanks.

Angie

anonymous

I remember the Cipro can mess my stomach up real good, but that's the only side effect I remember having from it. I don't take it anymore since it doesn't work for my particular pseudomonas.

anonymous

It makes me burn more easily in the sun, maybe its a reaction in her eyes to the light or sun or something??

Shamrock, x

serendipity730

Make sure you are really careful with the sun, esp. if your daughter is fair. One time, I went to the beach when I was on Cipro, and despite applying and reapplying 30 SPF sun block, I got mild sun poisoning.

lovemygirl

Our daughter has been on Cipro twice now. The first time I don't recall any side effects but this time she had a lot of headaches. As for the sun I couldn't seem to get enough suntan lotion on her....and then she burned right under her eyes. She looked really sick and drawn, but it was gone the next day and she said it didn't bother her. She is almost 5 yrs old.

blindhearted

Cipro also made me burn more easily (even with 50+ sunscreen), then I started getting sun poison with it as well. Finally I got a red, raised, sun-poison like rash without being in the sun at all. I was told it was probably an allergic reaction to it, so now if I take it I have to take Zyrtec with it. Sounds weird, but seems to balance things out.

JohnnaMarie

Sun poisoning is when you get rash or blister like areas on your skin from being in the sun. It usually happens when you are out there too long, on a med that makes you sensitive to the sun, or are not using strong enough sunscreen, or a combination of those factors. People that get poisoning usually get dizzy or sick feeling and can run a fever. Sun screen is a good thing to prevent it and to just stay out of the sun while you are on meds that make you prone to getting sun burns.