Commercial Driver's License

TCNJcystic

Does anybody here hold a CDL? Is it possible to hold one with cf? The web site isn't very specific as to what medical ailments disqualify one from holding a CDL. Thanks

TCNJcystic

Does anybody here hold a CDL? Is it possible to hold one with cf? The web site isn't very specific as to what medical ailments disqualify one from holding a CDL. Thanks

TCNJcystic

Alyssa

My husband has had a CDL for many many years. His best guess is you should be able to get it as long as you can pass the DOT physical -- which is not terribly difficult as long as a few key things are good:

You have to be 21 years old.

Your blood pressure is under 140/90
You do not have diabetes
You do not have heart problems
They will test your urine to check for sugar levels
They will listen to your heart and lungs - assuming your lungs don't sound too terrible, they probably won't disqualify you.

Here is a list that I was able to find (I know the blood pressure from this list is incorrect, they have moved it back to under 140/90) -- check out the DOT website for more info: See the bold section about lung issues -- sounds like they give you some leeway about that. Edited -- I take that back, if they decide your diagnosis is likely to interfere with driving" you may not be able to pass the DOT physical. My husbands blood pressure is not under 140/90 and he is currently unable to drive because he cannot pass the physical.

------------------------

No loss of foot, leg hand or arm.

No impairment of hand or finger that interferes with power grasping or no impairment of arm, foot, leg that interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks of driving a motor vehicle.

No history of diabetes that requires insulin for control.

No current diagnosis of myocardial infarction, angina, pectoris, coronary insufficiency, thrombosis, or other cardio-vascular disease known to be accompanied by syncope, dyspnea, collapse or congestive heart failure.

<b>No history or diagnosis of respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with the ability to control a motor vehicle. </b>

No current diagnosis of high blood pressure likely to interfere with driving a motor vehicle. (159/89 maximum)

No history or current diagnosis of rheumatic, orthopedic, muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease that interferes with the ability to control and operate a motor vehicle.

No history or current diagnosis of epilepsy or any other condition that is likely to cause loss of consciousness.

No mental, nervous, organic or functional disease of psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with operating a motor vehicle.

Distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 in each eye, field of vision of at least 70 degrees and the ability to perceive red, yellow, green and amber.

Ability to perceive a forced whisper in the better ear at no less than five feet, with or without use of a hearing aid.

No use of a Schedule I drug, amphetamine, narcotic or any other habit forming drug.

No current clinical diagnosis of alcoholism.

Alyssa

My husband has had a CDL for many many years. His best guess is you should be able to get it as long as you can pass the DOT physical -- which is not terribly difficult as long as a few key things are good:

You do not have diabetes
They will listen to your heart and lungs - assuming your lungs don't sound too terrible, they probably won't disqualify you.

Here is a list that I was able to find (I know the blood pressure from this list is incorrect, they have moved it back to under 140/90) -- check out the DOT website for more info: See the bold section about lung issues -- sounds like they give you some leeway about that. Edited -- I take that back, if they decide your diagnosis is likely to interfere with driving" you may not be able to pass the DOT physical. My husbands blood pressure is not under 140/90 and he is currently unable to drive because he cannot pass the physical.

------------------------

No impairment of hand or finger that interferes with power grasping or no impairment of arm, foot, leg that interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks of driving a motor vehicle.

No current diagnosis of myocardial infarction, angina, pectoris, coronary insufficiency, thrombosis, or other cardio-vascular disease known to be accompanied by syncope, dyspnea, collapse or congestive heart failure.

<b>No history or diagnosis of respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with the ability to control a motor vehicle. </b>

No current diagnosis of high blood pressure likely to interfere with driving a motor vehicle. (159/89 maximum)

No history or current diagnosis of rheumatic, orthopedic, muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease that interferes with the ability to control and operate a motor vehicle.

No history or current diagnosis of epilepsy or any other condition that is likely to cause loss of consciousness.

No mental, nervous, organic or functional disease of psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with operating a motor vehicle.

Distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 in each eye, field of vision of at least 70 degrees and the ability to perceive red, yellow, green and amber.

Ability to perceive a forced whisper in the better ear at no less than five feet, with or without use of a hearing aid.

No use of a Schedule I drug, amphetamine, narcotic or any other habit forming drug.

Alyssa

You do not have diabetes

------------------------