Colistin Side Effect?

Irishgal

I've always thought that colistin mmade me feel just "weird" & I hate doing it. I only do it now if I'm having a flare up or something. I've been on it now for 2 1/2 weeks & noticed the past few days that I was having weird neck pain/sensitivities, almost like a tingling sensation on the left side especially. Anyways, I skipped my doses the past 2 days & just started it again this morning. I was just watching tv & all the sudden that neck pain came back. Now I am convinced that it is from the colistin-so weird!!! I don't want to stop taking it, but don't know what else to do. I go for a PFT on Monday & if they have not improved since 2 weeks ago I have to get IV's. My doc thinks I'm nuts.
Has anyone else had odd effects on colistin?

Irishgal

I've always thought that colistin mmade me feel just "weird" & I hate doing it. I only do it now if I'm having a flare up or something. I've been on it now for 2 1/2 weeks & noticed the past few days that I was having weird neck pain/sensitivities, almost like a tingling sensation on the left side especially. Anyways, I skipped my doses the past 2 days & just started it again this morning. I was just watching tv & all the sudden that neck pain came back. Now I am convinced that it is from the colistin-so weird!!! I don't want to stop taking it, but don't know what else to do. I go for a PFT on Monday & if they have not improved since 2 weeks ago I have to get IV's. My doc thinks I'm nuts.

Irishgal

Irishgal

Irishgal

Wheezie

I have not had any weird side effects from Colistin...in fact I prefer it to Tobi (I'm assuming you're talking about inhaled Colistin as opposed to IV). But we all respond differently to meds so you're symptoms could definitely be from the Colistin.

What I did want to say though is that it is really not a good idea to start something like Colistin (or any antibiotic) and then stop for a couple days and then start again...it increases the possibility of developing a resistance. If the effects are really bothering you and you need to stop, stop. Call your doc and get on something else (Tobi maybe?? or an oral antibiotic if you're trying to control a flare up).

Also, who cares if your doc thinks you're nuts...it's your body, you know it best, and if the Colistin's side effects are intolerable for you, demand something else. There are alternatives. Just tell your doc s/he doesn't have to believe you, but you want to try something else anyway.

Good luck - I hope you can figure this out!!

Wheezie

I have not had any weird side effects from Colistin...in fact I prefer it to Tobi (I'm assuming you're talking about inhaled Colistin as opposed to IV). But we all respond differently to meds so you're symptoms could definitely be from the Colistin.

What I did want to say though is that it is really not a good idea to start something like Colistin (or any antibiotic) and then stop for a couple days and then start again...it increases the possibility of developing a resistance. If the effects are really bothering you and you need to stop, stop. Call your doc and get on something else (Tobi maybe?? or an oral antibiotic if you're trying to control a flare up).

Also, who cares if your doc thinks you're nuts...it's your body, you know it best, and if the Colistin's side effects are intolerable for you, demand something else. There are alternatives. Just tell your doc s/he doesn't have to believe you, but you want to try something else anyway.

Wheezie

Wheezie

Wheezie

princessjdc

When I was on Colistan it made me short of breath so the doc put me on Tobi and I have been on it ever since, though tobi I do get some side effects from but are more tolearable then the short of breathe I got.

princessjdc

When I was on Colistan it made me short of breath so the doc put me on Tobi and I have been on it ever since, though tobi I do get some side effects from but are more tolearable then the short of breathe I got.

princessjdc

princessjdc

princessjdc

jaimers

Super Moderator
i never had neck pain or anything like that with colistin but it did not work for me at all. it made me cough so much more (not in a good, productive way either) to the point that i was barely sleeping at night and making myself sick from coughing so much. i'd been on it a week and my pfts got worse so my doc took me off it. i have to use Tobi now which tastes terrible but at least it doesn't make me feel worse!

jaimers

Super Moderator
i never had neck pain or anything like that with colistin but it did not work for me at all. it made me cough so much more (not in a good, productive way either) to the point that i was barely sleeping at night and making myself sick from coughing so much. i'd been on it a week and my pfts got worse so my doc took me off it. i have to use Tobi now which tastes terrible but at least it doesn't make me feel worse!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator