Confused Mom need advice!!

HMS

Hi I have a 3 year old little girl and I did choose to say home with her and Stacey is right it's usually the Mom that has the biggest problem with it. It wasn't worth the risk to me but now she is in pre-school one day a week and was in a dance class. At some point we do need to let them be regular children in regular public places, I sill have a hard time and this time of year is the worst.
My clinic has become my second family and they tell me that they need to go on meds when they get even just a little cold because of the bugs and bacteria that develops in the lungs, the cold still needs to take its course but meds keep the bugs away.
Best of luck
HMS

HMS

Hi I have a 3 year old little girl and I did choose to say home with her and Stacey is right it's usually the Mom that has the biggest problem with it. It wasn't worth the risk to me but now she is in pre-school one day a week and was in a dance class. At some point we do need to let them be regular children in regular public places, I sill have a hard time and this time of year is the worst.
My clinic has become my second family and they tell me that they need to go on meds when they get even just a little cold because of the bugs and bacteria that develops in the lungs, the cold still needs to take its course but meds keep the bugs away.
Best of luck
HMS

HMS

Best of luck
HMS

HMS

Best of luck
HMS

HMS

Best of luck
HMS

T

TonyaH

Hi Sunshine,
I had a hard time understanding this in the beginning, too.

I think that because most general pediatricians are now trying to stay away from antibiotics whenever they can, it seems odd for us to hear our clinics prescribing over the phone. But, the name of the game is eradication with your little one's fresh new lungs. In time I think you will come to appreciate not having to run her to clinic everytime you have a lingering sniffle or cough. You and your doctor will learn how to "read" each other and treat accordingly.

I will say, though, to trust your instict. If you ever think there is something more going on than what a round of bactrim can clear up, tell your doctor. Most know to trust moms. We know our children best.
Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Hi Sunshine,

I think that because most general pediatricians are now trying to stay away from antibiotics whenever they can, it seems odd for us to hear our clinics prescribing over the phone. But, the name of the game is eradication with your little one's fresh new lungs. In time I think you will come to appreciate not having to run her to clinic everytime you have a lingering sniffle or cough. You and your doctor will learn how to "read" each other and treat accordingly.

I will say, though, to trust your instict. If you ever think there is something more going on than what a round of bactrim can clear up, tell your doctor. Most know to trust moms. We know our children best.
Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Hi Sunshine,

Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Hi Sunshine,

Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Hi Sunshine,

Good luck!

Foody

I am probably the odd one out here but I do not feel anti-biotics are the answer for cold and viruses and neither does our clinic which is highly regarded. Our feeling is to allow his immune system to fight the cold naturally with extra support nutritionally and with use of energy techniques (my preference). An antibiotic is not going to do a darn thing for a virus and our kids can develop antibiotic resistance just as easily as someone elses. If a CF child is allowed to go through a virus without an antibiotic (which can weaken the immune response to the virus in several ways) and can clear the mucus and stop coughing within 10-14 days then this is considered the normal course of a viral infection. If for some reason the child continues to cough or begins coughing when the original cold/virus did not come with one, then a culture and possibly a specific antibiotic could be helpful IF bacterial overgrowth is the cause for the continued cough.

If you do choose to use antibiotics during colds give a probiotic and stay on it to help support the gut during oral antibiotic usage. Other natural ways to support them during colds/viruses/illness without antibiotics:

We double up on CPT/vest, give extra vitamin C which thins mucus and boosts the immune system, give elderberry which is clinically proven to reduce time and severity of colds and particularly the flu. Elderberry can also be safely given once daily as a preventative to flu and respiratory and is used widely throughout Europe. We have also used UMKA during colds and it has helped tremendousely to clear out mucus naturally. Lavender in the bath will help soothe energy and relax muscles and helps with sleeping. Lots of water.

Foody

I am probably the odd one out here but I do not feel anti-biotics are the answer for cold and viruses and neither does our clinic which is highly regarded. Our feeling is to allow his immune system to fight the cold naturally with extra support nutritionally and with use of energy techniques (my preference). An antibiotic is not going to do a darn thing for a virus and our kids can develop antibiotic resistance just as easily as someone elses. If a CF child is allowed to go through a virus without an antibiotic (which can weaken the immune response to the virus in several ways) and can clear the mucus and stop coughing within 10-14 days then this is considered the normal course of a viral infection. If for some reason the child continues to cough or begins coughing when the original cold/virus did not come with one, then a culture and possibly a specific antibiotic could be helpful IF bacterial overgrowth is the cause for the continued cough.

If you do choose to use antibiotics during colds give a probiotic and stay on it to help support the gut during oral antibiotic usage. Other natural ways to support them during colds/viruses/illness without antibiotics:

We double up on CPT/vest, give extra vitamin C which thins mucus and boosts the immune system, give elderberry which is clinically proven to reduce time and severity of colds and particularly the flu. Elderberry can also be safely given once daily as a preventative to flu and respiratory and is used widely throughout Europe. We have also used UMKA during colds and it has helped tremendousely to clear out mucus naturally. Lavender in the bath will help soothe energy and relax muscles and helps with sleeping. Lots of water.

Foody

Foody

Foody