Cochlear implants and CF

jlbrinson

Hello! My name is Jodi and I'm a mom of 3...2 of which have CF (Collin 6 and Maya 1). I've seen a lot of signature lines of CFers who have cochlear implants. Is this CF related? Is it due to multiple ear infections overtime? Just curious...my son has gotten a lot of ear infections but it hasnt seem to do any damage...yet. Thanks for enlightening me!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Hi Jodi,

I'm a moderator here and I have yet to see another signature line with another CFer who has cochlear implants besides me. You might be seeing my posts often around the forums. If you see anyone other than me, let me know what their username is.

Anyway, from what I know, the most common cause of hearing loss for a CFer is from Antibiotics such as Tobramycin (Tobi) and Amikacin. They are both ototoxic medications. Two major side effects are hearing loss and kidney damage. My hospital tests hearing before and during the length of the time on the antibiotics and may also check your creatinine levels though blood draws to check the kidneys.

In order to qualify for a cochlear implant(s) individuals (with CF or not) must go though testing first. You can't have too much hearing in order to have the procedure done. A lot of times hearing aids will help and cochlear implants aren't necessary. I personally don't think multiple ear infections will result in needing a cochlear implant.

In my own case, I lost complete hearing/Deaf from being on Amikacin I.V. LONG term. During that time period I managed to lose all hearing and mild loss of kidney function.

If anyone else has any related stories please share.