Clinic visit precautions

creation301

I just posted a few days ago about the do' s and don't with cf and several people mentioned clinic check-up's being the most dangerous place. We have an appointment in a couple of days. I usually try to have our 20 month old wear a mask, and make sure she purells her hands often. I have also taken the hospital grade antibacterial wipes to clean everything that is her height in the room. Are there some other things that can be done? About six months ago after a visit she became sick with PA, could be bad timing or.... anyway I know that our clinic does the best they can to clean and have air purifiers that clear the air several times a hour but still we are doing so well now I dread going into a potentially dangerous place for her. If any of you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it. Also, what kind of mask is the best for really keeping out germs and where do you get them? Tiffany

creation301

I just posted a few days ago about the do' s and don't with cf and several people mentioned clinic check-up's being the most dangerous place. We have an appointment in a couple of days. I usually try to have our 20 month old wear a mask, and make sure she purells her hands often. I have also taken the hospital grade antibacterial wipes to clean everything that is her height in the room. Are there some other things that can be done? About six months ago after a visit she became sick with PA, could be bad timing or.... anyway I know that our clinic does the best they can to clean and have air purifiers that clear the air several times a hour but still we are doing so well now I dread going into a potentially dangerous place for her. If any of you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it. Also, what kind of mask is the best for really keeping out germs and where do you get them? Tiffany

creation301

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We actually stopped going to the local cf clinic and just see the head doctor at the peds clinic. We also see a CF doctor in the city a few times a year.

The CF clinic was overcrowded. Plus it was obvious they didn't clean too well. Last time we went our exam room smelled like B.O. Several of the staff members don't wash their hands. This is an accreditted CF clinic. We just weren't comfortable spending 4 hours plus in that environment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We actually stopped going to the local cf clinic and just see the head doctor at the peds clinic. We also see a CF doctor in the city a few times a year.

The CF clinic was overcrowded. Plus it was obvious they didn't clean too well. Last time we went our exam room smelled like B.O. Several of the staff members don't wash their hands. This is an accreditted CF clinic. We just weren't comfortable spending 4 hours plus in that environment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

M

Mommafirst

It really depends on your clinic. Ours has a pretty strong cross-contamination avoidance policy. No kid waits in the waiting room, they go right to a treatment room, and they are the only CFer in that room the whole day. Everything is wiped down with the hospital grade antibacterial wipes Etc. There are no toys in the rooms to carry germs from kid to kid. Everything can be wiped down and everything seems clean to me. So far so good. I am a little more concerned about the future when my daughter will have to do PFTs and all, but so far I've been pleased with the process.

If it makes you nervous, then follow all the precautions you can. Mask, wiping down the room, etc. I make sure I bring several toys that can also be wiped down. and anything that falls ont he floor gets put away till I can clean it off.

M

Mommafirst

It really depends on your clinic. Ours has a pretty strong cross-contamination avoidance policy. No kid waits in the waiting room, they go right to a treatment room, and they are the only CFer in that room the whole day. Everything is wiped down with the hospital grade antibacterial wipes Etc. There are no toys in the rooms to carry germs from kid to kid. Everything can be wiped down and everything seems clean to me. So far so good. I am a little more concerned about the future when my daughter will have to do PFTs and all, but so far I've been pleased with the process.

If it makes you nervous, then follow all the precautions you can. Mask, wiping down the room, etc. I make sure I bring several toys that can also be wiped down. and anything that falls ont he floor gets put away till I can clean it off.

M

Mommafirst

sullihs

My son is 5 and we take a portable DVD player with one of his favorite DVDs so that he will be so engrossed in it he won't try to touch anything. He usually only gets to watch tv during his CPT so it is a treat for him. I take certain movies that he doesn't normally get to watch (I will rent something new) and he will sit in his seat and not move the entire time. It works pretty well. He also wears a mask and I know they clean the rooms well because I actually watched the lady cleaning one of them one day. She cleaned everything...the chairs, tables, floors and even the walls. My son also does not currently culture anything so our nurses gave us a magnet for our fridge to remind us of the non-pseud visit days (they do not see pseud and non-pseud on the same days). She told us to always double check our appt day since the appointment desk could make a mistake and make his appt on the wrong day.

sullihs

My son is 5 and we take a portable DVD player with one of his favorite DVDs so that he will be so engrossed in it he won't try to touch anything. He usually only gets to watch tv during his CPT so it is a treat for him. I take certain movies that he doesn't normally get to watch (I will rent something new) and he will sit in his seat and not move the entire time. It works pretty well. He also wears a mask and I know they clean the rooms well because I actually watched the lady cleaning one of them one day. She cleaned everything...the chairs, tables, floors and even the walls. My son also does not currently culture anything so our nurses gave us a magnet for our fridge to remind us of the non-pseud visit days (they do not see pseud and non-pseud on the same days). She told us to always double check our appt day since the appointment desk could make a mistake and make his appt on the wrong day.

sullihs

At our clinic they have very good precautionary steps, they also strictly enforce them. From the moment she enters the building she puts on a mask and foams her hands, through each step of the visit, i.e. pulmonary function tests/doctor visit she cleans her hands. The rooms are also set up with anti-bacterial wash and no toys. Erin is very careful not to touch her face or eyes until after she's wiped down and in the car. Also, our clinic as well only has one cf patient in the room for the day.

At our clinic they have very good precautionary steps, they also strictly enforce them. From the moment she enters the building she puts on a mask and foams her hands, through each step of the visit, i.e. pulmonary function tests/doctor visit she cleans her hands. The rooms are also set up with anti-bacterial wash and no toys. Erin is very careful not to touch her face or eyes until after she's wiped down and in the car. Also, our clinic as well only has one cf patient in the room for the day.

kandi

I have to say being my son is 14 we don't have to worry about him touching anything much. Also our cf clinic upon arrival gives them each a goodie bag. It has purell, klennex, and a mask for him to wear. They have also just decided that upon our yearly check ups to bring in all his nebs and vest treatments so they can have him do one there so they can watch to make sure that everything is getting done properly. Some see it as invasion into their privacy and feel it as though it means they are doing something wrong. I see it as an opportunity to make sure we are doing everything that we can do to keep him healthy. If we are not doing it right or could do it better I would like them to tell me that. He is also on isolation because of him testing positive with msra. So I have to say I am please with our clinic.

kandi

I have to say being my son is 14 we don't have to worry about him touching anything much. Also our cf clinic upon arrival gives them each a goodie bag. It has purell, klennex, and a mask for him to wear. They have also just decided that upon our yearly check ups to bring in all his nebs and vest treatments so they can have him do one there so they can watch to make sure that everything is getting done properly. Some see it as invasion into their privacy and feel it as though it means they are doing something wrong. I see it as an opportunity to make sure we are doing everything that we can do to keep him healthy. If we are not doing it right or could do it better I would like them to tell me that. He is also on isolation because of him testing positive with msra. So I have to say I am please with our clinic.

kandi