Composer F. Chopin

I

IG

Interesting to hear this again.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3320707
">http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...act&list_uids=3320707
</a>It's been around a while, so I'm surprised there hasn't been more research into it.

Also an interesting read <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/113/1/210.pdf">http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/113/1/210.pdf</a>

Hermit

Hey Steve,

I went to university for music too. I did opera and baroque voice performance, with my second instrument being piano.

I'm convinced that he had CF. His music has always been my most favourite of all to play on the piano, especially when I'm sick, because it feels for me like an expression and release of something pent up inside. I feel that the CF shows through his music.

Chris

Hermit

Hey Steve,

I went to university for music too. I did opera and baroque voice performance, with my second instrument being piano.

I'm convinced that he had CF. His music has always been my most favourite of all to play on the piano, especially when I'm sick, because it feels for me like an expression and release of something pent up inside. I feel that the CF shows through his music.

Chris

Hermit

Hey Steve,

Chris

M

MCGrad2006

I have actually heard this before...err at least I think I have. im saving the article to read later tho. VERY cool and interesting!!

M

MCGrad2006

I have actually heard this before...err at least I think I have. im saving the article to read later tho. VERY cool and interesting!!

M

MCGrad2006

lightNlife

This all just came to light within the last decade, and I think it's VERY interesting. My husband and I are both pianists (although he's the one with the degree in music theory and composition...I just play for fun!), so we've been reading all we can about Chopin. Researchers and historians think that his sister may have had CF as well. She died very young, and the suspected cause of death was TB.

I have a book called "Was Mozart Poisoned?" and it has a lot of interesting info about how some of the great composers met their demise. As I was reading about Chopin (who amazingly lived to be 30!) I was in awe of how similar his mannerisms and patterns of illness were to mine. Even to the extent of certain food causing problems for him. My favorite little bit of trivia about him was that he always wore gloves when he performed--presumably to hide the clubbed appearance of his fingers.

Whenever I play pieces that he wrote, I try to imagine what he was feeling when he wrote it. Experts say that his emotions came through very clearly in his works, and sometimes I can definitely relate to a particular "mood" of a composition of his. I often wonder if his nocturne's were written during those late nights when he couldn't sleep because of congestion or sinus pain. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was so.

lightNlife

This all just came to light within the last decade, and I think it's VERY interesting. My husband and I are both pianists (although he's the one with the degree in music theory and composition...I just play for fun!), so we've been reading all we can about Chopin. Researchers and historians think that his sister may have had CF as well. She died very young, and the suspected cause of death was TB.

I have a book called "Was Mozart Poisoned?" and it has a lot of interesting info about how some of the great composers met their demise. As I was reading about Chopin (who amazingly lived to be 30!) I was in awe of how similar his mannerisms and patterns of illness were to mine. Even to the extent of certain food causing problems for him. My favorite little bit of trivia about him was that he always wore gloves when he performed--presumably to hide the clubbed appearance of his fingers.

Whenever I play pieces that he wrote, I try to imagine what he was feeling when he wrote it. Experts say that his emotions came through very clearly in his works, and sometimes I can definitely relate to a particular "mood" of a composition of his. I often wonder if his nocturne's were written during those late nights when he couldn't sleep because of congestion or sinus pain. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was so.

lightNlife

TCNJcystic

Hello again. It's great to hear that we have some musicians amongst the group, and i hope this bit about Chopin interested some of you who had not already heard about it. To answer a few questions:

I study classical saxophone at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and am pursuing a bachelor's in music education. My theory behind my work is that the only time I felt like I was living my life in high school was in a band class. My band teachers shaped me to be who I am today, one of them evening stepping in as a surrogate father at times. I want to give a group of students that experience. We spend so much of our youth preparing for our lives that we forget there's plenty of life worth living in those first 20 years.

I grew up on jazz saxophone and can mess around alright with it...there's some recordings on my blog if you want to check them out. Now I only study classical with intent to take private jazz lessons again once I graduate and start earning the notoriously huge teachers' salary

As for Chopin wearing gloves while he plays, I feel like it may relate more closely to the salt content on his fingers (were he to have had cf). The salt content erodes things pretty quickly, take a look at your keyboard or your mouse clicker. Guitar strings, violin strings, saxophone laquer and other musical instruments I've touched have eroded due to high salt content. I bring this up because a picture of Chopin's hand I once saw showed that he did not have clubbing of the fingers.

Anyways, hope everyone has a great day!

TCNJcystic

Hello again. It's great to hear that we have some musicians amongst the group, and i hope this bit about Chopin interested some of you who had not already heard about it. To answer a few questions:

I study classical saxophone at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and am pursuing a bachelor's in music education. My theory behind my work is that the only time I felt like I was living my life in high school was in a band class. My band teachers shaped me to be who I am today, one of them evening stepping in as a surrogate father at times. I want to give a group of students that experience. We spend so much of our youth preparing for our lives that we forget there's plenty of life worth living in those first 20 years.

I grew up on jazz saxophone and can mess around alright with it...there's some recordings on my blog if you want to check them out. Now I only study classical with intent to take private jazz lessons again once I graduate and start earning the notoriously huge teachers' salary

As for Chopin wearing gloves while he plays, I feel like it may relate more closely to the salt content on his fingers (were he to have had cf). The salt content erodes things pretty quickly, take a look at your keyboard or your mouse clicker. Guitar strings, violin strings, saxophone laquer and other musical instruments I've touched have eroded due to high salt content. I bring this up because a picture of Chopin's hand I once saw showed that he did not have clubbing of the fingers.

TCNJcystic

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TCNJcystic</b></i>

I bring this up because a picture of Chopin's hand I once saw showed that he did not have clubbing of the fingers.

</end quote></div>

Your theory about the salt makes a lot of sense, but I'm wondering about the picture you saw. The only known photograph of Chopin does not show his fingers.

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TCNJcystic</b></i>

I bring this up because a picture of Chopin's hand I once saw showed that he did not have clubbing of the fingers.

</end quote></div>

Your theory about the salt makes a lot of sense, but I'm wondering about the picture you saw. The only known photograph of Chopin does not show his fingers.

lightNlife

</end quote></div>

TCNJcystic

I stand corrected. The picture I saw was actually a cast of his hand. There are is no sign of clubbing in the cast, but that does not rule out the possibility that his fingers may still have been clubbed. I cannot find the article I read, but they used it as justification that Chopin did not have clubbed fingers. Upon reconsideration, this cast certainly is not absolute proof of anything. Thanks for pointing it out!

TCNJcystic

I stand corrected. The picture I saw was actually a cast of his hand. There are is no sign of clubbing in the cast, but that does not rule out the possibility that his fingers may still have been clubbed. I cannot find the article I read, but they used it as justification that Chopin did not have clubbed fingers. Upon reconsideration, this cast certainly is not absolute proof of anything. Thanks for pointing it out!

TCNJcystic