Coughing...right after IV's

M

MCGrad2006

I got my PICC out yesterday and tried to tell my doctor that I had started coughing again. I finished the medication wed night and by Friday, I was coughing. I'm angry to say the least. He did put me on Tobi and Zyvox, but neither of those worked the last time so I am not confident that it will do anything this time.

It seems as if every time I try to go off of some type of abx, I am sick within minutes (ok maybe a day). What do you do? What can you suggest to me...I feel like I have tried everything and done everything right. My PFT's were great, lungs sounded great, BUT WHY am I still coughing? I don't know, maybe I just needed to get this out, I am frustrated. I was feeling better on the IV's (but obv...with the wedding, I did not want to be wearing a lovely PICC).

Do you have a 'natural' cough all of the time? Maybe thats what this is. I mean, I still feel good and I am not coughing (or at least did not last night) at night. I just feel like it's only a matter of time before that starts up again and that is making me depressed...Am I over thinking?

M

MCGrad2006

I got my PICC out yesterday and tried to tell my doctor that I had started coughing again. I finished the medication wed night and by Friday, I was coughing. I'm angry to say the least. He did put me on Tobi and Zyvox, but neither of those worked the last time so I am not confident that it will do anything this time.

It seems as if every time I try to go off of some type of abx, I am sick within minutes (ok maybe a day). What do you do? What can you suggest to me...I feel like I have tried everything and done everything right. My PFT's were great, lungs sounded great, BUT WHY am I still coughing? I don't know, maybe I just needed to get this out, I am frustrated. I was feeling better on the IV's (but obv...with the wedding, I did not want to be wearing a lovely PICC).

Do you have a 'natural' cough all of the time? Maybe thats what this is. I mean, I still feel good and I am not coughing (or at least did not last night) at night. I just feel like it's only a matter of time before that starts up again and that is making me depressed...Am I over thinking?

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />It seems as if every time I try to go off of some type of abx, I am sick within minutes (ok maybe a day). What do you do? What can you suggest to me...I feel like I have tried everything and done everything right. My PFT's were great, lungs sounded great, BUT WHY am I still coughing? I don't know, maybe I just needed to get this out, I am frustrated. I was feeling better on the IV's (but obv...with the wedding, I did not want to be wearing a lovely PICC).
<br />
<br />Do you have a 'natural' cough all of the time? Maybe thats what this is. I mean, I still feel good and I am not coughing (or at least did not last night) at night. I just feel like it's only a matter of time before that starts up again and that is making me depressed...Am I over thinking?

cf4life

Allergies? Maybe it is from your aspergillus? Are you on Prednisone? If not, I would try that instead of more antibiotics. Sometimes a round of prednisone does wonders for me, especially if I am getting symptoms sooner then I would expect after a round of abx.

cf4life

Allergies? Maybe it is from your aspergillus? Are you on Prednisone? If not, I would try that instead of more antibiotics. Sometimes a round of prednisone does wonders for me, especially if I am getting symptoms sooner then I would expect after a round of abx.

cf4life

musclemania70

It may be 'just CF'. What I mean by that is, do you have any other symptoms? Increased wheeze, hemoptysis, more shortness of breath, thicker and darker mucus? Any of those?

Or its your 'normal' cough just more frequent?
I tried to tell my dr that once and they only thing they could say was--if you feel better than you did prior to antbx, then its probably just the whole CF thing. Nothing I could do to get it to go away. (it was my new baseline basically)

Try the predisone(sp?) next if you just got off antbx. That may help you.

Good luck.

musclemania70

It may be 'just CF'. What I mean by that is, do you have any other symptoms? Increased wheeze, hemoptysis, more shortness of breath, thicker and darker mucus? Any of those?

Or its your 'normal' cough just more frequent?
I tried to tell my dr that once and they only thing they could say was--if you feel better than you did prior to antbx, then its probably just the whole CF thing. Nothing I could do to get it to go away. (it was my new baseline basically)

Try the predisone(sp?) next if you just got off antbx. That may help you.

Good luck.

musclemania70

<br />
<br />Or its your 'normal' cough just more frequent?
<br />I tried to tell my dr that once and they only thing they could say was--if you feel better than you did prior to antbx, then its probably just the whole CF thing. Nothing I could do to get it to go away. (it was my new baseline basically)
<br />
<br />Try the predisone(sp?) next if you just got off antbx. That may help you.
<br />
<br />Good luck.

A

alluneedislove

I feel the same way. I am currently on a IV antibiotics and feel great but, as soon as i go off within a few days i feel like crap again. Its a never ending battle. Im hoping this time will be different. The worst is coughing at night and not being able to sleep. Do you have lots of mucus? Have you ever been on meds for aspergillus? I hope the dr. can figure out what the problem is, and when he does let us know.

A

alluneedislove

I feel the same way. I am currently on a IV antibiotics and feel great but, as soon as i go off within a few days i feel like crap again. Its a never ending battle. Im hoping this time will be different. The worst is coughing at night and not being able to sleep. Do you have lots of mucus? Have you ever been on meds for aspergillus? I hope the dr. can figure out what the problem is, and when he does let us know.

A

alluneedislove

tesorotiffa

Yeah, it could be your new baseline. I used to never have a cough, but over the past few years, I've noticed that even when feeling great, there's still a light cough there. My doc says it's my new baseline cough...

tesorotiffa

Yeah, it could be your new baseline. I used to never have a cough, but over the past few years, I've noticed that even when feeling great, there's still a light cough there. My doc says it's my new baseline cough...

tesorotiffa

M

MeasureInLove

I had the same thing happen. After two weeks of i.v.s my doctor had me in to see how it worked. I still was short of breath and wheezing (I seriously felt like a cat purring). They put me on a prednisone burst which helped tremendously. It helped to clear up the wheeze so I had an easier time doing my treatments and coughing up stuff. Also, I was still under weight quite a bit and that was making it more difficult to get rid of the infections so I also went on an appetite stimulant.

M

MeasureInLove

I had the same thing happen. After two weeks of i.v.s my doctor had me in to see how it worked. I still was short of breath and wheezing (I seriously felt like a cat purring). They put me on a prednisone burst which helped tremendously. It helped to clear up the wheeze so I had an easier time doing my treatments and coughing up stuff. Also, I was still under weight quite a bit and that was making it more difficult to get rid of the infections so I also went on an appetite stimulant.

M

MeasureInLove

mousesmom

Mesureinlove - sounds like you're lucky enough to have an attentive dr.

Don't you hate it when you want answers and all they say is.... "its a CF thing"

I wish the Dr's would liten more. When you're asking for answers it's usually because you know the symptoms are unusual for you, or you feel different.

mousesmom

Mesureinlove - sounds like you're lucky enough to have an attentive dr.

Don't you hate it when you want answers and all they say is.... "its a CF thing"

I wish the Dr's would liten more. When you're asking for answers it's usually because you know the symptoms are unusual for you, or you feel different.