Coughing up blood

saveferris2009

Hemoptysis definitely isn't normal for anyone with any disease. There is very high blood pressure in the lungs and a small bit of blood can turn into a great deal of blood very quickly.

We have had 2 people at my CF clinic in recent years die of coughing up blood (suffocated due to lungs filling up with blood).

So this isn't to be taken lightly and it should be treated especially if she feels she needs to be admitted.

Generally those who cough up blood are those with very high lung function and those with very low lung function, according to the literature. I fall into the high lung function category and cough up blood quite frequently (I toggle in between the 100s and 90s).

Getting embolized is an option if a CFer keeps coughing up blood throughout the years. I haven't had it done but I can imagine one day I may need to if the hemoptysis gets severe enough.

Best of luck. And i hope she decided to go in to get her IV's sooner rather than later. Permanent lung damange isn't worth a job.

saveferris2009

Hemoptysis definitely isn't normal for anyone with any disease. There is very high blood pressure in the lungs and a small bit of blood can turn into a great deal of blood very quickly.

We have had 2 people at my CF clinic in recent years die of coughing up blood (suffocated due to lungs filling up with blood).

So this isn't to be taken lightly and it should be treated especially if she feels she needs to be admitted.

Generally those who cough up blood are those with very high lung function and those with very low lung function, according to the literature. I fall into the high lung function category and cough up blood quite frequently (I toggle in between the 100s and 90s).

Getting embolized is an option if a CFer keeps coughing up blood throughout the years. I haven't had it done but I can imagine one day I may need to if the hemoptysis gets severe enough.

Best of luck. And i hope she decided to go in to get her IV's sooner rather than later. Permanent lung damange isn't worth a job.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />We have had 2 people at my CF clinic in recent years die of coughing up blood (suffocated due to lungs filling up with blood).
<br />
<br />So this isn't to be taken lightly and it should be treated especially if she feels she needs to be admitted.
<br />
<br />Generally those who cough up blood are those with very high lung function and those with very low lung function, according to the literature. I fall into the high lung function category and cough up blood quite frequently (I toggle in between the 100s and 90s).
<br />
<br />Getting embolized is an option if a CFer keeps coughing up blood throughout the years. I haven't had it done but I can imagine one day I may need to if the hemoptysis gets severe enough.
<br />
<br />Best of luck. And i hope she decided to go in to get her IV's sooner rather than later. Permanent lung damange isn't worth a job.

DarellW

Cough is one of the most common ailments affecting humans. I have read something related to this matter. Coughing up a lung could not be medically possible, but a 40-year-old asthmatic Englishwoman from Birmingham, West Midlands, came close to doing it, reports MSNBC. A protracted bout of violent coughing sent her lung through her ribcage. Source for this article: <a href="http://www.newsytype.com/14303-woman-coughs-up-a-lung/">Woman coughs up a lung</a>.

DarellW

Cough is one of the most common ailments affecting humans. I have read something related to this matter. Coughing up a lung could not be medically possible, but a 40-year-old asthmatic Englishwoman from Birmingham, West Midlands, came close to doing it, reports MSNBC. A protracted bout of violent coughing sent her lung through her ribcage. Source for this article: <a href="http://www.newsytype.com/14303-woman-coughs-up-a-lung/">Woman coughs up a lung</a>.