Circling Back Again

yellowitchgrl

Long story short: My son is 17 months old and eats like a horse, yet gains little to no weight. He has no lung problems and until recently no digestive problems.

We had 2 sweat tests, the second at Hopkins and both were negative, so I let it go that he's just quirky and we'll take him to see a homeopathic doctor.

3 weeks ago he got the runs. I think it was triggered at first by a cold, because it was very mucusy (like he was swallowing the snot) and then it was just runny like hot tar. It smelled sooo bad. His butt looked horrible so I took him to the doctor and the ped (who's awesome) gave us a butt paste, antibiotic (which he said he wasn't sure Luke needed) and told us to give him probiotics.

The butt paste and antibiotic wouldn't be ready until the next day, but we had a type of probiotic on hand so we gave it to him and the next morning the runs were gone and his butt looked amazingly better. Needless to say we didn't give him the antibiotic.

I thought it was a once and done thing, but over the past two days his poop has been getting runny again and he's starting to have a horrible looking bottom. I'm going to give him another probiotic today but I don't think this is the answer- as in, if this keeps reoccurring there has to be a reason since this time he does not have a cold.

My gut instinct always said he has CF. I trust the negative results from Hopkins because they do have an entire CF department there so they know how to test for it, but I'm wondering if his bowels going south is a sign that it's time for the genetic test to see if/what the sweat test might not be able to answer.

I don't want him to have CF. I know you understand that, but if he does I want to know it NOW before he starts to get worse.

If you think I'm blowing this whole loose bowel thing out of proportion then please tell me that too. I would like honest opinions here.

PS His poop sinks most of the time (when we can shake it off- we cloth diaper)

yellowitchgrl

Long story short: My son is 17 months old and eats like a horse, yet gains little to no weight. He has no lung problems and until recently no digestive problems.

We had 2 sweat tests, the second at Hopkins and both were negative, so I let it go that he's just quirky and we'll take him to see a homeopathic doctor.

3 weeks ago he got the runs. I think it was triggered at first by a cold, because it was very mucusy (like he was swallowing the snot) and then it was just runny like hot tar. It smelled sooo bad. His butt looked horrible so I took him to the doctor and the ped (who's awesome) gave us a butt paste, antibiotic (which he said he wasn't sure Luke needed) and told us to give him probiotics.

The butt paste and antibiotic wouldn't be ready until the next day, but we had a type of probiotic on hand so we gave it to him and the next morning the runs were gone and his butt looked amazingly better. Needless to say we didn't give him the antibiotic.

I thought it was a once and done thing, but over the past two days his poop has been getting runny again and he's starting to have a horrible looking bottom. I'm going to give him another probiotic today but I don't think this is the answer- as in, if this keeps reoccurring there has to be a reason since this time he does not have a cold.

My gut instinct always said he has CF. I trust the negative results from Hopkins because they do have an entire CF department there so they know how to test for it, but I'm wondering if his bowels going south is a sign that it's time for the genetic test to see if/what the sweat test might not be able to answer.

I don't want him to have CF. I know you understand that, but if he does I want to know it NOW before he starts to get worse.

If you think I'm blowing this whole loose bowel thing out of proportion then please tell me that too. I would like honest opinions here.

yellowitchgrl

yellowitchgrl

yellowitchgrl

<br />
<br />We had 2 sweat tests, the second at Hopkins and both were negative, so I let it go that he's just quirky and we'll take him to see a homeopathic doctor.
<br />
<br />3 weeks ago he got the runs. I think it was triggered at first by a cold, because it was very mucusy (like he was swallowing the snot) and then it was just runny like hot tar. It smelled sooo bad. His butt looked horrible so I took him to the doctor and the ped (who's awesome) gave us a butt paste, antibiotic (which he said he wasn't sure Luke needed) and told us to give him probiotics.
<br />
<br />The butt paste and antibiotic wouldn't be ready until the next day, but we had a type of probiotic on hand so we gave it to him and the next morning the runs were gone and his butt looked amazingly better. Needless to say we didn't give him the antibiotic.
<br />
<br />I thought it was a once and done thing, but over the past two days his poop has been getting runny again and he's starting to have a horrible looking bottom. I'm going to give him another probiotic today but I don't think this is the answer- as in, if this keeps reoccurring there has to be a reason since this time he does not have a cold.
<br />
<br />My gut instinct always said he has CF. I trust the negative results from Hopkins because they do have an entire CF department there so they know how to test for it, but I'm wondering if his bowels going south is a sign that it's time for the genetic test to see if/what the sweat test might not be able to answer.
<br />
<br />I don't want him to have CF. I know you understand that, but if he does I want to know it NOW before he starts to get worse.
<br />
<br />If you think I'm blowing this whole loose bowel thing out of proportion then please tell me that too. I would like honest opinions here.
<br />
<br />
<br />PS His poop sinks most of the time (when we can shake it off- we cloth diaper)

mommy2diego

what were the numbers on the sweat test, were they completely negative or in the borderline range? I would go for a full panel ambry genetics test. There are some with mutations that show as borderline on a sweat test. Then, atleast you would know for sure and the doctors can start exploring some other possibilities if it's not cf.

mommy2diego

what were the numbers on the sweat test, were they completely negative or in the borderline range? I would go for a full panel ambry genetics test. There are some with mutations that show as borderline on a sweat test. Then, atleast you would know for sure and the doctors can start exploring some other possibilities if it's not cf.

mommy2diego

mommy2diego

mommy2diego

M

Mommafirst

Is the poop greasy? I would think that you would be better served to have a fecal fat or stool elastase test done. If it shows pancreatic insufficiency you can go deeper into CF, but from what you are saying this doesn't sound like enough to presume CF.

M

Mommafirst

Is the poop greasy? I would think that you would be better served to have a fecal fat or stool elastase test done. If it shows pancreatic insufficiency you can go deeper into CF, but from what you are saying this doesn't sound like enough to presume CF.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst