Could a sweat test give a false positive?

taty05

My son Jesus and daughter Esperanza were dx'ed 9 months ago, with a week difference. They had have genetic test, but we have not been able to find their mutation. It is been 9 long months. Could their abnormal sweat test lead to something else?

taty05

My son Jesus and daughter Esperanza were dx'ed 9 months ago, with a week difference. They had have genetic test, but we have not been able to find their mutation. It is been 9 long months. Could their abnormal sweat test lead to something else?

taty05

taty05

taty05

Buckeye

False positives are rare, but do happen and is normally caused by the nurse or tech doing the test not doing it correctly. There are some medical reasons you can get a positive sweat test result, yet not have CF, but many of them are fairly uncommon diseases/syndromes and their symptoms aren't consistent with CF. Here is a list of the diseases and syndromes that I found online a few years ago:"Adrenal insufficiency, anorexia nervosa, atopic dermatitis, autonomic dysfunction, <b>coeliac disease</b>, ectodermal dysplasia, familial cholestasis (Byler's disease), fucosidosis, G6PD deficiency, glycogen storage disease type 1, hypogammaglobulinemia, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Klinefelter's syndrome, <b>malnutrition</b>, mucopolysaccharidosis type 1, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, nephrosis, pseudohypoaldosteronism, psychosocial problems (Rosenstein & Cutting, 1998, Duddy et al, 1987)". I highlighted the two more common reasons.Have you had the sweat tests repeated? Are they experiencing symptoms of CF?My son is in the same boat, he had numerous high sweat tests (very high), yet genetics did not show anything. He was diagnosed based on the sweat test and symptoms.

Buckeye

False positives are rare, but do happen and is normally caused by the nurse or tech doing the test not doing it correctly. There are some medical reasons you can get a positive sweat test result, yet not have CF, but many of them are fairly uncommon diseases/syndromes and their symptoms aren't consistent with CF. Here is a list of the diseases and syndromes that I found online a few years ago:"Adrenal insufficiency, anorexia nervosa, atopic dermatitis, autonomic dysfunction, <b>coeliac disease</b>, ectodermal dysplasia, familial cholestasis (Byler's disease), fucosidosis, G6PD deficiency, glycogen storage disease type 1, hypogammaglobulinemia, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Klinefelter's syndrome, <b>malnutrition</b>, mucopolysaccharidosis type 1, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, nephrosis, pseudohypoaldosteronism, psychosocial problems (Rosenstein & Cutting, 1998, Duddy et al, 1987)". I highlighted the two more common reasons.Have you had the sweat tests repeated? Are they experiencing symptoms of CF?My son is in the same boat, he had numerous high sweat tests (very high), yet genetics did not show anything. He was diagnosed based on the sweat test and symptoms.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

False positives are rare, but do happen and is normally caused by the nurse or tech doing the test not doing it correctly. There are some medical reasons you can get a positive sweat test result, yet not have CF, but many of them are fairly uncommon diseases/syndromes and their symptoms aren't consistent with CF. Here is a list of the diseases and syndromes that I found online a few years ago:<p>"Adrenal insufficiency, anorexia nervosa, atopic dermatitis, autonomic dysfunction, <b>coeliac disease</b>, ectodermal dysplasia, familial cholestasis (Byler's disease), fucosidosis, G6PD deficiency, glycogen storage disease type 1, hypogammaglobulinemia, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Klinefelter's syndrome, <b>malnutrition</b>, mucopolysaccharidosis type 1, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, nephrosis, pseudohypoaldosteronism, psychosocial problems (Rosenstein & Cutting, 1998, Duddy et al, 1987)".<p> I highlighted the two more common reasons.<p>Have you had the sweat tests repeated? Are they experiencing symptoms of CF?<p>My son is in the same boat, he had numerous high sweat tests (very high), yet genetics did not show anything. He was diagnosed based on the sweat test and symptoms.<p>

taty05

Yes we have repeated the test on both of them with high numbers the two times, and with my third child, Eisa, he had have the sweat test four times, not succsefuly thouh, he does not sweat, but has almost the same symptoms as Jesus. Jesus has a history of severe asthma, got better after we stared "pulmonzime", and he was also having problems with his tummy and stools, he was placed on enzymes and seems to be doing better as well. My daughter has have a constipation problem since I can remember, causing recurring UTI's and urinary reflex grade 5. She already had re-implantation surgery done to prevent further damage to her already damage kidney; and as far of the genetics, they only have tested Jesus for the more common one, they are waiting for approval on the insurance to do the more extensive one. They want to find his mutations before they do testing on my other two kids.

taty05

Yes we have repeated the test on both of them with high numbers the two times, and with my third child, Eisa, he had have the sweat test four times, not succsefuly thouh, he does not sweat, but has almost the same symptoms as Jesus. Jesus has a history of severe asthma, got better after we stared "pulmonzime", and he was also having problems with his tummy and stools, he was placed on enzymes and seems to be doing better as well. My daughter has have a constipation problem since I can remember, causing recurring UTI's and urinary reflex grade 5. She already had re-implantation surgery done to prevent further damage to her already damage kidney; and as far of the genetics, they only have tested Jesus for the more common one, they are waiting for approval on the insurance to do the more extensive one. They want to find his mutations before they do testing on my other two kids.

taty05

taty05

taty05