Considering the choice of not lising.

Beowulf

I am right on the cusp of being listed. I am likely one good exacerbation away from having the numbers. However, I am considering more and more everyday that I do not want to be listed. I have not shared this with anyone except my therapist, and do not anticipate having my wishes easily supported.

I was wondering, for those who choose not to be listed allowing CF to run its course, how has it been for you to open up about your desires to others not to be listed, specifically immediate family (parents, spouse, etc.)?

Thanks
Beowulf

Beowulf

I am right on the cusp of being listed. I am likely one good exacerbation away from having the numbers. However, I am considering more and more everyday that I do not want to be listed. I have not shared this with anyone except my therapist, and do not anticipate having my wishes easily supported.

I was wondering, for those who choose not to be listed allowing CF to run its course, how has it been for you to open up about your desires to others not to be listed, specifically immediate family (parents, spouse, etc.)?

Thanks
Beowulf

Beowulf

Thanks
Beowulf

Beowulf

Thanks
Beowulf

Beowulf

<br />
<br />I was wondering, for those who choose not to be listed allowing CF to run its course, how has it been for you to open up about your desires to others not to be listed, specifically immediate family (parents, spouse, etc.)?
<br />
<br />Thanks
<br />Beowulf

Grendel

depending on if you think not to get listed is a selfish thing or not might give you some direction on how you share this with others

Grendel

depending on if you think not to get listed is a selfish thing or not might give you some direction on how you share this with others

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

NYCLawGirl

First off, I just have to ask: is it a coincidence that a poster named "Grendel" replied to "Beowulf"? If so, that's pretty impressive.

Okay, back on track. Beowulf, I personally think the decision about whether or not to get a tx is a very personal one. That's not to say it doesn't affect other people (it obviously does -- your family will understandably want you around as long as possible), but the bottom line is that you're the one who has to have the will to get through the waiting, the surgery, and the recovery. If you're not pretty much 100% on board -- and I say "pretty much" b/c I think everyone has some fear when facing this sort of thing -- then it's probably not going to be a positive step for you. Ultimately, much like the person who chooses not to go on life support or to have a DNR, your family will need to come to terms with your decision, for better or for worse.

I did choose to be listed, but I know people who have made the decision not to have a tx for various reasons. Most of them did have the support of their families, although I'm sure it was a tough conversation. As someone who doesn't have the experience, the best advice I can give is to be honest about your reasons and make the conversation as non-confrontational as possible. If your family reacts negatively, give them some space to process and grieve, and maybe don't expect them to be on board with your decision right away. I also think that if you have a therapist you should discuss this with him/her and get some professional tips on making this a productive conversation.

NYCLawGirl

First off, I just have to ask: is it a coincidence that a poster named "Grendel" replied to "Beowulf"? If so, that's pretty impressive.

Okay, back on track. Beowulf, I personally think the decision about whether or not to get a tx is a very personal one. That's not to say it doesn't affect other people (it obviously does -- your family will understandably want you around as long as possible), but the bottom line is that you're the one who has to have the will to get through the waiting, the surgery, and the recovery. If you're not pretty much 100% on board -- and I say "pretty much" b/c I think everyone has some fear when facing this sort of thing -- then it's probably not going to be a positive step for you. Ultimately, much like the person who chooses not to go on life support or to have a DNR, your family will need to come to terms with your decision, for better or for worse.

I did choose to be listed, but I know people who have made the decision not to have a tx for various reasons. Most of them did have the support of their families, although I'm sure it was a tough conversation. As someone who doesn't have the experience, the best advice I can give is to be honest about your reasons and make the conversation as non-confrontational as possible. If your family reacts negatively, give them some space to process and grieve, and maybe don't expect them to be on board with your decision right away. I also think that if you have a therapist you should discuss this with him/her and get some professional tips on making this a productive conversation.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />Okay, back on track. Beowulf, I personally think the decision about whether or not to get a tx is a very personal one. That's not to say it doesn't affect other people (it obviously does -- your family will understandably want you around as long as possible), but the bottom line is that you're the one who has to have the will to get through the waiting, the surgery, and the recovery. If you're not pretty much 100% on board -- and I say "pretty much" b/c I think everyone has some fear when facing this sort of thing -- then it's probably not going to be a positive step for you. Ultimately, much like the person who chooses not to go on life support or to have a DNR, your family will need to come to terms with your decision, for better or for worse.
<br />
<br />I did choose to be listed, but I know people who have made the decision not to have a tx for various reasons. Most of them did have the support of their families, although I'm sure it was a tough conversation. As someone who doesn't have the experience, the best advice I can give is to be honest about your reasons and make the conversation as non-confrontational as possible. If your family reacts negatively, give them some space to process and grieve, and maybe don't expect them to be on board with your decision right away. I also think that if you have a therapist you should discuss this with him/her and get some professional tips on making this a productive conversation.

melx

Beowulf.. this dialogue is such a special and intimate discussion. I appreciate your courage to even bring it up. I have often wondered about what my decision will be with this one day down the road. My gut has always told me to go out the same way I came in... With what I was given. Tough Tough to say and think about. And I'm still not sure that is what I would do. I have talked some with my husband on this... it has not been something he is even able to respond to ... but I know he looks hurt by it.
I guess you have to really talk it out, know your beliefs and values and especially your feelings and then talk and / or pray it out some more.

melx

Beowulf.. this dialogue is such a special and intimate discussion. I appreciate your courage to even bring it up. I have often wondered about what my decision will be with this one day down the road. My gut has always told me to go out the same way I came in... With what I was given. Tough Tough to say and think about. And I'm still not sure that is what I would do. I have talked some with my husband on this... it has not been something he is even able to respond to ... but I know he looks hurt by it.
I guess you have to really talk it out, know your beliefs and values and especially your feelings and then talk and / or pray it out some more.

melx

melx

melx

<br />I guess you have to really talk it out, know your beliefs and values and especially your feelings and then talk and / or pray it out some more.