Constipation Help!

bono40

Our Dr. had us increase my son's Miralax after he was only taking 1 capful daily. When we increased his enzyme dosage, I expressed concern that this would cause additional constipation problems. Since our son is already on the max dose for his age, they suggested (if he DOES have a problem) that we could give it to him dispersed throughout the day vs. all at one time. Good luck - - I know how frustrating this situation can be!

bono40

Our Dr. had us increase my son's Miralax after he was only taking 1 capful daily. When we increased his enzyme dosage, I expressed concern that this would cause additional constipation problems. Since our son is already on the max dose for his age, they suggested (if he DOES have a problem) that we could give it to him dispersed throughout the day vs. all at one time. Good luck - - I know how frustrating this situation can be!

bono40

bono40

bono40

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS switched to whole milk from formula we had some major constipation issues. We also figured he was also being a poop holder -- associating stooling with discomfort/pain, so he'd hold it in. Create a vicious cycle.

We were able to deal with his constipation issues with Milk of Mag because thank goodness it was short lived. But I do recall his doctor going over the different meds used to handle constipation and blockages -- miralax, mucomyst was one, go lytely for more extreme circumstances... And one thing he mentioned was that one might be tempted to decrease enzymes, but that can sometimes cause problems in the long run. Same sticky mucus that can cause meconium illeus in newborns can also cause something called a meconium equivilant -- stool gets backed up into the colon, yet you can still be stooling.

I do know a friend of mine's granddaughter is on miralax on a regular basis to keep things moving along.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS switched to whole milk from formula we had some major constipation issues. We also figured he was also being a poop holder -- associating stooling with discomfort/pain, so he'd hold it in. Create a vicious cycle.

We were able to deal with his constipation issues with Milk of Mag because thank goodness it was short lived. But I do recall his doctor going over the different meds used to handle constipation and blockages -- miralax, mucomyst was one, go lytely for more extreme circumstances... And one thing he mentioned was that one might be tempted to decrease enzymes, but that can sometimes cause problems in the long run. Same sticky mucus that can cause meconium illeus in newborns can also cause something called a meconium equivilant -- stool gets backed up into the colon, yet you can still be stooling.

I do know a friend of mine's granddaughter is on miralax on a regular basis to keep things moving along.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

CaliSally

I don't know if it's ok for kids, but Colace is OTC and works well. When I'm definately blocked, I've used enemas too.

CaliSally

I don't know if it's ok for kids, but Colace is OTC and works well. When I'm definately blocked, I've used enemas too.

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally