Coughing to the point of Vomit

coltsfan715

Hey Jenn,

I got this alot the past year and there was really only one thing that helped to alleviate the vomitting. I will also add I was at a point where I would throw up EVERY time I would cough cause my coughing fits were so unbearable.

I found that if I could breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth a few times between every few coughs it helped alot. I ended up doing what you would do if you were hyperventilating - slow 'deep" breathing basically. Well as deep as I could at the time. Once I started doing this it pretty well stopped the vomiting. For me it was an O2 thing I think cause I would cough til I was dark red at times before I started using that breathing between coughs.

I normally tried to go for a few seconds each breath and take maybe 3 breathes or so before coughing again. I know it is kind of like suppressing a cough but the point is not to start doing the breathing in the middle of the fit, but to start doing the breathing anytime I was coughing really hard to prevent the continued hacking.

Take Care and hope you find something that helps.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey Jenn,

I got this alot the past year and there was really only one thing that helped to alleviate the vomitting. I will also add I was at a point where I would throw up EVERY time I would cough cause my coughing fits were so unbearable.

I found that if I could breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth a few times between every few coughs it helped alot. I ended up doing what you would do if you were hyperventilating - slow 'deep" breathing basically. Well as deep as I could at the time. Once I started doing this it pretty well stopped the vomiting. For me it was an O2 thing I think cause I would cough til I was dark red at times before I started using that breathing between coughs.

I normally tried to go for a few seconds each breath and take maybe 3 breathes or so before coughing again. I know it is kind of like suppressing a cough but the point is not to start doing the breathing in the middle of the fit, but to start doing the breathing anytime I was coughing really hard to prevent the continued hacking.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey Jenn,

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey Jenn,

Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey Jenn,

Love Linds

JennifersHope

Thanks for the tips so far.. I am coughing so much I am trying the breathing thing... Taking a few breaths... but I am at work right now.. I got myself into such a coughing fit and I was trying to calm it down and slowly suck air..but I vomited all over the floor in the trauma room...

Luckily I was by myself... I think it is just a reflex from coughing so hard...

I just emailed my nurse...

JennifersHope

Thanks for the tips so far.. I am coughing so much I am trying the breathing thing... Taking a few breaths... but I am at work right now.. I got myself into such a coughing fit and I was trying to calm it down and slowly suck air..but I vomited all over the floor in the trauma room...

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

Debi

Jenn, I've had those episodes also, and have tried all sorts of tricks. Two things seem to work for me. One is to slowly drink ice water or suck on an ice cube or popsicle - must be some sort of numbing action. The other is something a nurse taught me re: the nausea. She said to rip off the top of one of those alcohol wipes and run the little wipe under my nose and inhale a few times. It truly did stop the vomiting. Don't know if either of those will work for you, but they help me every time. Good luck. That's a crummy spot to be in.

Debi

Jenn, I've had those episodes also, and have tried all sorts of tricks. Two things seem to work for me. One is to slowly drink ice water or suck on an ice cube or popsicle - must be some sort of numbing action. The other is something a nurse taught me re: the nausea. She said to rip off the top of one of those alcohol wipes and run the little wipe under my nose and inhale a few times. It truly did stop the vomiting. Don't know if either of those will work for you, but they help me every time. Good luck. That's a crummy spot to be in.

Debi

Debi

Debi