clinic team

musclemania70

<P>Why don't the teams have a psychologist as part of the cf team. There is nutritionist, RT, doc, nurse and  social worker. Am I missing anyone? </P>
<P>Why not have someone address the mental well-being issues that go along with having a terminal illness/chronic disease? </P>
<P>The social worker at our team does absolutely NOTHING except stamp my parking pass when I come to clinic. Is there something I am missing???</P>
<P>I believe there are therapists and mental health counselors at Cancer centers. Why not CF?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Maybe they don't want to assume we are mentally ill or something?</P>
<P>I always have wished there was someone(a professional) to discuss life issues. As an earlier posted stated, is there anything that CF doesn't touch? Mental, physical emotional strains could have been better handled had there been someone to help handle all the responsibilities of having a chronic illness...</P>
<P> </P>
<P>I am sure we may know someone who has taken their own life or even just given up on life due to this horrible disease...</P>
<P> </P>

musclemania70

<P>Why don't the teams have a psychologist as part of the cf team. There is nutritionist, RT, doc, nurse and social worker. Am I missing anyone? </P>
<P>Why not have someone address the mental well-being issues that go along with having a terminal illness/chronic disease? </P>
<P>The social worker at our team does absolutely NOTHING except stamp my parking pass when I come to clinic. Is there something I am missing???</P>
<P>I believe there are therapists and mental health counselors at Cancer centers. Why not CF?</P>
<P></P>
<P>I always have wished there was someone(a professional)to discuss life issues. As an earlier posted stated, is there anything that CF doesn't touch? Mental, physical emotional strains could have been better handled had there been someone to help handle all the responsibilities of having achronic illness...</P>
<P></P>
<P>I am sure we may know someone who has taken their own life or even just given up on life due to this horrible disease...</P>
<P></P>

musclemania70

<P><BR>Why don't the teams have a psychologist as part of the cf team. There is nutritionist, RT, doc, nurse and social worker. Am I missing anyone? </P>
<P></P>
<P>I always have wished there was someone(a professional)to discuss life issues. As an earlier posted stated, is there anything that CF doesn't touch? Mental, physical emotional strains could have been better handled had there been someone to help handle all the responsibilities of having achronic illness...</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

Printer

WOW! At Massachusetts General Hospital they have great Social Workers. Even do phone or e-mail follow up.

Bill

Printer

WOW! At Massachusetts General Hospital they have great Social Workers. Even do phone or e-mail follow up.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Bill

msbmsw

As a social worker who worked with a CF team, I'm sorry to hear
that you are not getting the emotional support you need. Have
you asked the social worker at your clinic to talk? Perhaps he/she
has misguidedly assumed you don't want anything more than parking passes.
Some people who have CF and other chronic illnesses might not want
to acknowledge that the illness takes an emotional toll for fear of being
thought to be mentally ill, and distress due to chronic illness is not
mental illness, but a trained social worker should be able to offer supportive
counseling and listening.
There is a very active group of CF social workers and other mental health
professionals at the CF Foundation who believe that emotional support is a vital part of what
your CF team should offer. Perhaps you might want to mention this
to your CF physician.

msbmsw

that you are not getting the emotional support you need. Have
you asked the social worker at your clinic to talk? Perhaps he/she
has misguidedly assumed you don't want anything more than parking passes.
Some people who have CF and other chronic illnesses might not want
to acknowledge that the illness takes an emotional toll for fear of being
thought to be mentally ill, and distress due to chronic illness is not
mental illness, but a trained social worker should be able to offer supportive
counseling and listening.
There is a very active group of CF social workers and other mental health
professionals at the CF Foundation who believe that emotional support is a vital part of what
your CF team should offer. Perhaps you might want to mention this
to your CF physician.

msbmsw

<br />that you are not getting the emotional support you need. Have
<br />you asked the social worker at your clinic to talk? Perhaps he/she
<br />has misguidedly assumed you don't want anything more than parking passes.
<br />Some people who have CF and other chronic illnesses might not want
<br />to acknowledge that the illness takes an emotional toll for fear of being
<br />thought to be mentally ill, and distress due to chronic illness is not
<br />mental illness, but a trained social worker should be able to offer supportive
<br />counseling and listening.
<br />There is a very active group of CF social workers and other mental health
<br />professionals at the CF Foundation who believe that emotional support is a vital part of what
<br />your CF team should offer. Perhaps you might want to mention this
<br />to your CF physician.

mag6125

The social worker at our clinic is great and very involved, she even does home visits if there is something we need to talk about outside clinic hours. If you're not getting the support you need from your social worker you could always ask them for a reference for a psychologist, mine has also had the hospital psychologist visit while I was in patient if need

mag6125

The social worker at our clinic is great and very involved, she even does home visits if there is something we need to talk about outside clinic hours. If you're not getting the support you need from your social worker you could always ask them for a reference for a psychologist, mine has also had the hospital psychologist visit while I was in patient if need

mag6125

nmw0615

Before I made the switch to the adult hospital, the social worker I had was amazing. I could talk to her about anything and when my problems started becoming more than she was able to help me deal with, she helped me find someone who would be better equipped to help me.

Now that I've made the transition to the adult hospital, I'm getting used to the new social worker. I've only met her once, but from that she seemed to be just as wonderful as my former social worker.

nmw0615

Before I made the switch to the adult hospital, the social worker I had was amazing. I could talk to her about anything and when my problems started becoming more than she was able to help me deal with, she helped me find someone who would be better equipped to help me.

Now that I've made the transition to the adult hospital, I'm getting used to the new social worker. I've only met her once, but from that she seemed to be just as wonderful as my former social worker.

nmw0615

<br />
<br />Now that I've made the transition to the adult hospital, I'm getting used to the new social worker. I've only met her once, but from that she seemed to be just as wonderful as my former social worker.

M

Mommafirst

Funny you should ask this....as not only do we have a really great social worker at our clinic (the same as mag6125), but they've just introduced a psychologist as well to the team. We had our first visit with her at our clinic last week. I think this is a good question and probably has been heard, because it sounds like the CFF will be pushing more centers to incorporate psychology (actually, they like to call it "behavioral therapy") into the team.

M

Mommafirst

Funny you should ask this....as not only do we have a really great social worker at our clinic (the same as mag6125), but they've just introduced a psychologist as well to the team. We had our first visit with her at our clinic last week. I think this is a good question and probably has been heard, because it sounds like the CFF will be pushing more centers to incorporate psychology (actually, they like to call it "behavioral therapy") into the team.

M

Mommafirst

mamaScarlett

My social worker is great. She always asks, and is positive and supportive. But if I needed real therapy I'd go to someone for that specifically. Personally, I think they are too expensive to keep on staff, and also too hard to find.<br>

mamaScarlett

My social worker is great. She always asks, and is positive and supportive. But if I needed real therapy I'd go to someone for that specifically. Personally, I think they are too expensive to keep on staff, and also too hard to find.<br>