Considering Disability

Lamp

Hey I'm new to this forum so bare with me. I'm 27 with CF and wanting to start a family. The copays through my husbands work are completely unaffordable! (Preachin' to the choir right!?) Anyhow I'm in the midst of TRYING to get copay assistance applications filled out for various drugs. I'm wondering though how far off am I from considering trying to get disability? If I was to work all my income and time would go to those copays and my health would suffer. If I don't get the assistance and stay home as well, then me and my husband will eventually be living in a card board box. lol! So just kinda wondering what others have done to try and make ends meet and has anyone attempted to get disability on the grounds of trying to maintain there health?

Lamp

Hey I'm new to this forum so bare with me. I'm 27 with CF and wanting to start a family. The copays through my husbands work are completely unaffordable! (Preachin' to the choir right!?) Anyhow I'm in the midst of TRYING to get copay assistance applications filled out for various drugs. I'm wondering though how far off am I from considering trying to get disability? If I was to work all my income and time would go to those copays and my health would suffer. If I don't get the assistance and stay home as well, then me and my husband will eventually be living in a card board box. lol! So just kinda wondering what others have done to try and make ends meet and has anyone attempted to get disability on the grounds of trying to maintain there health?

Lamp

Lamp

Lamp

JazzysMom

With the help of Beth Sufian my initial denial was appealed based on a few things other then the standard SS guidelines set for CF.

I didnt have the required hospital admits at the time nor was my FEV low enough. I did use Tobi tho. What helped me is the time needed which included time for naps in order to maintain my health.

My approval from SS also stated that due to my location & available employment that would offer wages within a certain ratio of prior wages....it would not be realistic for substantial employment to be obtained.

I am the only one I know of that the decision actually mentions available employment & wages versus availability of jobs as well as my medical needs.

JazzysMom

With the help of Beth Sufian my initial denial was appealed based on a few things other then the standard SS guidelines set for CF.

I didnt have the required hospital admits at the time nor was my FEV low enough. I did use Tobi tho. What helped me is the time needed which included time for naps in order to maintain my health.

My approval from SS also stated that due to my location & available employment that would offer wages within a certain ratio of prior wages....it would not be realistic for substantial employment to be obtained.

I am the only one I know of that the decision actually mentions available employment & wages versus availability of jobs as well as my medical needs.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I didnt have the required hospital admits at the time nor was my FEV low enough. I did use Tobi tho. What helped me is the time needed which included time for naps in order to maintain my health.
<br />
<br />My approval from SS also stated that due to my location & available employment that would offer wages within a certain ratio of prior wages....it would not be realistic for substantial employment to be obtained.
<br />
<br />I am the only one I know of that the decision actually mentions available employment & wages versus availability of jobs as well as my medical needs.

ladybug

Hey, Lamp...

I have been awaiting a decision on my initial claim since I applied in May. Its a long process.

You must meet the criteria for disability under social security's guidelines. You also must prove that you cannot possibly sustain gainful employment due to your disability (for example, could you sit at a desk for 8 hours a day 5 days a week?)

I don't know much about the SSI part of social security cause I don't qualify (if you or your husband make too much money and you're not essentially impoverished (taking into account your bills, medical bills, etc.) you're not qualified to receive supplemental income (SSI)

Julie is a GREAT resource on here for information on SSI/SSDI. She has recently set up a non-profit website that I encourage you to check out.

www.dafcf.org

She has done extensive research on SSI/SSDI and what she went through when trying to get it for her husband for over TWO YEARS (with appeals, etc.)

Good luck!

ladybug

Hey, Lamp...

I have been awaiting a decision on my initial claim since I applied in May. Its a long process.

You must meet the criteria for disability under social security's guidelines. You also must prove that you cannot possibly sustain gainful employment due to your disability (for example, could you sit at a desk for 8 hours a day 5 days a week?)

I don't know much about the SSI part of social security cause I don't qualify (if you or your husband make too much money and you're not essentially impoverished (taking into account your bills, medical bills, etc.) you're not qualified to receive supplemental income (SSI)

Julie is a GREAT resource on here for information on SSI/SSDI. She has recently set up a non-profit website that I encourage you to check out.

www.dafcf.org

She has done extensive research on SSI/SSDI and what she went through when trying to get it for her husband for over TWO YEARS (with appeals, etc.)

Good luck!

ladybug

Hey, Lamp...

www.dafcf.org

Good luck!

ladybug

Hey, Lamp...

www.dafcf.org

Good luck!

ladybug

Hey, Lamp...
<br />
<br />I have been awaiting a decision on my initial claim since I applied in May. Its a long process.
<br />
<br />You must meet the criteria for disability under social security's guidelines. You also must prove that you cannot possibly sustain gainful employment due to your disability (for example, could you sit at a desk for 8 hours a day 5 days a week?)
<br />
<br />I don't know much about the SSI part of social security cause I don't qualify (if you or your husband make too much money and you're not essentially impoverished (taking into account your bills, medical bills, etc.) you're not qualified to receive supplemental income (SSI)
<br />
<br />Julie is a GREAT resource on here for information on SSI/SSDI. She has recently set up a non-profit website that I encourage you to check out.
<br />
<br />www.dafcf.org
<br />
<br />She has done extensive research on SSI/SSDI and what she went through when trying to get it for her husband for over TWO YEARS (with appeals, etc.)
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />