Constipation?

meaniejean

So we are still waiting to test for CF next Wednesday.
The ped put DS2 (4 months - exclusively breastfed) on lactulose for his constipation. We did two doses with no results, so the ped has upped to 2x/day along with daily suppository. He had us use a suppository yesterday and it just caused a bunch of brownish/orange colored water and mucus to come out and he screamed and vomited. The ped seems to think there is something hardened in there that needs to come out. DS1 did not poop at all today - even after two doses of the lactulose.

Do any of you have any experience with constipation that does not respond to lactulose or a similar product? Does it just take awhile?

DS1 is a whole other story - I think he has another sinus infection - probably caused by the staph in his nose that is causing the red bumps all over his face (including his upper and lower eye lid on one eye). The ped gave us Bactriban for his face a month or so ago, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. His cough was worse today, but I think it is just postnasal drip.

Ugh - I am so hoping that all of this stuff just goes away and DSs test neg for CF next week.

I would be going crazy right now if it weren't for you all and this site.
Thanks again,
Sandra

meaniejean

The ped put DS2 (4 months - exclusively breastfed) on lactulose for his constipation. We did two doses with no results, so the ped has upped to 2x/day along with daily suppository. He had us use a suppository yesterday and it just caused a bunch of brownish/orange colored water and mucus to come out and he screamed and vomited. The ped seems to think there is something hardened in there that needs to come out. DS1 did not poop at all today - even after two doses of the lactulose.

Do any of you have any experience with constipation that does not respond to lactulose or a similar product? Does it just take awhile?

DS1 is a whole other story - I think he has another sinus infection - probably caused by the staph in his nose that is causing the red bumps all over his face (including his upper and lower eye lid on one eye). The ped gave us Bactriban for his face a month or so ago, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. His cough was worse today, but I think it is just postnasal drip.

Ugh - I am so hoping that all of this stuff just goes away and DSs test neg for CF next week.

Thanks again,
Sandra

meaniejean

Thanks again,
Sandra

meaniejean

Thanks again,
Sandra

meaniejean

<br />The ped put DS2 (4 months - exclusively breastfed) on lactulose for his constipation. We did two doses with no results, so the ped has upped to 2x/day along with daily suppository. He had us use a suppository yesterday and it just caused a bunch of brownish/orange colored water and mucus to come out and he screamed and vomited. The ped seems to think there is something hardened in there that needs to come out. DS1 did not poop at all today - even after two doses of the lactulose.
<br />
<br />Do any of you have any experience with constipation that does not respond to lactulose or a similar product? Does it just take awhile?
<br />
<br />DS1 is a whole other story - I think he has another sinus infection - probably caused by the staph in his nose that is causing the red bumps all over his face (including his upper and lower eye lid on one eye). The ped gave us Bactriban for his face a month or so ago, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. His cough was worse today, but I think it is just postnasal drip.
<br />
<br />Ugh - I am so hoping that all of this stuff just goes away and DSs test neg for CF next week.
<br />
<br />I would be going crazy right now if it weren't for you all and this site.
<br />Thanks again,
<br />Sandra

Alyssa

I think it might be time to tell the doctor you want him checked out.... even before the testing next week, this blockage could get dangerous if you don't see some good results soon.

Someone with more blockage experience than me..... what is standard procedure for determining a blockage... can you see it on an x-ray or does she need to ask for a CT scan?

Alyssa

I think it might be time to tell the doctor you want him checked out.... even before the testing next week, this blockage could get dangerous if you don't see some good results soon.

Someone with more blockage experience than me..... what is standard procedure for determining a blockage... can you see it on an x-ray or does she need to ask for a CT scan?

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Someone with more blockage experience than me..... what is standard procedure for determining a blockage... can you see it on an x-ray or does she need to ask for a CT scan?

Buckeye

My son has constipation issues also. And yes, you can see the blockage on an x-ray.If the Lactulose is similar to Miralax it can turn the poop to a waterish consistency, but it doesn't sound like he even had enough of that come out to totally clean him out.If it were me and my son hadn't pooped in 14+ days I would take him to the ER. I know it might seem like you are bypassing the pediatrician and maybe going overboard, but you need to do what you need to do to get help for your son. If your pediatrician isn't helping, then by all means bypass him.If you go to the ER they are going to get the poop out one way or another and most likely do an xray to figure out what is going on. They would also test him for what is causing the problems in the first palce - CF or whatever. Really, 14 days is a long time not to poop.

Buckeye

My son has constipation issues also. And yes, you can see the blockage on an x-ray.If the Lactulose is similar to Miralax it can turn the poop to a waterish consistency, but it doesn't sound like he even had enough of that come out to totally clean him out.If it were me and my son hadn't pooped in 14+ days I would take him to the ER. I know it might seem like you are bypassing the pediatrician and maybe going overboard, but you need to do what you need to do to get help for your son. If your pediatrician isn't helping, then by all means bypass him.If you go to the ER they are going to get the poop out one way or another and most likely do an xray to figure out what is going on. They would also test him for what is causing the problems in the first palce - CF or whatever. Really, 14 days is a long time not to poop.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

<p>My son has constipation issues also. And yes, you can see the blockage on an x-ray.<p>If the Lactulose is similar to Miralax it can turn the poop to a waterish consistency, but it doesn't sound like he even had enough of that come out to totally clean him out.<p>If it were me and my son hadn't pooped in 14+ days I would take him to the ER. I know it might seem like you are bypassing the pediatrician and maybe going overboard, but you need to do what you need to do to get help for your son. If your pediatrician isn't helping, then by all means bypass him.<p>If you go to the ER they are going to get the poop out one way or another and most likely do an xray to figure out what is going on. They would also test him for what is causing the problems in the first palce - CF or whatever. Really, 14 days is a long time not to poop.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' blockage was determined on an Xray. I believe they ended up using contrast -- barium enema -- for clarification

I work with someone whose son has bowel issues due to celiacs or IBS and several times early on she had to take him in and have an impaction removed manually. Said it was HORRIBLE -- doctor apparently used a finder. IMO, take him to the doctor or the ER Especially with the vomiting. This has gone on too long.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' blockage was determined on an Xray. I believe they ended up using contrast -- barium enema -- for clarification

I work with someone whose son has bowel issues due to celiacs or IBS and several times early on she had to take him in and have an impaction removed manually. Said it was HORRIBLE -- doctor apparently used a finder. IMO, take him to the doctor or the ER Especially with the vomiting. This has gone on too long.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I work with someone whose son has bowel issues due to celiacs or IBS and several times early on she had to take him in and have an impaction removed manually. Said it was HORRIBLE -- doctor apparently used a finder. IMO, take him to the doctor or the ER Especially with the vomiting. This has gone on too long.