Connection between my sinus issues and new red wine allergy

W

welshwitch

Hi all!

Okay, this may be more of a "superficial" CF-related post...but here goes.

2 years ago I had sinus surgery to remove nasal polyps. All went great, and for the next year or so I was loving the new sinus experience.

Fast forward 2 years, and I'm pretty sure my polyps are back. My sense of smell is totally shot and I just have that "feeling" that my sinuses are messed up again.

A curious thing has developed over the past couple years, too. I've developed an allergy to red wine (not so much white) and if I have even one glass my allergies flare up, I get a stuffy nose, weezy, and sometimes get cough attacks.

It hit me tonight that there MAY be a connection between my polyps coming back and this weird new wine allergy. I have a feeling that if I got the polyps taken out, that I could drink red wine again? I mean, it's obviously not the ONLY reason to get the surgery, but an incentive :)

It makes me think that there is a huge connection between inflammatory foods/drinks and allergies.

Do I sound like a crazy lady? (Don't answer that LOL)

Otherwise I feel very healthy and great for a 33 year old. I'm even training for another half marathon this spring :)

B

bookworm

I was having a lot of problems with allergies to mold, dust and yeasts and tried this homeopathic remedy (about 7 bucks). http://www.vitacost.com/bioallers-allergy-treatment-mold-yeast-and-dust

I find if I don't take it, I wake up in the night coughing and having trouble breathing due to inflammation. After I take it, I can breathe and sleep. Don't know if it would help for you, but at 7 bucks - and not harmful - it's worth a try.

Beccamom

I don't know about any connection between red wine and sinus problems, but I have to go to the ENT Friday and I'm pretty sure sinus surgery is in my near future, so I really appreciate the happy thought about drinking red wine being a motivator for the surgery:). I need any happy thought right.

W

welshwitch

Ha ha :) It's really not something to be afraid of! It's a REALLY simple procedure, even non-CF people get it. I didn't even stay overnight in the hospital and I was out that same day. It's just inconvenient, and not the most pleasant experience. You have to take a couple days off of work, and I imagine as a mom that would be hard, too.

If I was guaranteed that I could drink red wine again without incident, I'm pretty sure that would be the tipping point. THink about some other benefits:

*Removing inflamed or infected tissue out of your nose will reduce the nasty stuff getting into your lungs -- the two systems are very connected.
*Improve your quality of life (breathing, taste, smell)
*Improve lung function

I totally get that surgery of any kind is totally scary, but I promise this is worth it. The only problem is that sometimes you have to get it done twice :p

PM me if you want to discuss more :)

jamieharris

I can feel your pain. I got balloon sinuplasty done by my ear, nose and throat doctor in Houston http://www.thesinusdoctor.com/allergy.html and it's all so much better now. The feeling of the stuffy nose and being unable to breath was just horrible. This is the first time I'm hearing of someone not being able to drink red wine after the surgery. Strange. Have you asked your doctor about it though?

G

gunelle

I have had that red wine allergy. It was before I got polyps removed. Haven't had red wine since then, so don't know if there is a relation. But could be...

suzee

I also have an allergy to red wine. After some detective work, it seems that I'm allergic to the histamines in the red wine. I also had sinus surgery over 10 years ago, but the allergy started only 2 years ago (so I don't think there is a connection). After speaking to a sommelier, he rec'd trying organic wines (there are only a few that can be labeled "organic" after following strict rules for production). I tried the Frey Natural Red (www.freywine.com) and also the white w/no problems at all. Hope this helps :)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Tannin or tannic acid has been added to red wine for centuries. Tannin is in black tea and a few other foods and it is established in causing migraines. No doubt more people have a mild histamine response to the complex VOC's that fast track to the nose.

I'm not a wine expert but one might be very helpful. Most boutique wine/liquor stores have one. Maybe a Merlot will meet your palate or one or more other wines might work.

Sorry you're sensing a sinusitis,

LL

W

welshwitch

Thanks everyone! In the CF world this is a very minor issue but we all love our small pleasures!

I have found that just drinking one glass is usually OK, as long as I'm not starving. Thanks again :)