constipated baby

anonymous

my 6 months old son is always kinda constipated....it is nothing painful but he goes to the "bathroom" several times a day and all he does each time is a small " hard ball" of poop....I wonder if he is taking too much enzimes? Or, is it normal to cf babies to be constipated??Should I change his diet ( now it is almost 100% breast milk)???val(mum of torin W/ CF 1/2 year)

anonymous

my 6 months old son is always kinda constipated....it is nothing painful but he goes to the "bathroom" several times a day and all he does each time is a small " hard ball" of poop....I wonder if he is taking too much enzimes? Or, is it normal to cf babies to be constipated??Should I change his diet ( now it is almost 100% breast milk)???val(mum of torin W/ CF 1/2 year)

anonymous

I'm a peds nurse. We often suggest using karo syrup in bottles. You could try about 1 tablespoon per bottle if you pump breast milk. You may also waqnt to try cutting down on dairy products and/or foods that cause gas, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage (that's in your diet, which can be passed along inn breast milk and can irritate babes.)

anonymous

I'm a peds nurse. We often suggest using karo syrup in bottles. You could try about 1 tablespoon per bottle if you pump breast milk. You may also waqnt to try cutting down on dairy products and/or foods that cause gas, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage (that's in your diet, which can be passed along inn breast milk and can irritate babes.)

anonymous

Hi -- Definitely discuss this with your CF doctor. Cf children can either have very loose stools (no enzymes) or hard stools which can lead to a blockage so you dont want to mess around with it. Your doctor will be able to tell you what is best. Generally, our CF doctor will prescribe mild laxatives to help with the situation or if my kids are very backed up than a stronger one. The key is your DR's opinion!! good luck!!

anonymous

Hi -- Definitely discuss this with your CF doctor. Cf children can either have very loose stools (no enzymes) or hard stools which can lead to a blockage so you dont want to mess around with it. Your doctor will be able to tell you what is best. Generally, our CF doctor will prescribe mild laxatives to help with the situation or if my kids are very backed up than a stronger one. The key is your DR's opinion!! good luck!!