Common Cold & CF --- 11 Years old & Other Questions

VMillSM4L

School started back up on the 19th of August. By the end of the week, wouldn't you know it... his youngest brother comes home with a cold, then all his siblings, including himself dropped like flies. I immediately started calling up all the pediatricians, and the CF team. Strep culture was done, and the works--- all negative. Resulting diagnoses? A nasty viral infection that apparently swept through the entire school system, and we had to let it run it's course. He was prescribed Bactrim as a precaution, increased his breathing treaments/cpt to three times a day (normally two) and a mild nasal decongestant and his albuteral as needed (aside from normal prescribed dose). It's been a week now. No more sick symptoms. No more runny nose, (never got a fever), no loss of energy or appetite but this nasty, hacking, mucous cough. His lungs are "clear". Called the pulmonologist tonight and he thinks all the congestion from earlier may have aggravated his asthma, so he has started him on Prednisone 10mg 3tablets twice daily. Back down to two breathing treatments/cpts. I get so nervous. Everyone has a lingering cough, too. Every time he gets into a coughing fit and coughs the mucus up I get a panic sensation all over. I am scheduling an early PFT on Tuesday just to clear my mind. (Though his pulmonologist said to wait some time for the predisone and him being sick, that the %s would be all over the place)

Also, he takes Pulmozyme neb treatments twice daily (along with 3% HyperSal). A few of his pulmonologists are concerned as to that regiment, and they say he should normally be on one treatment. But he has been on the same prescription regiment for a few years. Has anyone else personally, or their children had to take two Pulmozyme nebs a day? :confused:

Furthermore,
Endocrine had ordered the weaning process off his synthroid (25mg), now he no longer takes it. He has been on synthroid since he was a baby. They are unsure if he needs to take it at all, so want to test his levels in a few weeks off it, to see where they are. Has anyone that has been on synthroid been removed from it?:confused: Are there any adverse reactions I should look for? The doctors say that reactions aren't common, but I am so overly protective of him, a sneeze and I panic.

G

Gorf

I take Pulmozyme once a day unless sick and in the hospital, then its twice daily.

VMillSM4L

I take Pulmozyme once a day unless sick and in the hospital, then its twice daily.

They are going to consider putting him down to once a day at the next appointment. The more they consider it, the more they think it will be a good idea. I feel more comfortable with the idea now, too. It was strange that the Pulmonology consults were split down the middle as to how his dosage should be, especially for the increase to three daily, which I thought was too much myself. I was relieved that they brought it back down again. We have already dropped him to 3% HyperSal from 7% cause it was more than he was needing. He used to take Pulmicort & Albuteral nebs, but has since been switched to Albuteral & Asmanex inhalers.

Justinsmama

I am so sorry you are going through this. We go through it every time Justin (8 almost 9) gets a cold. He has been on 11 antibioitcs in 18 months (1 for lymes disease and 1 for surgery to remove a piece of wood from his foot). He goes from normal to needing antibiotic and oral steriod in just a few days. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

VMillSM4L

I am so sorry you are going through this. We go through it every time Justin (8 almost 9) gets a cold. He has been on 11 antibioitcs in 18 months (1 for lymes disease and 1 for surgery to remove a piece of wood from his foot). He goes from normal to needing antibiotic and oral steriod in just a few days. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Thank You for your prayers and mine are with you and yours, as well. I am sorry to hear about Justin. That is so much medication in such a little time, especially considering the dose regiments. We have been so lucky with our son's immune system, so far. But on the occasions he does catch a cold, I get so anxious. Is your son's foot ok? Did it heal well? Poor thing. :(

My son had such a difficult time swallowing down the antibiotics (giant horsepills). He was relieved that the prednisone was is so small.
He seems to be sounding better, the mucus sounds like it's beginning to finally break up.