coughing up blood

I also have had some bad bleeds. I have had to go in and have my lungs cotterized 3 times. Once in 2002 and twice in 2004 while I was pregnant. At that time they had to vent me twice which was really scary. For the person who said it felt like they were drowning, I am right there with you. That is the only way I could explain to people of how it felt. My Dr. has began to attribute the bleeding to TOBI so I am currently not on it and haven't been for some time. Since I went off TOBI I haven't had any sever bleeding and I am on Pulmozyme.

JazzysMom

I have a history of hemoptysis. Sometimes its from infection, sometimes from physically over exerting, sometimes from dry air. I get the gurgling sensation in my chest. There have been times that I hugged the toilet becaue of the frequency of coughing it up. I have never had cauterization (sp?) at this point. It has eased over the years. This might be due to the increase of Vitamin K in my meds. In addition to the ADEK vitamin, I take a seperate Vitamin K tab twice a day. I didnt deliver my daughter vaginally. Due to my history of hemoptysis, it was recommended that I deliver 4 weeks early by c-section as a safety measure. I have learned from experience that when I start bleeding to keep calm which helps to stop it sooner. I can do a couple of things. First thing is to not lay flat. I sit up in a chair or prop myself up in bed. I drink ICE water & have even put an ice pack on my chest. When I have bleeding I worry. Even tho its nothing "new" its still worries me & I think the cold helps control my temp & over all anxiety making it easier to control the bleeding.