Coughing Up Blood

jenna06

I have a 17 yr. old son who recently started coughing up blood. He usually produces up to about a 1/2 cup when he has these episodes. I have taken him to his doctor who just doesn't seem as concerned about this as I am. His doctor put him on Cipro and increased his vitamin k. Has anyone else has a similar experience and is this a common occurance for CFr's?

jenna06

I have a 17 yr. old son who recently started coughing up blood. He usually produces up to about a 1/2 cup when he has these episodes. I have taken him to his doctor who just doesn't seem as concerned about this as I am. His doctor put him on Cipro and increased his vitamin k. Has anyone else has a similar experience and is this a common occurance for CFr's?

jenna06

jenna06

jenna06

JazzysMom

It is a common occurence. If this is his first time I would be highly upset that the doctor isnt more concerned, but at least you contacted him.

Those of us who have long histories have pretty much learned to tell when there is a real problems versus a trigger that started the bleed. For me anything from PMS, excess caffeine or fatigue & straining to life something to an actual infection can trigger it.

For now I would suggest holding off on Pulmozyme if he uses it & any CPT he does until he is blood free for 24 hours. This is a typical response for a bleed, but if you arent comfortable with it run it past his doctor.

The extra Vitamin K is good. Ice water to drink & if was bad enough (you feel scared enough) ice packs on his chest. He really should NOT lay flat or over do anything until he is blood free.

IF the bleeds continue (fresh blood, not the old stuff that he might still cough up) than I would contact his doctor again. If you are just not sure then be a pain with the doctor.

Good Luck & Let us know what happens!

JazzysMom

It is a common occurence. If this is his first time I would be highly upset that the doctor isnt more concerned, but at least you contacted him.

Those of us who have long histories have pretty much learned to tell when there is a real problems versus a trigger that started the bleed. For me anything from PMS, excess caffeine or fatigue & straining to life something to an actual infection can trigger it.

For now I would suggest holding off on Pulmozyme if he uses it & any CPT he does until he is blood free for 24 hours. This is a typical response for a bleed, but if you arent comfortable with it run it past his doctor.

The extra Vitamin K is good. Ice water to drink & if was bad enough (you feel scared enough) ice packs on his chest. He really should NOT lay flat or over do anything until he is blood free.

IF the bleeds continue (fresh blood, not the old stuff that he might still cough up) than I would contact his doctor again. If you are just not sure then be a pain with the doctor.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

coltsfan715

I would try to notice if you can associate his bleeds with anything in particular - like Mel said their may be a trigger. For me I only bled a handful of times before I was transplanted and each time it was related to TOBI aerosol. I would do that med and within an hour be coughing up blood.

Other than that I would get blood streaking around the time of my period but nothing crazy or enough to be overly concerned about. If it continues I would keep pushing the doc for some answers.

I don't have much else to add - Mel did a pretty good job. I just wanted to mainly throw the possibility of TOBI being a cause because not many people think of that being a side effect of TOBI but it can be - it is just not as common as having bleeds due to Pulmozyme.

Take Care and hope that you get the situation under control soon.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I would try to notice if you can associate his bleeds with anything in particular - like Mel said their may be a trigger. For me I only bled a handful of times before I was transplanted and each time it was related to TOBI aerosol. I would do that med and within an hour be coughing up blood.

Other than that I would get blood streaking around the time of my period but nothing crazy or enough to be overly concerned about. If it continues I would keep pushing the doc for some answers.

I don't have much else to add - Mel did a pretty good job. I just wanted to mainly throw the possibility of TOBI being a cause because not many people think of that being a side effect of TOBI but it can be - it is just not as common as having bleeds due to Pulmozyme.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my older son had this happen last year too. He coughed up about 1/3 cup and then the same the following night. It freaked us out but wasn't a concern to the doctor. He told us they don't woryy unless it is more than a cup at a time. He told us to up the Vit k and stop the pulmozyme and HS for a while.

It didn't come back for a long time and then it was just a small amount. I'm so sorry for the people who have this happen often. It is so scary.

Hope you son gets better soon.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my older son had this happen last year too. He coughed up about 1/3 cup and then the same the following night. It freaked us out but wasn't a concern to the doctor. He told us they don't woryy unless it is more than a cup at a time. He told us to up the Vit k and stop the pulmozyme and HS for a while.

It didn't come back for a long time and then it was just a small amount. I'm so sorry for the people who have this happen often. It is so scary.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader