coughing up blood

I was recently hospitalized for 11 days because I was coughing up blood constantly. they finally did an embolization to cloterize the spots that were bleeding and I am now on a high dose of vitamin K, but, it being the first time it has ever happened, scared me and my family to death. I coughed up so much i had to have a blood transfusion. My question here is has this ever happened to any of you before? its just very scary and i've been out for about a week and half, but im still scared. just need some advice/encouragement here. thanks guys!

I was recently hospitalized for 11 days because I was coughing up blood constantly. they finally did an embolization to cloterize the spots that were bleeding and I am now on a high dose of vitamin K, but, it being the first time it has ever happened, scared me and my family to death. I coughed up so much i had to have a blood transfusion. My question here is has this ever happened to any of you before? its just very scary and i've been out for about a week and half, but im still scared. just need some advice/encouragement here. thanks guys!

whitney91

I never have coughed up that much but I have had 2 embolization's , in the past two years, but I've been coughing up blood off and on for a couple years. as we speak I've been coughing up blood for about a week, but my doctor says that its sometimes because of infections. & I know how you feel the first time I did it, I freaked out, but now I just kinda go okay time to go in, and tell my doctor, but after having the embolization's I havent coughed up nearly as much blood as I did when they first happened. It was usually about a cup of blood. Another concern I had was my PFT's after the surgery but they came back up to where they were, it did take an extra week of being in but they did. A really good doctor told me that he's had patients that cough up blood all the time and that have had nearly 8 embolization's and their pft's are in the 80's. So I mean you don't get used to it but you know when some thing is wrong. And I have a question uhm when you start coughing up the blood do you have a deep wheeze that doesnt want to go away before you start, like no matter how hard you cough you dont get anything up, and then there's blood?

whitney91

I never have coughed up that much but I have had 2 embolization's , in the past two years, but I've been coughing up blood off and on for a couple years. as we speak I've been coughing up blood for about a week, but my doctor says that its sometimes because of infections. & I know how you feel the first time I did it, I freaked out, but now I just kinda go okay time to go in, and tell my doctor, but after having the embolization's I havent coughed up nearly as much blood as I did when they first happened. It was usually about a cup of blood. Another concern I had was my PFT's after the surgery but they came back up to where they were, it did take an extra week of being in but they did. A really good doctor told me that he's had patients that cough up blood all the time and that have had nearly 8 embolization's and their pft's are in the 80's. So I mean you don't get used to it but you know when some thing is wrong. And I have a question uhm when you start coughing up the blood do you have a deep wheeze that doesnt want to go away before you start, like no matter how hard you cough you dont get anything up, and then there's blood?

whitney91

whitney91

whitney91

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Oh how scary for you and your family! My son coughed up blood a few times but not to the extent that he needed to be embolized. There are many people in the adult section whi have had your experience, maybe you could ask there too?

My son also describes a bubble/wheeze feeling before it happens. I can even hear it.

Good luck with your recovery!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Oh how scary for you and your family! My son coughed up blood a few times but not to the extent that he needed to be embolized. There are many people in the adult section whi have had your experience, maybe you could ask there too?

My son also describes a bubble/wheeze feeling before it happens. I can even hear it.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />My son also describes a bubble/wheeze feeling before it happens. I can even hear it.
<br />
<br />Good luck with your recovery!

D

donny71

I have also coughed up blood many times in the past. It started out just small amounts but over the years it increased in frequency and quantity till the last time where I filled 3-4 kidney basins (luckily I was already in the hospital!) They did a bronch ready to go in and put in ... one of those things to stop it but it had already stopped on its own.

I too got the bubbly crackles before it would happen...you get to know if it is a bad bleed, or small one... I did this slow breathing technique that seemed to slow the bleeding when it would happen.... In threw the nose, slowly, out threw the nose slowly... and of course I would be praying too that it would subside.. I did this also to help slow my heart down too.

Its always good to check with the docs to make sure you don't have an infection going on as well. take note of how you have been feeling in the past week, you to see if the "signs" are there.

D

donny71

I have also coughed up blood many times in the past. It started out just small amounts but over the years it increased in frequency and quantity till the last time where I filled 3-4 kidney basins (luckily I was already in the hospital!) They did a bronch ready to go in and put in ... one of those things to stop it but it had already stopped on its own.

I too got the bubbly crackles before it would happen...you get to know if it is a bad bleed, or small one... I did this slow breathing technique that seemed to slow the bleeding when it would happen.... In threw the nose, slowly, out threw the nose slowly... and of course I would be praying too that it would subside.. I did this also to help slow my heart down too.

Its always good to check with the docs to make sure you don't have an infection going on as well. take note of how you have been feeling in the past week, you to see if the "signs" are there.

D

donny71

D

donny71

D

donny71