Colistin...

azdesertrat

Hello, I hope you all are well.
I've started the Colistin treatments. So far, so good.
It seems like the only side effects I'm suffering is extreme dry mouth while sleeping.
I wake up many times a night with my tongue feeling like it was made out of cardboard. I have to keep a bottle of water at the bedside.
I'm kinda worried that the dry mouth problem will hurt my teeth. I've always had very healthy teeth; not pretty, but healthy. I sure hope they don't start falling out because of this.
Somewhere I heard that is why meth-heads teeth fall out. I guess meth dries out the mouth severely.
That, along with the meth-heads diet contributes to the dental problems.
I'd like to hear from anyone else doing this drug. Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas to all & a Happy, Healthy '13 to you all.:D

bigstar

Everytime im on IVs (not Colistin recently) I have mouth problems too. I experience a dryness and i usually have a horrible taste on my mouth. But the worst of all is my tongue. It feels burned, like it happens with hot coffee or tea. It is an awful feeling. It makes me feel so bad and totally eliminates my sense of taste. I dont know how to treat this or why is this happening.

azdesertrat

I guess I should have mentioned I'm doing Colistin via nebulizer, not IV.
Thank you for your input.
I have to do Tobi via SVN bi-monthly. That leaves a terrible taste in my mouth too. It also messes with my voice.
I'm pretty disappointed to have to get out the ol' SVN machine after going through all the crap associated with Transplant. I thought hat was all behind me. I guess it IS alot better than having to undergo IV meds though!
Thanks again. I hope you will be well through Christmas & New Year's and beyond...

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Don't have experience with colistin, but do with dry mouth. I had radiation treatment in the oral area, which killed the saliva glands. I have to do flouride treatments every night. If you want to keep doing colistin, but are worried about your teeth, talk to your doctor or dentist and see if they recommend you using stannous fluoride gel. I apply every night before bed, and just let it stay on my teeth all night.

The problem with dry mouth is that it is your saliva has the good bacteria that helps counter the decay causing bacteria in your mouth. The flouride helps strengthen your teeth against the bad bacteria.