Colorado Springs area

mistylavon

I'm wondering if anyone lives around Woodland Park, CO? Does the high elevation bother the CF patient? Is it hard for them to breath?
Thanks, Misty

mistylavon

I'm wondering if anyone lives around Woodland Park, CO? Does the high elevation bother the CF patient? Is it hard for them to breath?
Thanks, Misty

mistylavon

Thanks, Misty

65rosessamurai

I'm considered "mild case", but had been in the Colorado Springs area for about a week-long period, and had only encountered trouble when I did a 200 meter dash, one time!
One of the major things about the high elevation is the necessity to take on lots of water, to avoid dehydration.
During one of my several visits in Colorado Springs, I've seen a lot of elderly walking around with oxygen tanks, including my parents.
The one time I brought my new wife, we found out she was sensitive to the high altitude and had to "suck" on some O2 for a while, and I even took a few "tokes" before bed at night, for safe measures (and because the O2 was available).
There is one member on here from the Denver area (Denver is slightly lower in altitude than Colorado Springs), he goes by the name of "Mockingbird". He might be worth asking, if he doesn't happen to come across this post, first.

I hope this is a start for helpful information.

65rosessamurai

I'm considered "mild case", but had been in the Colorado Springs area for about a week-long period, and had only encountered trouble when I did a 200 meter dash, one time!
One of the major things about the high elevation is the necessity to take on lots of water, to avoid dehydration.
During one of my several visits in Colorado Springs, I've seen a lot of elderly walking around with oxygen tanks, including my parents.
The one time I brought my new wife, we found out she was sensitive to the high altitude and had to "suck" on some O2 for a while, and I even took a few "tokes" before bed at night, for safe measures (and because the O2 was available).
There is one member on here from the Denver area (Denver is slightly lower in altitude than Colorado Springs), he goes by the name of "Mockingbird". He might be worth asking, if he doesn't happen to come across this post, first.

65rosessamurai

Tdmngd

I'm also considered "mild case",but I do go to Denver 4 times a year for sporting activities and I don't have a bit of a problem.The only problem I've had is that their is hardly any humidity and it's very dry there,compared to where I live that has a about 40% humidity.I have to drink lots and lots of water to avoid dehydration.I hope that this helps you out.

----------------------------------
Elvis,38yr old male w/CF (39 in July)

Tdmngd

I'm also considered "mild case",but I do go to Denver 4 times a year for sporting activities and I don't have a bit of a problem.The only problem I've had is that their is hardly any humidity and it's very dry there,compared to where I live that has a about 40% humidity.I have to drink lots and lots of water to avoid dehydration.I hope that this helps you out.

Tdmngd

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We've vacationed with DS near Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an elevation of about 8000. We all make sure we drink LOTS of water, wear sunscreen. After the first day or so, we usually all adjust fairly well.

I've gotten a little out of breath, but it's usually when I'm catching a connecting flight via the Denver airport. We land in a small airplane at the end of the airport, walk out on the tarmac and then have to climb a couple flights of stairs to get into the main concourse to catch a flight on the otherside. It's a bit of a shock coming from the flatlands.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We've vacationed with DS near Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an elevation of about 8000. We all make sure we drink LOTS of water, wear sunscreen. After the first day or so, we usually all adjust fairly well.

I've gotten a little out of breath, but it's usually when I'm catching a connecting flight via the Denver airport. We land in a small airplane at the end of the airport, walk out on the tarmac and then have to climb a couple flights of stairs to get into the main concourse to catch a flight on the otherside. It's a bit of a shock coming from the flatlands.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

65rosessamurai

Oh, yea, I've had the same experience at Denver Airport...they ALWAYS seem to have my next flight on the OTHER side of the airport, or in some smaller section which we use a bus to get on it.
The neat thing is that I feel like Elvis when I'm walking out where all the airplanes are to climb up the big ladder to get into their two-engine plane!
I got a little out of breath at Colorado Airport, when my walking pace was increasing as I got closer to the exit and closer to my family with all that carry-on luggage I had!
Outside of that, I think Colorado Springs has WAY cleaner air than Denver! Every time we'd take off or land in Denver, there was some orange-ish kinda "fog" hanging over the city.

65rosessamurai

Oh, yea, I've had the same experience at Denver Airport...they ALWAYS seem to have my next flight on the OTHER side of the airport, or in some smaller section which we use a bus to get on it.
The neat thing is that I feel like Elvis when I'm walking out where all the airplanes are to climb up the big ladder to get into their two-engine plane!
I got a little out of breath at Colorado Airport, when my walking pace was increasing as I got closer to the exit and closer to my family with all that carry-on luggage I had!
Outside of that, I think Colorado Springs has WAY cleaner air than Denver! Every time we'd take off or land in Denver, there was some orange-ish kinda "fog" hanging over the city.

65rosessamurai

rotandroll

I was treated for years and years by Dr. Frank Accurso, who generally treats in Denver but I think has a clinic he does once monthly (or bi-monthly) in Colorado Springs area. Try your hardest to be seen by him, he is brilliant and innovative. He is a pediatric doctor but will treat adults in some situations, as far as I know. Research the clinic site to see him at and secure a clinic appointment if you can.

Also, I recently moved to San Francisco, but before the move lived in Denver (5280 feet!) for my entire life (24...) and never really had issues with the altitude, probably because I'd lived there forever... but good luck.

rotandroll

I was treated for years and years by Dr. Frank Accurso, who generally treats in Denver but I think has a clinic he does once monthly (or bi-monthly) in Colorado Springs area. Try your hardest to be seen by him, he is brilliant and innovative. He is a pediatric doctor but will treat adults in some situations, as far as I know. Research the clinic site to see him at and secure a clinic appointment if you can.

Also, I recently moved to San Francisco, but before the move lived in Denver (5280 feet!) for my entire life (24...) and never really had issues with the altitude, probably because I'd lived there forever... but good luck.

rotandroll