Coughing up blood

SarahJean1976

I consider myself a very healthy CFer, yet every once in awhile "it" happens... and the worst part is... I always know when it happens... it just feels different... coughing up blood... It always seems like it is right before my timeof the month... and if I work my lungs, and heat... it could be all in my head, but that is when I notice it most... anyone else???
I hate it because I feel it inhibits me from working out... because I am AFRAID of the bleeding... I always clot quickly and no pain or anything... the doctors have told me for the lst 10 years that it is "normal"... but I like it no more than I did before I heard that...
I just want to share, because as I said before, I consider myself a "healthy" CFer... but this is driving me nuts!!! I am curious how many of us bleeders there are out there...
xoxo
Sarah jean

SarahJean1976

I consider myself a very healthy CFer, yet every once in awhile "it" happens... and the worst part is... I always know when it happens... it just feels different... coughing up blood... It always seems like it is right before my timeof the month... and if I work my lungs, and heat... it could be all in my head, but that is when I notice it most... anyone else???
I hate it because I feel it inhibits me from working out... because I am AFRAID of the bleeding... I always clot quickly and no pain or anything... the doctors have told me for the lst 10 years that it is "normal"... but I like it no more than I did before I heard that...
I just want to share, because as I said before, I consider myself a "healthy" CFer... but this is driving me nuts!!! I am curious how many of us bleeders there are out there...
xoxo
Sarah jean

SarahJean1976

xoxo
Sarah jean

SarahJean1976

xoxo
Sarah jean

SarahJean1976

<br />I hate it because I feel it inhibits me from working out... because I am AFRAID of the bleeding... I always clot quickly and no pain or anything... the doctors have told me for the lst 10 years that it is "normal"... but I like it no more than I did before I heard that...
<br />I just want to share, because as I said before, I consider myself a "healthy" CFer... but this is driving me nuts!!! I am curious how many of us bleeders there are out there...
<br />xoxo
<br />Sarah jean

RonnieSharpe

I have had many talks with my doctors as well concerning yaking up blood. I myself am a decently healthy 29 year old CFer with an FEV1 around the mid 60's to lower 70's. I've been coughing up blood since I was about 12 and of course back then I was blowing in the 120's. I've always been told the same thing when it comes to coughing it up. As long as you can continue to clear it and it doesn't get trapped in your lungs, it's really not a big deal. Infection can easily hide in the trapped blood, so if you are coughing up so much that it won't clear, then it becomes a problem. I've been surgically treated twice for it (being embolized), but that was after coughing up 1/2 of a CUP of blood for three days or more in a row. They also suggest that you stop CPT or the Vest and also your Pulmozyme if you see pure blood and then introduce one at a time back into the schedule after 1 day of no bleeding.

Sorry if I was all over the place. My main point is I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets to the point that you're coughing up 1/2 a cup or you can't clear it all. DM me if you have any more questions.

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

I have had many talks with my doctors as well concerning yaking up blood. I myself am a decently healthy 29 year old CFer with an FEV1 around the mid 60's to lower 70's. I've been coughing up blood since I was about 12 and of course back then I was blowing in the 120's. I've always been told the same thing when it comes to coughing it up. As long as you can continue to clear it and it doesn't get trapped in your lungs, it's really not a big deal. Infection can easily hide in the trapped blood, so if you are coughing up so much that it won't clear, then it becomes a problem. I've been surgically treated twice for it (being embolized), but that was after coughing up 1/2 of a CUP of blood for three days or more in a row. They also suggest that you stop CPT or the Vest and also your Pulmozyme if you see pure blood and then introduce one at a time back into the schedule after 1 day of no bleeding.

Sorry if I was all over the place. My main point is I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets to the point that you're coughing up 1/2 a cup or you can't clear it all. DM me if you have any more questions.

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

<br />
<br />Sorry if I was all over the place. My main point is I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets to the point that you're coughing up 1/2 a cup or you can't clear it all. DM me if you have any more questions.
<br />
<br />Ronnie

jdubbs

hi there - there was recent thread started by saveferris2009 about this topic. they are scary and i still remember my first one. i was about 15 on a golf course. i sort of think of them as nose bleeds from the lung. not a huge deal unless things really go crazy. they are definitely unpleasant reminders, however, that even "healthy" doesn't mean normal.

jdubbs

hi there - there was recent thread started by saveferris2009 about this topic. they are scary and i still remember my first one. i was about 15 on a golf course. i sort of think of them as nose bleeds from the lung. not a huge deal unless things really go crazy. they are definitely unpleasant reminders, however, that even "healthy" doesn't mean normal.

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs

Brad

With an Infection to Streak is kinda normal.
I have had some real good ones that even though I know
if I calm down they will slow down for the ride to the
hospital.
I had my left lung removed in 91, but before that I had some
bad ones that I would bring up mouths full of pure blood.
These are very scary to me. a tea cup at a time is a time
to act as my Doc would say.

But are You just getting specs Sarah? or is it all blood ?
either way the whole idea can be very scary.
But Just try and relax to see if it subsides..

I also cut back on the Nebs and CPT during these unpleasant times.
It is always good to Run it By Your Doctor.

Brad

hospital.

Brad

hospital.

Brad

hospital.

Brad

<br />I have had some real good ones that even though I know
<br />if I calm down they will slow down for the ride to the
<br /> hospital.
<br /> I had my left lung removed in 91, but before that I had some
<br /> bad ones that I would bring up mouths full of pure blood.
<br /> These are very scary to me. a tea cup at a time is a time
<br /> to act as my Doc would say.
<br />
<br /> But are You just getting specs Sarah? or is it all blood ?
<br /> either way the whole idea can be very scary.
<br /> But Just try and relax to see if it subsides..
<br />
<br /> I also cut back on the Nebs and CPT during these unpleasant times.
<br /> It is always good to Run it By Your Doctor.
<br />
<br />